Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Black Streak Removal Tips:

How do I get rid of those black streaks on the side of the RV?

Here are some answers from RV’ers around the world:

I've always used Starbrite Black Streak Remover from Wal-Mart and have had good luck with it.

Mr Clean Magic Eraser cleaning pads does a job on black streaks
the "erasers" do an excellent job on mildew on awnings.

Simple Green gets them gone fast, but also takes away the wax job

Awesome from DollarTree takes the streaks away as well, and leaves "some" of the wax. I used 409 until I discovered Awesome at the "Dollar Store." It costs a buck, and can be diluted for lighter jobs. Works great, spray, wipe and rinse.

A good friend of mine told me about Goop Hand Cleaner, I gave it a try and it will remove the black streaks without much rubbing.

Simply wash the roof, keeping it clean cuts down the streaking caused by rubber roofs.

Treating roof with a protectant made for rubber roofs. Waxing body of TT to keep the dirt from sticking.

I added gutter extenders from ‘Camping World’. They stick out a couple of inches past the normal gutter end, thus carrying the run off away from the side of the RV. You can simply use clothes pins on the ends of the gutters as extensions as well. The water runs down them instead of the side of the trailer preventing the streaks.

I use Full Timers black streak remover and it works great. You can pick it up at camping supply stores and Wal Mart.

Feel free to add in some more tips!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandsphotography View Post
i've used simple green on my new trailer so now i'm concerned about it removing wax. However, i just got it about a month ago and i'm sure it didnt get waxed at the factory or the dealer so my question is , what should i wax it with? typical auto wax? I've been using a wax called ICE on my truck and it works great. Should i try that or does anyone have any suggestions for a fiberglass trailer?
I use Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax Liquid. Pretty much anything that is good for your car paint is good for your trailer. I like the liquid stuff as it is easier to put on and take off.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Oxyclean

Oxyclean works like a charm on black streaks and dirty awnings. We had purchased some stuff specifically for campers, but it wasn't doing a great job. The white part of the awning had lots of stains and was just nasty looking. I told my husband we should try Oxyclean and it worked wonderfully. Note: Buy the real stuff. We ran out and I had an off brand. We could really tell the difference. The off brand didn't work.
cunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #4

i've used simple green on my new trailer so now i'm concerned about it removing wax. However, i just got it about a month ago and i'm sure it didnt get waxed at the factory or the dealer so my question is , what should i wax it with? typical auto wax? I've been using a wax called ICE on my truck and it works great. Should i try that or does anyone have any suggestions for a fiberglass trailer?
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #5

I washed and waxed my Sandpiper last weekend, removing most of the streaks using some Wally World stuff. Two days later the streaks were back with a vengance. I had washed the roof so I wondered where the streaks originated. The aluminum siding is in sections, running horizonally. The streaks began below the joints, not above, as they should if they came from the roof. So, I suspect that there is some type of sealant used where the sections join and moisture causes it to run downward, leaving the infamous "black streaks". I believe my only option is to keep some Wally World stuff handy, because regular soap won't touch it and that tells me it isn't dirt.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Knower of Some Things

Keep it covered or in a barn.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #7

We use a product called Reliable. Many people have recommended this product to us and it works great on both the rigid or smooth sided campers. (We have had both)

The problem is that, I can only find it in campground stores. I can't find it in Camping World or Walmart. Sooo, when I do find it I usually pick up 2 bottles at a time. It is about $6 a bottle.
lori08360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a black camper. (sorry, I couldn't resist. I know we'll pay for it later)
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori08360 View Post
We use a product called Reliable. Many people have recommended this product to us and it works great on both the rigid or smooth sided campers. (We have had both)

The problem is that, I can only find it in campground stores. I can't find it in Camping World or Walmart. Sooo, when I do find it I usually pick up 2 bottles at a time. It is about $6 a bottle.
lori08360, we also use The Reliable 1, Super Spray Cleaner, and it works great. FYI, you can get that in a 1 gallon bottle (again, at some RV stores), and then refill your spray bottles. A gallon will last me 4 or more wash jobs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote