Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Explorer

Black Tank cleaning, I think I’m different

I dump differently than most; I have never seen anyone do it like this and it seems to work. I don’t have a built in flush system.
I start dumping by wanting a slight tilt to help everything flow(wanting and getting…).
I hook up a clear SureFlow so its easy to see and easy to add water.
I like to shoot some water down the sewer hose first to help keep things from sticking, plus this test all the connections.
Pull the valve and let it dump
THIS IS MY UNIQUE PART: a back flush-slosh
I take two feet of sewer hose and make a dip and lift the end of the dip higher than the bottom of the black tank.
I turn on the SureFlow water jet and let the dip fill with water(gallon or so) as well as the bottom of the tank(3-5gl-ish).
Then I lift the two foot dip of sewer hose forcing the water into the tank than I lower the dip again. I do this lowering and raising of the sewer hose several times sloshing water back and forth in and out of the black tank. I can get a good rhythm going and can only believe the water in the tank is agitating.
Then drop the high point of the dip and let the tank dump.
I do this back flush slosh at least twice but up to four times until the water comes out clean. I do the grey tank too just not as much maybe once no more than twice.
I always open and close my valves while clean water is running through them at the end. Then I close the valves leaving the water running and shake the sewer hose all the way down the line to be sure its nice and clean.
I always add 3-5gl of water and a toss in deodorizer/cleaner when done. I try to dump when I leave a campground, bouncing clean soapy water down the road.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Other than back flushing, I do several things that I believe keep the tanks clean and operating well
First started with the purchase of the camper, I like a straight shot out of the potty, I like very short straight runs out of the tank and I like a big tank so I can easily go 6-8 days.
I changed out my potty, the original one had a large open, hard to clean, cavity between the flush valve and the floor flange. My new potty has a straight pipe from valve to tank.(I had posted this change with pics)
I talk to(train) my family about using the potty. We only use the best thickest softest paper one can buy which could/should cause problems. Use two squares wipe fold wipe toss, two squares wipe fold wipe fold wipe toss and if you need to wipe more flush and start over. The idea is more water, easy on the paper but do what you need to. Its hard to train guest but I talk to them too, especially if they are there for more than a day or two. My standard saying is “everything you put into my potty I have to get back out so please be nice”
I always do a major cleaning of the black tank at home soon after we get home. One back flush-slosh, I use the wand down the potty twisting turning and angling, then several times I fill the potty with water up to the rim and flush, then back flush-slosh one last time to be sure it all came out clean.
Also at home for grey tanks I use 2-3 gallons of very HOT dish soapy water and dump this down each sink and shower drain to clean out the P-traps and scum in the lines.
I also think ahead when camping and do a major tank cleaning about every 3rd-5th dump. Knowing or not knowing where we are going makes a difference in how I dump. Its much easier, less rushed, when we’re at a full hook-up site.
A quick cleaning at a dump station will take me 15-20 minutes, pull in to pull out. If I am doing a major cleaning it might take 20-30 minutes.When I am at home I take 45 minutes with hose and connector wash/rinse . I am always courteous, of others but almost never run into others on weekday mornings.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Its what I do and its has worked for us through two campers.
Hope something in this post might help
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

Great info! Your are definitely into cleaning that black tank! Lol. I loved your wipe fold wipe toss technique haha!

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

Yes, I also think you are different.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I like your idea of lifting the far side of the trailer a tad, I've thought of this myself. I would want to see the bottom of my tank before I bothered with it though...depending on where the exit is, it may or may not make a difference (my trailer has an enclosed underbelly).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Were i flush in Provincial Parks we have no connection for black tank flush. I do have the trailer on a angle and let er rip. Then ad some soap and water. When i get home i flush the black tank and rinse it out. No issue at all. When i do have Full hookups, only once this year, i flushed a lot and didn't really notice any major amount of bad stuff.
Next time out I will try this back slosh method,
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

I have heard about the "geo method"
Do you know how that works?

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Been using this method for three years and the flushing wand is gathering webs..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Been using this method for three years and the flushing wand is gathering webs..

What is the recipe? I hear water softener and liquid soap?

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I use cheap dollar store laundry soap and softener. Works.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

After dumping and flushing with the tank washer and before we leave the campground, I put about 2-5 gal of water in the tanks along with about a half gallon of SuperClean-Pinesol-water mixture and 2-3 packets of dishwasher soap. Immediately after setting up at the next campground or home, I dump the tanks again and flush with the tank flusher. Seems to work fine for us. We also have the Blue Streak that mixes a solution of SuperClean-Pinesol-water with each flush, so all liquid in the black tank has SuperClean-Pinesol in it.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimh64 View Post
What is the recipe? I hear water softener and liquid soap?

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
What a lot of us use is the Old Coot Mix: 1/3 equal parts Water, Superclean, and Pinesol
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
Retired on the weekends

I have the tornado flusher. It was inexpensive and easy to install. I use it after every dump cycle ( at sites with full hook ups) we don't put any paper down the toilet, we use the pleasantly scented garbage bags and take it out 1-2 times daily, with the dog walking. yes, more poop !

CLICK HERE FOR THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST RV GROUP
The RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
After dumping and flushing with the tank washer and before we leave the campground, I put about 2-5 gal of water in the tanks along with about a half gallon of SuperClean-Pinesol-water mixture and 2-3 packets of dishwasher soap. Immediately after setting up at the next campground or home, I dump the tanks again and flush with the tank flusher. Seems to work fine for us. We also have the Blue Streak that mixes a solution of SuperClean-Pinesol-water with each flush, so all liquid in the black tank has SuperClean-Pinesol in it.
What is 'superclean'?????

Steve
4x4FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FF View Post
What is 'superclean'?????Steve
Cleaning solution in a 1gal purple jug sold at Walmart. Similar to Simple Green

SuperClean Tough Task Cleaner-Degreaser, 1 gal: Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid & Car Lubricant : Walmart.com
Old 09-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #15

Gotcha! Thanks, I might have to give it a try.

Steve
Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #16

YoungKopernic,
While I respect your method and am glad it works for you, I would imagine the reason you have to go though such an obsessive technique is due to the paper you use.
I use the single ply paper that breaks down easily without making my guest uncomfortable with how they wipe. Drop a toilet pouch down there and move on.
I can clear the tanks in 5 minutes or less with no back up or odor issues.
No offense, but if I had to wait 20 minutes behind you at the dump station after a long weekend with the wife and kids, I would be honking the horn for you to wrap it up.
Take as long as you want at home or full hook up but not at the dumpstation.
just my 2 cents and thanks for the tips.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
YoungKopernic,
While I respect your method and am glad it works for you, I would imagine the reason you have to go though such an obsessive technique is due to the paper you use.
I use the single ply paper that breaks down easily without making my guest uncomfortable with how they wipe. Drop a toilet pouch down there and move on.
I can clear the tanks in 5 minutes or less with no back up or odor issues.
No offense, but if I had to wait 20 minutes behind you at the dump station after a long weekend with the wife and kids, I would be honking the horn for you to wrap it up.
Take as long as you want at home or full hook up but not at the dumpstation.
just my 2 cents and thanks for the tips.
crunchman
X2 on that.
20-30 minutes at the dump station is way too long when others are waiting behind !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #18

My observations:

1. NO thick TP--either Scotts or RV paper--that's it. Anything thicker and you'll be having errant sensor readings before you know it from paper stuck on them.

2. Big thumbs-up for the geo method. Used it with my old camper (which didn't have a BTF) and will continue to use it on the new camper, now that I do have a BTF it will be even easier to clean.

3. Agreed on the dump station etiquitte here--way too long. If you want to do that process at home, great, but not at a public or CG dump station. If your site has full hookup, then by all means, have at it.

4. I'd be careful with SuperClean. It used to be called "Castrol Super Clean" before it was bought out and/or re-named, and it was/is a powerful degreaser. I'd be a little worried about it damaging/corroding/pitting the sensors, maybe? Thoughts?

Seriously, I think you'll find the geo-method will save you some steps and time here. Water softener and laundry detergent, along with a packet or tablet of your preferred black tank deodorizer. Then lots of water is your friend--I used to refill and re-dump, then re-load with the softener/detergent/deodorizer for the next trip and a bit of water to get the process going. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #19

My sound like a dumb question, but where do you buy water softener?

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimh64 View Post
My sound like a dumb question, but where do you buy water softener?

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Walmart. By the laundry detergent. Calgon. It is a liquid.

Tags
black, black tank, tank