Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Black Tank Flush Hose Selection

Funny question, but maybe not. Do you use the same hose you use for fresh water when you use the black tank hose flush? Was wondering if there is any recommendation and back flush issues? Thanks - Karl
karlrmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Myself I don't I have two white hoses for water and one gray hose that is dedicated to the black tank flush if a park doesn't supply a hose at the dump station.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You'll get lots of personal OPINION on this subject.

Me... I use the same hose.
The black tank flush supply line has an inline check/anti-siphon valve built into it and I also use a hose shut-off right at the black tank flush connection...AND I stand there the ENTIRE time I'm flushing so if water pressure would suddenly drop, I can turn the shut-off immediately to prevent any backflow (if any) that wouldn't already be prevented by the built in check valve.

I have no concerns about contamination.

Some folks are anal about anything even coming close to their fresh water supply line.
If they only knew about the dogs that pee on the water hydrants and the folks that drape their sewer hoses over picnic tables to dry... they likely would stop camping!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

No. They're a different color and in the box w/ sewer fittings. A couple extra hoses isn't a big deal. $. half the time at the dump station the hose is either too short to reach or the threaded end is gone. You have to learn to adapt to what's there
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

Two separate hoses stored in two separate plastic bins in the storage compartment. All my fresh water stuff in in one bin and all my dirty water stuff in the other. Hoses and bins are cheap, why create a potential problem.

2011 F250 Lariat 6.2 gas 6 sp auto 3.73 rear 4X4 6.75í bed crew cab

Recurve R6 hitch
Hatchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

I use an inexpensive yellow hose that I purchased at Dollar general for the black water flush. I also keep it disconnected when we are away in case some kid should come by and turn on the hydrant to the flush. I don't want it over flowing and causing a mess in the camper.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You'll get lots of personal OPINION on this subject

Some folks are anal about anything even coming close to their fresh water supply line.
If they only knew about the dogs that pee on the water hydrants and the folks that drape their sewer hoses over picnic tables to dry... they likely would stop camping!
Yes, I have seen a dog pee on the water spigot which is why I carry a spray bottle of bleach/water to spray on the spigot. I also carry a second hose (one of those collapsible ones) for my black tank as well as an anti Siphon valve because I donít trust RV manufacturers.

Where it comes to the heath of my family label me anal.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #8

I made mine from an old garden hose that had ends smashed. 8' long and works perfect for our TT. Make as long or as short as you want. It's dedicated to the Black Flush only.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #9

I only use white hose (approved for drinking water supply), Black hose for tank flush or anything involving sewer.
I have a separate Grey Hose we use in camp for any washing of shoes, mats, floats, etc.
Black Sewer hose is kept in a separate bin from all the Drinking water hose, regulator, water filter, the FW tank fill nozzle.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Team

I use an expanding hose just for the tank flush and white water hoses for city water/FW tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I use an expanding hose just for the tank flush and white water hoses for city water/FW tank.
I do the same.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would use the fresh water hose except that I would have to be more careful letting the ends touch the ground around the dump station. With the dedicated hose, I really don't care.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlrmac View Post
Funny question, but maybe not. Do you use the same hose you use for fresh water when you use the black tank hose flush? Was wondering if there is any recommendation and back flush issues? Thanks - Karl
Reading the responses, I'll state my opinion.

NEVER mix potable water items with any grey or black water items.

I bag my potable water hoses and fittings in a sanitary bag, and I use zip-locs to hold smaller items such as the fresh tank fill adapter. I keep hose ends connected to prevent any critters or dirt from entering the hose end. I use quick connects on all fittings, so it's easy to keep things tidy.

I carry "Clorox Cleanup" spay cleaner to sanitize all fittings...including the hydrant...every time I connect. Let it sit for about 15 minutes while performing other tasks, then turn on the supply and flush out the lines until the "cleaner" is removed. I also spray a bit on the city water fitting and/or the fresh tank fill port and rinse them before connecting. Then, and only then, connect.

I have a 25' "dirty" hose for use with my grey and black tank flushes and draining. (My grey tank has a separate 1 1/2" outlet.)

Yes, dogs pee wherever, including on RV park hydrants. Thus the Clorox Cleanup. I even spray it up into the spigot. My confidence in sanitation begins on the pressure side of the shut-off valve.

Two hoses are a cheap investment. The sanitation routine takes only a few seconds with a pump sprayer.

As for the morons who drape stinky slinky hoses over picnic tables, that behavior borders on criminal. But I would never use a picnic table for eating without cleaning it first. Bird crap is enough motivation for that.

To each his/her own I guess, but given the fact that e coli can cause life-altering or ending illnesses, I'll continue to employ basic sanitation techniques and keep my family safe.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #13

No, we use the white hose for fresh water and we use one of those green hoses that expand for flushing the tank, the waste pipe and washing the car if we can. This hose stays with the waste pipe and we have a sprayer attached to it. The fresh water one is in the compartment with the electrical and cable. All it takes is a little contamination to come down with a stomach issue and that wouldn't be fun in an rv. A separate hose for flushing is cheap and the expandable ones are light and take up little room so why not.
SunseekerFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #14

I have separate hoses for drinking water vs water for my Sewer Solution macerator and black tank flush. More because on longer stays I have all of them hooked up at once than concerns about back wash. All connect to the water spigot via one 4 way splitter. I have mounted back flow preventers on each of the 4 splitter outlets.
I suppose some folks look at the mass of hoses in place when I do this and wonder...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
REL

I bought a 15' green remenant hose at Tractor Supply and keep it separate with the other dumping equipment.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, select, tank