Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
aka Windjammer2012
 
Crankshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
What was the cost of the Tyrons? Ask OP and never got a reply.
Paper work is in the TT. I am homebound for now due to surgery. Will let you know as soon as I can.
__________________
Wayne & Vonnie
Layla (American Eskimo dog)


2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJammer2012 View Post
Paper work is in the TT. I am homebound for now due to surgery. Will let you know as soon as I can.
Just a ballpark will do.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
aka Windjammer2012
 
Crankshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just a ballpark will do.
My DW reminded me that the paper work (purchase aggrement, etc.) is in the house...so much for memory.

We paid $1450 including wheel balancing for four. Probably too much for what they didn't do. But then I put much of the blame on the Chinese tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-20 12.02.58.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	35814  
__________________
Wayne & Vonnie
Layla (American Eskimo dog)


2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJammer2012 View Post
My DW reminded me that the paper work (purchase aggrement, etc.) is in the house...so much for memory.

We paid $1450 including wheel balancing for four. Probably too much for what they didn't do. But then I put much of the blame on the Chinese tires.
I guess it just goes to show us that nothing can be done to prevent a blowout. All we can do is keep them inflated to the correct pressure and avoid road hazards if possible and keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry you had trouble.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I guess it just goes to show us that nothing can be done to prevent a blowout. All we can do is keep them inflated to the correct pressure and avoid road hazards if possible and keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry you had trouble.
I think keeping at the correct speed limit also plays a big factor here.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I think keeping at the correct speed limit also plays a big factor here.
Good point, I don't worry about that one tho' as I don't pull over 65.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #27
aka Windjammer2012
 
Crankshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I think keeping at the correct speed limit also plays a big factor here.
I also believe in watching the speed. This blowout happened at 65 mph at 9 AM just south of Carlsbad, NM in April.
__________________
Wayne & Vonnie
Layla (American Eskimo dog)


2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,189
I have seen many a hauler well exceeding 65 when the trailer is on it's way to the dealer. So even if you never exceed 65 doesn't mean the tires never have.
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
aka Windjammer2012
 
Crankshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I have seen many a hauler well exceeding 65 when the trailer is on it's way to the dealer. So even if you never exceed 65 doesn't mean the tires never have.
So very true. Delivery from Goshen to Denver adds another 1100 miles plus possible excess speed.
__________________
Wayne & Vonnie
Layla (American Eskimo dog)


2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I have seen many a hauler well exceeding 65 when the trailer is on it's way to the dealer. So even if you never exceed 65 doesn't mean the tires never have.
And what if the tires were underinflated as well?
Our campers may be new when we pick them up, but the tires sure are not.

Not all Chinese tires are garbage, and some tires made in other far east countries are very good, in spite of what some claim.

Our fifth came with Duro tires, made in China, which have a reasonable reputation for holding up. But they were only C-rated tires, when the weight of the camper required D-rated tires to provide the suggested 20% extra load capacity for safety. So we changed them out for new ones.
If not for the load safety factor, I probably would have kept the Duros.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
2011 Forest River Stealth
 
rwtdct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In our case, we had checked tires less than 30 miles back when we stopped for gas. Sometimes, they just let go with no indication of a problem.
X2...........When a tire gets ready to go its going to go. Properly inflated or not. With Tyron system or with out. And no one can predict the damage its going to do, but count on some damage. Save that $1400.00 on damage repairs.
__________________
2011 Stealth CSFCK3214
2003 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4X4 7.3
2011 Polaris RZR 4
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,788
Send a message via AIM to B and B
bakken,

What did you replace the tires with? I am running 9100 lbs on the class c's right now myself, thinking of getting class d tires.

Brian
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 21,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
bakken,

What did you replace the tires with? I am running 9100 lbs on the class c's right now myself, thinking of getting class d tires.

Brian
If I recall correctly, bakken switched to Maxxis tires.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
bakken,

What did you replace the tires with? I am running 9100 lbs on the class c's right now myself, thinking of getting class d tires.

Brian
If you are running the original tires from Forest River factory ( marathon Goodyear) you are asking for trouble. One blow out has cost me $11000 in repairs. No one wants to take responsibility. Tire made in China not large enough to handle 35 ft fifth wheel. Recommend go to 10 ply top of line Michelin tires. Forest River as well as other manufacturers go the cheap route on tires and leave the customer out to dry.
Ronsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsimmons View Post
If you are running the original tires from Forest River factory ( marathon Goodyear) you are asking for trouble. One blow out has cost me $11000 in repairs. No one wants to take responsibility. Tire made in China not large enough to handle 35 ft fifth wheel. Recommend go to 10 ply top of line Michelin tires. Forest River as well as other manufacturers go the cheap route on tires and leave the customer out to dry.
Didn't know any FR product came from the factory with GY Marathons.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 21,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Didn't know any FR product came from the factory with GY Marathons.
Agreed and while we all have to make our own decisions, I'd be happy to have Goodyear Marathons on my camper over the no-name OEM tires it came with.

On edit: looks like Ronsimmons' Cardinal came with Goodyear Marathons (thread here). I just have to say that I'm surprised to hear these referred to as an inferior tire. They and the Maxxis tires (which I switched to) are generally regarded as a good ST tire.

I did re-read your post and see that you advocate for LT tires. There's certainly a lot to be said for them and it's something that is often brought up here.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.