Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Bragging or Crying

I read about, and talk about a lot of problems RVers have with their rigs. Just wondering how many RVers on here have been relatively free of problems when using their RVs? Myself, I have been fortunate I suppose over the past 7 years with our TT. Had a glitch when the furnace would not run right. Cycling problem. Looked up the problem in a book, and easily fixed it. Had a problem with the fridge this past summer, but that turned out to be because of extremely high ambient temps (120*F+ for 10 days) where we were staying. Added a helper fan at the outside vent psnel for a few days and cured that problem. Had a hinge go bad on a fold up table. Replaced the hinge. I now have a problem with the A/C unit. Seems the indoor fan won't run in "fan only" mode but works fine in "cooling mode". Even though this is an older problem, I have not looked for the exact problem causing that glitch. I know it started when we were invaded by a swarm of bees who tried to set up shop in the A/C unit. Thought I got them all cleaned out, but might have missed something. All in all, nothing really major has broken since we purchased this rig, so I feel very fortunate to say the least. We are full timers, and have been for the past few years.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Phat Phrog

We have been living in our XLR for a year now, while we build our new home , and the only problem we have, is our furnace. It works for a while, then it stops. We can hear the clicking, but it never ignites. We had it checked iGoshen, and they could not find a problem, because it worked fine. I hope our new home is far enough along to live in, come December! I am not looking forward to another winter using three space heaters again! Other than this issue, we love our rig, and I have enjoyed living in it!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

Our Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S has been trouble free.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

If you have a bug screen on the outside of the furnace port, take it off (at least while you use the furnace).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

We are near the end of our 3rd season in the Windjammer and still love it. Yes, we've had problems--some self induced and others that were factory issues. I have problems with my stick house as well. Fix them (house or trailer) and move on and enjoy the reason you bought it in the first place.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
We are near the end of our 3rd season in the Windjammer and still love it. Yes, we've had problems--some self induced and others that were factory issues. I have problems with my stick house as well. Fix them (house or trailer) and move on and enjoy the reason you bought it in the first place.
Well said. I think I could have written this post and replaced "Windjammer" with "Sabre".
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Resident Masshole

<knocks on wood>

Every problem I have had this year was minor and I was able to resolve it myself. It helps to view problems as an opportunity to learn something.

The latest one was not having any hot water. Turns out when I run out of gas and switch tanks, I have to reset (turn on/off) the water heater. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until I was actually in the shower...

I've also had to replace my toilet (Dometic 300 w/ odor issues), fix a drawer slide, and replace the lower screen on my door (don't lock your cat in your camper overnight!), and I have an occassionally noisy pigtail on my propane tanks. That one is on my spring to-do list to replace.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Our first fifth wheel was a Wildcat 27RK and was pretty much trouble free. We had so many great trips in it that when we wanted a bit more room we bought a Wildcat 28RK. What a mistake,that fifth wheel was one headache after another. Every trip brought new issues. We are now completing our second season with our Silverback and it too has been almost trouble free. RVing is fun again.

I doubt that anyone could say they haven’t had a single issue with their trailer. Everytime you tow your trailer down the road it’s like subjecting your house to a 3.0 magnitude earthquake. Over time issues are bound to arise.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

Pick your poison so to speak. Spend time on truck message boards, boat message boards, you name it and you'll see pretty much the same behavior. It's rare that someone will start a thread saying 'wow, I've had ZERO issues with my ____'.

That being said I do believe QC in the RV industry is a joke. However, on the flip side I also believe a huge amount of the issues can be fixed by the owner and in a number of cases can be prevented by the owner as well.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
We have been living in our XLR for a year now, while we build our new home , and the only problem we have, is our furnace. It works for a while, then it stops. We can hear the clicking, but it never ignites. We had it checked iGoshen, and they could not find a problem, because it worked fine. I hope our new home is far enough along to live in, come December! I am not looking forward to another winter using three space heaters again! Other than this issue, we love our rig, and I have enjoyed living in it!
I hope you get your place done too RV Chick! You go girl. True spirit of pioneering in the modern world.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

No real trouble so far. Only minor stuff that I took care of myself.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

We only had a problem with the lh landing jack which was fixed by the dealer within a week of reporting it altho I had to do fix it after it was fixed by an incompetent tech. Took him about 3 hrs to r & r and it took me an hr to re-assemble what he messed up. No problems other than that. Very pleased with the unit after I made a couple of mods.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #13

Some minor issues with our Flagstaff that is now 2 years old. But nothing too bad. I do believe that quality control has suffered in the RV industry though. Could be that they are trying to cram too much into these newer ones. Previously we had a sunline that we kept for over 12 years, never gave us any problems. I would expect some minor issues with anything purchased today after all there are a lot of parts from other manufactures that are installed. We still have a minor leak under the kitchen sink that the dealer or us can't pinpoint the source. We just keep a coffee can under there and empty it from time to time. Very minor and intermittent leak. Sometimes goes a few days with nothing ending up in the can. We check it daily.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #14

"Knock on wood" no problems with our Roo 25rs, I did call and replaced our toilet when I saw the issues other ppl were having odor issues, figured I'd nip that one in the bud just in case.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Well said. I think I could have written this post and replaced "Windjammer" with "Sabre".
I could change that to 4 year old V-Lite

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Very pleased with the unit after I made a couple of mods.

A few mods? Are you kidding? I think you can officially remove the Forest River sticker and replace it with an "Old Coot" one.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #17

I would not say I have been problem free but in realisticly there were very little issues other than a bent axle that may or may not have been that way when I purchased used. There have been litle things inside the RV like the main cabinet hinge pulling out, the panneling around the bed comming off, a spot or 2 needing re caulked on the roof and a few other minor details. I recently had a bearing failure that i cant really blame on the MFGR as the trailer is 3 years old now and its my fault for not doing the PM as I should have to ID the bad Bearings. So is life. Our Coachmen has been for the most part problem free. Cross our fingers for next year.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #18

We own the cedar creek silverback and the quality of the cabinets is just not there. Many areas where the laminate is peeling and a couple we didn't see upon deliver where they peeled the veneer off while installing them. The drawers and cabinet door also were not aligned properly.
There was a lot of thought put into this camper when designing it but not much care when building it. We really like the cathedral ceilings on the slides. The dining table is also not very sturdy it rocks and swivels. It could have been designed better.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
A few mods? Are you kidding? I think you can officially remove the Forest River sticker and replace it with an "Old Coot" one.
As our two boys say, "It's be Dunnized" a little.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Site Team

TT is 3 years old and I only had one little problem.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote