Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #1

Brake, turn-signal, light monitor?

Anyone aware of a rear trailer light monitor (wireless preferred) available for single person/driver? Widowed three years now.....sorely miss my wife of 44 years. How do I do do a "light check" ....the real problem is the brake lights.
Jayhawk62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #2

I suspect there is not one out there that is wired to the trailer. The problem is you could check the power at the light but the bulb/led could still be out. I’ve used a mirror, the garage door (reflecting off), and a 2x4 holding brake against seat. Sorry about your loss.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

I once had an '84 Eldorado that had little lights above the rear window on the inside. Really handy. Those were the days! I guess reflection on large windows (businesses) will have to work for the brakes....the others I can just get exercise getting in and out of the tow vehicle.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

Brake light check--

I have searched the internet for a rear trailer light monitor and can find none. Having lost my wife (her death, did not run away) about 3 years ago, I must now do some things alone....the brake lights are the problem. Should I carry a brick or fashion a stick to prop the tow vehicle's brake down/applied? Any help would be appreciated. A "replacement" for my wife is not available.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #5

Cool

I've done exactly what you mentioned - a stick jammed between the driver's seat and the brake pedal. After that, I took the stick out, turned on the headlights and the 4-way flashers to check turn signals, tail lights and clearance lights.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

Is there any circuitry difference between the 4 way flashers and the brake lights? Is it possible to have the 4 way flashers work without having the brake lights work?
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Depending on the vehicle... if the flashers work, so will the brake lights. Same bulb same circuitry.

There are exceptions so without knowing what vehicle you have it isn't a given.
Also many newer tow vehicles have a light circuitry test in the on screen display when the trailer is connected.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #8

I will try that....hope my Jeep is wired that way. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Get a brand new Chevy or GMC with the advanced trailering system. One of the features is a light check. Before that, I would use my ice scraper/brush and wedge it between the brake pedal and the seat for the brake light check.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
Is there any circuitry difference between the 4 way flashers and the brake lights? Is it possible to have the 4 way flashers work without having the brake lights work?
Four way flashers are independent of the brake lights. Brake lights can be activated a number of ways, depending on manufacturer. There are switches activated by pushing down the brake pedal. The are brake lights activated by increased pressure in the master cylinder when the brake pedal is pushed. And I'm sure there are other technologies. So I would not count on four way flashers being an indication of the entire brake light circuit working. All the four ways do is confirm the bulbs are working. And that's only applicable if the same bulb is used for both. Many vehicles have separate bulbs, especially if you have amber rear turn signals/four way flashers.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk62 View Post
Anyone aware of a rear trailer light monitor (wireless preferred) available for single person/driver? Widowed three years now.....sorely miss my wife of 44 years. How do I do do a "light check" ....the real problem is the brake lights.
Jayhawk……

Sorry for your loss.

Your profile says you have an Rpod trailer, and I believe all Rpods have red taillights that are running, brake and four ways.
You should be able to test your entire lighting system once by turning your entire lighting system ON and activating your hazards or four ways.
One walk around the entire vehicle and trailer should do ya.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #12

Doesn't take high tech.

The 4-ways will confirm the wiring and bulbs work. A glance at the wiring diagram will tell you if they work the brake lights and turn signals work -- these just interrupt the signal to make a blink. Turn the blinkers on one at a time. The brakes should be obvious any dark night in the driveway. Or the nearest strip mall and the back of the trailer pointed at one of the big windows.

Next tow vehicle get a Ford with HD Tow. Any burned out lights will be flagged in a dash message.

-- Chuck
Old 08-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk62 View Post
I back up close to a wall or garage door at night. can see lights with mirrors when on.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:20 AM   #14

My 2005 Jeep can be checked with the flashers. Turn signals generally blink faster when there is a bulb out. My wife had a bad fall recently and hit the concrete hard enough to knock her out. I had a couple of moments of feeling what it will be like when she is gone. My heart goes out to you.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:41 AM   #15

The light bulbs, or LEDs have two filaments or circuits,

One for the tail Light function, this is the dimmest of the two.

One for the Turn Signals (one side at a time flashing) , Brake Lights (both sides on continuously at the same time) and Flashers (both sides flashing at the same time) This is the brightest filament.

To check just put the vehicle in park, turn the lights and flashers on and go back there, you should see the running lights illuminated and the tail lights alternating between bright and dim...........easy peasy.

Tags
check, light