Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #1

Breaking camp

I learned something from a fellow rv'er that I'd like to pass along. Most of us break camp on the morning we leave. That means handling sometimes wet cables and hoses - and the pesky sewer line.

Instead, after cleaning up the night before - after showering, doing dishes, etc., I put water in my fresh water tank first. Then empty my black and gray tanks. After that, I stow the water line and the sewer line. Now, in the morning, all that's left are the elect and tv cables. Sure makes leaving easier.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #2

Man so much different. I only boondock camp so it's a completely different routine for me.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #3

There has been several times when I started to break camp late the night before we left. Stow the awning, clean up chairs and outside stuff knowing that in the morning it was time to hit the road. I'd usually leave the sewer connections and water so that would be the only thing outside to do. Makes it easy when you have little ones running around like crazy.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #4

With us it's all slides in except the bedroom & the sewer hose is stowed the night before we leave. Get up at 6 AM, shower, etc. Then the electrical cord and water line are stowed & leave at 7 AM. That's our routine when traveling every day and when we boondock, it's the same except the power cords are also stowed the night before. As I said we leave early so we try not to make too much noise when in a campground. On the way home from boondocking we dump at a truck stop on the highway so everything drained and the black water tank flushed. The hot water tank is drained once we're home.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

I will generally get a jump on things the night before with awning, chairs, rugs, etc. I try not to rush myself packing the next morning, don't want to start out stressed when I hit the road.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
I will generally get a jump on things the night before with awning, chairs, rugs, etc. I try not to rush myself packing the next morning, don't want to start out stressed when I hit the road.
X2
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Another rat in the race

we pack up everything except the BBQ (thats our main cooking device), cast iron pan, and the hook ups the night before. Makes it sooo much easier the next day.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #8

We hate to break camp because that means the weekend is over and we're heading back to the real world. We typically leave everything in place until the very last minute. We often don't leave the campground until mid afternoon on the day we're supposed to check out. Unless we're being asked to vacate the spot to make room for the next camper, we stretch out the fun.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #9

It seems to take forever to break it down and get out of camp on the day of departure. We too do not want the fun to end is prob another reason.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Another rat in the race

I don't want to start a fight, but I personally have a gripe about people staying past the check out time.

When we were in Death Valley last month the spot that was ours (we had reserved it 6 months prior and all the other spots had been taken up by now) had people in it until 3pm when they were supposed to leave by 12pm and that was with 2ish hrs of the rangers pestering them. Normally I don't care, but we had gotten up early (4:30am) on 12/26 driven hundreds of miles so that we could get to the camp site by 12-1pm unhook get a little settled and then use the TV to make it to the full moon rise/viewing/ranger hike at the racetrack playa almost 70 miles (30 ish of it dirt) away. Needless to say we didn't get to make it there before the ranger hike left. And I had to listen to my wife (it was what she wanted to do for her birthday) and 15yr old kid grump about it and it still comes up a month plus later.

So I would like to politely ask that the people who wait to the last minute to leave, please think of others and leave at the last minute.

Sorry for the rant and the off topic, but just thought it should be said to benefit the collective.

Although I firmly believe that the good people of this forum would never do this and I am sure I am preaching to the choir.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
We typically leave everything in place until the very last minute.
We do the same, pack up the morning off.

Quote:
had people in it until 3pm when they were supposed to leave by 12pm
I agree jar3316, this is unfortunate and frankly ignorant of the people that were not ready and should have left by the check-out time. We're new with the TT however have enough experience to pack up and be off the site on-time. The exception possibly being an issue with their TT/TV, e.g. not starting.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We've been known to say screw packing up and stay right on into monday !
Not once or multiple times but MANY !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
We've been known to say screw packing up and stay right on into monday !
Not once or multiple times but MANY !
Wonder how long we can stay at Rally until they kick us out?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

hmmmmm maybe till they need to mow again ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb2980 View Post
We hate to break camp because that means the weekend is over and we're heading back to the real world. We typically leave everything in place until the very last minute. We often don't leave the campground until mid afternoon on the day we're supposed to check out. Unless we're being asked to vacate the spot to make room for the next camper, we stretch out the fun.
johnleannIt seems to take forever to break it down and get out of camp on the day of departure. We too do not want the fun to end is prob another reason. johnleannIt seems to take forever to break it down and get out of camp on the day of departure. We too do not want the fun to end is prob another reason. I hate to leave as well and dislike rushing around before driving . Unless we are partway somewhere then we start the cycle earlier.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #16

To those of you who like to leave at the last minute, do like we do book an extra day. Then you don't have to be out by noon or 1 you can leave whenever you like that day.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
To those of you who like to leave at the last minute, do like we do book an extra day. Then you don't have to be out by noon or 1 you can leave whenever you like that day.
We have done this before so we can stay longer, especially if it is a close enough drive that we can get home and unhitched before dark. Think it was only an extra $35 once and we got to stay for dinner with our friends without having to rush off.
We are getting better at leaving the site on time. If we ever get to a point where we are actually traveling from place to place as is intended by having a Travel Trailer, I suspect we will travel light and unpack minimally.
I have already gotten some good points from reading this thread that might help with a timely departure.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

When we are breaking camp the next morning, unless we are trying to meet a specific arrival time on a short haul day, we usually are gone at between 5 and 530 in the morning so everything is stowed including the slides as we can get around our entire unit with the slides in. Only thing we need to put away is the power cord as we like our morning coffee. We are always hooked up with the stabilizers up ready to roll to keep the noise to a minimum when we roll out. we do this as most of our travel days are 12hr days.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
2011 Forest River Stealth

Me being a Boondocker or Dry Camper I like to be packed up and ready to go home first light. This way I get home intime to clean everything up. If I dont clean everything up as soon as I get home it might be a few days before I get to it. (I normally know the night before wheather or not I am staying another night)

As far as staying in a reserved spot, I am out of there before check out. Its all about RESPECT. I too have been in situations where someone is in my spot at check-in time.
To me thats NO RESPECT and we could have problems. Nothing like driving several hours to see someone in you spot. I like to set up ASAP, then it all about relax mode.

PLEASE HAVE RESPECT FOR OTHERS AND ENJOY YOUR CAMPING
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #20

I pack up the day we leave and generally pull off the site within an hour of our vacate time. if you arrive early you may have to wait as I have done plenty of times myself. if I have need to leave late I reserve and pay for an extra night. To me the only reasonable excuse to be on-site after posted check out is an emergency