Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Broken Velvac 2020 Mirror Mount Fix

Recently I barely touched a sign at walking speed with my right side mirror on my C class Majestic RV, and a week later the mirror was hanging low, and very loose.

This is the model I have, the 2020.

I had to tie the mirror with a strap to get me home, where I disassembled it and found that the pivot mount was damaged, allowing the large spring washer which normally holds the arm\mirror in place while allowing it to pivot, to fall out of place and let the whole arm and mirror fall down.

This is what the broken part looks like:

I looked online through a number of forums and saw that others, though none on this forum that I could find, had gone through the same thing - and in their cases had contacted their dealer or Velvac directly and bought a reasonably priced replacement pivot.

I would willingly pay $60 for this part, but unfortunately, Velvac tells me that I can't buy parts separately; I have to get a whole new mirror assembly for a lot of dough.

Not being particularly happy about this, I sent them back a slightly snarky reply but that made no difference.

So today I took the part in to a local welder who's done work for me in the past on aluminum, and asked him if he could fix it. Turns out the part is probably Zinc, at a guess on his part, and he can fix it, no problem.

Cost should be around $40, he said.

Yippee!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

And how about the result?
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Sorry for the delay in responding. I only got the part back the day before yesterday, and had no internet access. That's now been fixed.

Here's the part after welding and a little machining, which the welder included in the $40 price tag.

Looks good, and time will tell if it holds. (If it breaks, I'll report back but not until the Spring when we take the RV out again.)

Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

A professional fix.

Happy ending !

Tags
mount