Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 11:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
And it is your responsibility for whatever flows into the city sewer system and some city ordinances will prohibit emptying RV tanks into their sewer system. All I am saying is that a person should research the ordinances if they are dumping into a municipal sewer system. At least they will know the possibilities of getting a citation for it, regardless of how small the chances are of getting caught.
Have not heard that before but "OK". Good luck on trying to trace which house the poo came unless there is a back-up.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
Have not heard that before but "OK". Good luck on trying to trace which house the poo came unless there is a back-up.
Some people like to follow laws and ordinances because it is a law or ordinance.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
... I did have to remove my washing machines drain from the septic tank after it clogged up my drain field. ...
So how do you wash clothes? Laundromat?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:38 PM   #44
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
It is your (homeowners) responsibility from the street or alley to the house.
Not in every municipality. In mine, the municipality is responsible for the pipes up to 1 foot from the foundation. They’ll clean out any root blockages at no charge.

Violation of a “no RV tank dumping” ordinance won’t likely be traceable but if your neighbour takes a picture of you doing it they may chose to enforce the ordinance.

In my municipality we have “sewer use bylaw enforcement officers” but they are mostly concerned with industrial users dumping illegally.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I'd recommend using a macerator to reduce the risks of clogging. I use the "water powered" sewer solution, but there are many varieties available.
Also use the SewerSolution and dump it on return from every trip. Mine Cleanout is in the floor of my garage, easy to dump and I figure I just save up the waste while I'm not home and dump it when I get back. As far as I'm concerned that's none of my city's business.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:58 AM   #46

Look up the GEO Method. We've used it for years with no smell and no issues.

Ideally, you'd install a U shaped cleanout that is designed so you can run a snake either way from the cleanout. Then use the pipe closest to the house.

The old saying is that it is better to ask forgivness than permission. Using the logic in previous posts, I think I might be able to convince a judge that I was not guilty.

One thing that clogs pipes and drain fields is grease. Albuquerque sends out flyers in every bill asking us to wipe the grease from out dishes rather than running it down the sewer. Unless you flush with hot water, it is very hard to get the grease out of your gray tank.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #47
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post

Ideally, you'd install a U shaped cleanout that is designed so you can run a snake either way from the cleanout. Then use the pipe closest to the house.

The old saying is that it is better to ask forgivness than permission. Using the logic in previous posts, I think I might be able to convince a judge that I was not guilty.

One thing that clogs pipes and drain fields is grease. Albuquerque sends out flyers in every bill asking us to wipe the grease from out dishes rather than running it down the sewer. Unless you flush with hot water, it is very hard to get the grease out of your gray tank.
I see you're a gambling man!

Regarding that U shaped cleanout, I don't see the sense of that. A cleanout is used to allow access to the service pipe so you can dislodge anything plugging the pipe (i.e., clean it out). Everything that gets dislodged will flow back against that uphill cleanout and it introduces a potential clogging point.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post

The "U" shape is a great idea can easily work it cleans out lines both ways and as long as you know which one goes down hill toward sewer or tank should work great to dump.I have seen them often using 2 cleanouts one for each direction but not usually together.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I'm told by my Septic Service Company that I should not dump my tanks, especially the black tank with chemicals, into the septic system.

Something to the effect that the chemicals used in the black tank will destroy the required bacteria in the septic system. If so, that can get very expensive to correct as the septic tank will need to be pumped and restored with proper bacterial chemicals.

Of course, I know some person will say "heck, we've been dumping ours into the septic system with no issues".
There is ALWAYS a concern about chemicals put into your septic tank. Since it is your septic tank do your research and use ONLY CHEMICALS ACCEPTABLE fo Septic Systems.
I should say we need to do this all the time as most campgrounds away from a city service sewer system is probably a septic system at their dump station.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I'm told by my Septic Service Company that I should not dump my tanks, especially the black tank with chemicals, into the septic system.

Something to the effect that the chemicals used in the black tank will destroy the required bacteria in the septic system. If so, that can get very expensive to correct as the septic tank will need to be pumped and restored with proper bacterial chemicals.

Of course, I know some person will say "heck, we've been dumping ours into the septic system with no issues".
We don't have a septic, but rather we are on sewer..

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #51

The "U" shaped or "Two Way" cleanouts are the most common code requirements in just about all connections to a city sewage system and most septic systems in homes built after 1990. The cleanout closest to the street or alley is the cleanout that goes toward the home. The cleanout closest to the home is the cleanout that goes toward the sewage system or septic. Grandfathering older homes that have no cleanouts or improperly placed cleanouts for code compliance is common but anytime work is done to a home's drainage system it usually must be brought up to city/state code. With every city/state/country wanting different requirements it would be impossible to identify them all here. I am not talking about the chemicals used in RV tanks, I am just mentioning the types of cleanouts.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:53 AM   #52

Good to see an addition to the forum of the poop police.
The tow police were getting lonely
Old 06-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Good to see an addition to the forum of the poop police.
The tow police were getting lonely
LOL!!! Too funny.
I have always used my cleanouts to the city sewer to dump RV tanks. I could care less if there is an ordinance against it. Been doing it for 40 years, I figure if someone had a problem with it I would of heard about it by now
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #54
Flyboy1950

Using sewer cleanout to dump

After reading all of the posts on this subject, it brings up an interesting point: if we should not dump our black tanks into our sewer cleanout, then where does all of the blackwater from the RV parks go? Into a special large sewer tank...NO. Into an onsite septic system...perhaps in some instances. But in urban area RV parks, I'm sure it just goes into the same sewage system as all of the rest of the local residences & business do. So why shouldn't we do the same? Please explain that to me as I am just soooooo curious!
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #55

Can you dump into your sewer cleanout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
After reading all of the posts on this subject, it brings up an interesting point: if we should not dump our black tanks into our sewer cleanout, then where does all of the blackwater from the RV parks go? Into a special large sewer tank...NO. Into an onsite septic system...perhaps in some instances. But in urban area RV parks, I'm sure it just goes into the same sewage system as all of the rest of the local residences & business do. So why shouldn't we do the same? Please explain that to me as I am just soooooo curious!

I was also wondering the exact same thing.. most camp grounds I’ve been to that have sewer hook ups are draining into a large SEPTIC tank.. so what exactly is the issue with dumping into the clean out? Poop is poop. and the chemicals are much different from my black tank to my septic tank.. better than dumping on the ground in a hole or in the storm water.. besides, where does the poor dude that drives the poop wagon dump his tank after pumping out septic tanks and porta johns?
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
LOL!!! Too funny.
I have always used my cleanouts to the city sewer to dump RV tanks. I could care less if there is an ordinance against it. Been doing it for 40 years, I figure if someone had a problem with it I would of heard about it by now

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #57

I use a Macerator & an old 3/4" rubber garden hose to my 5" cleanout in back of my house. I am on city water & sewer. I also fill my fresh water tank at home.

I bought a Flojet 'clone' Amarine Made 12V Self-priming RV Macerator Pump for $70.

Amazon now has an better model with the clear discharge hose & larger shredder blade. I upgraded to a
RV 12V Self Priming Macerator Pump for RV Camper Trailer Boat, 30s Run Dry Protection $99

Here are pictures of my macerator setup. I have a short clear hose after pump before the 3/4" hose. The clear elbows allow me to know when the lines are flushed out. I also use an air compressor to push all water out of the hose.

Pictures were taken Oct 19, 2020 after back-flushing the lines. See the snow on the ground. All local dump stations closed Oct 1st. We had just got back from a trip to the Soldotna, Alaska.
See post:
Macerator hose for home use?

I also have a clear elbow at the cleanout pipe. I put the original 5" cleanout cap back on when I was done.

When the water comes out clear, I am done.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
I was also wondering the exact same thing.. most camp grounds I’ve been to that have sewer hook ups are draining into a large SEPTIC tank.. so what exactly is the issue with dumping into the clean out? Poop is poop. and the chemicals are much different from my black tank to my septic tank.. better than dumping on the ground in a hole or in the storm water.. besides, where does the poor dude that drives the poop wagon dump his tank after pumping out septic tanks and porta johns?
You are correct, poo is poo. But your home system is utilized and maintained differently than an industrial system. Septic systems for industrial use get maintained more frequently than a residential septic system does. RV parks and municipal dump stations are such places. Political poo pumping trucks dump with special permits at their own facilities or approved sites. Industrial septic systems or approved sites are special licensed for that municipality.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:23 PM   #59

get caught dumping your poo tank any other place other than a sewer or a septic

I bet the fine you get is going to be astronomical
plus you'll get the bill for the cleanup

if you are worried about using your cleanout ... u shaped or not
carry the waste water in buckets to your toilet....

its a bit messier.
But it gets the job done.
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
get caught dumping your poo tank any other place other than a sewer or a septic

I bet the fine you get is going to be astronomical
plus you'll get the bill for the cleanup

Like this??

https://www.newsweek.com/dave-matthe...0as%20Poopgate.