Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonbill View Post
I agree it’s “Bull” but it’s reality in Virginia. And it’s a fact water uses drives the cost of sewer bills. If filling the “kids pool” you can call the city and alert them to “unusual” water usage. They will adjust the sewer bill, but rest assured they will get there money on the back end when you get your water bill. Some cites have ordinance on watering your lawn or washing your vehicles—even if you have a private well. They same we are depleting water levels that affect their systems. Bull or not it’s the 21st century and the system will bleed every dime they can.

This is one reason we have rain barrels on our downspouts. I can store 150 gallons of free water just to do the gardens. I've had people tell me it's illegal because it breeds mosquitoes, but my barrels are covered by nylon window screen and have an overflow tube.

As far as depleting the water levels, our water comes out of the Allegheny River.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:12 PM   #82

I regret my injection into this subject, as I almost always do at this point in the discussion but I only wished to add to the topic of civil systems that it can be something a person with a septic system could also do without much issue. I don't need the scrutiny and questions. I did what I said and I'd do it again. Goodbye.
rotohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:56 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post
That's BULL. What about the water you use for watering your garden or washing your vehicles or filling the kids swimming pool? You still pay the sewage charge and that water does no go into your sanitary sewer but you still pay the sewage fee because you used the water!
Your phrasing can be interpreted as offensive. Are you saying you don't believe it? Or that you don't like it?

The fact is that some cities do that. The homeowners probably don't like it, but that doesn't change the fact that the cities may impose a fine and there's little the homeowner can do about it.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
most cities that do this have a formula x% of water used will be for sewer
that's what we pay
Our sewer rates are determined by winter consumption, on the theory that irrigation and pool use is minimized. When water consumption rates go up in summer, sewer rates do not.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I regret my injection into this subject, as I almost always do at this point in the discussion but I only wished to add to the topic of civil systems that it can be something a person with a septic system could also do without much issue. I don't need the scrutiny and questions. I did what I said and I'd do it again. Goodbye.
You have nothing to regret. Your civil contributions may serve as a positive example to those whose social skills leave something to be desired.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:08 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I find your response to be quite odd since I can't see where anyone replied to you directly. Your setup sounds very nice, like a full hookup camping site!
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:03 AM   #87

If my wife and I are gone for a week camping, no one is home so nothing is going into the septic tank. Dumping my RV tanks upon return adds no more to the septic than if we had been home during that time.
Hoverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I'm sure this question has a lot of different answers depending on where you live. The only experience I have with this sort of thing was when my parents built a house. My father asked if dumping into the cleanout was allowed. The answer he received was technically "no". The codes were such that the septic tank were sized based on the number of bathrooms in the house. The RV would be considered an additional bathroom, and thus outside the code for the septic. However, that said, "its his septic, he can do whatever he wants with with, off the record"
"The codes were such that the septic tank were sized based on the number of bathrooms in the house. " Interesting...sized by number of bathrooms in the house. Suppose there are 8 people living in the house with 2 bathrooms - would the septic be the same size as 2 people living in the house with 2 bathrooms????
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:56 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
"The codes were such that the septic tank were sized based on the number of bathrooms in the house. " Interesting...sized by number of bathrooms in the house. Suppose there are 8 people living in the house with 2 bathrooms - would the septic be the same size as 2 people living in the house with 2 bathrooms????

Septic systems size is based on the amount of bedrooms not bathrooms.

I just learned this from a code enforcement inspector.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #90

My next door neighbor called the county and asked about dumping in the sewer cleanout. They said no - not unless it is designated and dedicated only as a dump station, which would require a permit, and a fee, of course. So the only REAL difference would be if you paid for a permit....Surprise, surprise, surprise....

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:14 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Our sewer rates are determined by winter consumption, on the theory that irrigation and pool use is minimized. When water consumption rates go up in summer, sewer rates do not.
I'm glad that somebody finally mentioned this. It's how it's done across the country. If others had taken the time to do their research, they would know this about their location.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I'm glad that somebody finally mentioned this. It's how it's done across the country. If others had taken the time to do their research, they would know this about their location.
No, it is not done that way across the country. For example, why would a person living in an apartment in Los Angeles have any different water usage in the summer than in the winter? More showers maybe? There are hundreds of thousands of different municipalities and water districts in this country and they do not all charge based on winter only water usage.

New York City does not bill according to winter water usage, for example. They bill by meter readings year round.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #93

Lightbulb

There really isn't any reason why not, other than accessability of the clean-out to the rig. Another option would be a macerating pump to force feed the Dump. Install a hose bib in the cap to the clean-out and run a "designated" garden hose between the two.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #94

Yes - I do.

I dump into my septic clean-out with my portable black water tote. Would do the same at my home on city sewer but location of the clean-out is much less accessible.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaMiniLite View Post
Thanks for all the input. I have 2 cleanouts on my sewer line. One very close to the house and one near the street, which is very convenient to use as a dump station. Sounds like I am good to go. Happy camping!
If you plan to dump into your clean out use the one closest to your house. The one closest to your house goes towards the sewer main and the one furthest away from the house turns towards the house.
2018 GMC 2500 Denali

Nights camped 2018=60
Azdigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdigs View Post
If you plan to dump into your clean out use the one closest to your house. The one closest to your house goes towards the sewer main and the one furthest away from the house turns towards the house.
Actually at my house the cleanout closest to the street is a soft 45 degree angling to the street/sewer main. The one closest to the house is a straight 90 into the line...

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Septic systems size is based on the amount of bedrooms not bathrooms. ...
That makes sense because it implies the number of people producing sewage. If you have one bedroom and ten bathrooms, the occupants of the bedroom will have their choice of bathrooms but the amount going down the sewer is the same.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post
This is one reason we have rain barrels on our downspouts. I can store 150 gallons of free water just to do the gardens. I've had people tell me it's illegal because it breeds mosquitoes, but my barrels are covered by nylon window screen and have an overflow tube.

As far as depleting the water levels, our water comes out of the Allegheny River.
IN Colorado and some other western states collecting rain water is illegal as it's counted into the water shed and farm irrigation ,so out west if you do not own water rights you can not collect water from a rain . people do it but it will cost you a lot if you get caught by a ditch rider or someone from the water dept.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I've never heard of it being sized by the number of bathrooms. Typically, it goes by the number of bedrooms.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:23 PM   #100

Not to take away from the OP's original thread, but I was wondering if someone might have a ballpark cost to having cleanout's added to a septic system or city connections.

Thanks and be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is online now   Reply With Quote