Old 05-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #21

I use a little hand pump that attaches to the water inlet with a hose, put the correct dilution in a bucket & pump it into the fresh tank. It takes minutes to do.
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #22

This is what I did

We used to have a Cardinal and traded for a new Jayco this year. I just sanitized my system a couple of days ago. Here is the info from our Jayco owners manual. Bottom line mix up the solution in a bucket and suck it into the system like you would antifreeze. Disclaimer - These instructions are for a Jayco not a Cardinal. Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: docx Tank Sanitize.docx (13.3 KB, 19 views)
kgkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #23

Buy the winterizing hand pump. Dip tube goes into the bleach container and the other tube has the hose connector.

I use this to winterize the black tank flush line out and the city water inlet.

They cost about $14.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #24

Can't get bleach into FW tank to sanitize

Does your trailer have a wet bay like this? If so, by turning the valves to the labeled position for winterize, using the on board pump will suck the bleach into the system.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3659.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	230387
Retired JSO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #25

Bleach?

Why do you put bleach in your fw tank? Do you then have to drain and flush everything?
dmerrill48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerrill48 View Post
Why do you put bleach in your fw tank? Do you then have to drain and flush everything?
Yes, you do need to drain and flush everything.
The tank needs to be sanitized if you plan on using the water for drinking, cooking and teeth brushing.
The usual mix is 1/4 cup of regular bleach to 15 gallons of water. Be sure the bleach label says "kills 99.9% of germs". Don't use scented or splashless bleach.

Add the correct amount of bleach for the number of gallons in your fresh water tank.

I switch my water heater valves to bypass, turn on the pump, run each faucet including the outside shower and flush the toilet until I faintly smell bleach.
Since I gravity fill my tank I also use a tool to carefully depress the check valve on my city water hookup while the pump is on to sanitize that line as well. Warning: Stand to one side to avoid getting a wet surprise.
I let mine sit overnight then drain, refill and flush all lines. You may need to do this more than once.
After you no longer smell bleach it's time to change the water heater valves back and fill the tank for use.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:38 AM   #27

I pour "Peroxide" into our FW Hose then affix the hose to the City water fill for the Main water system in your case turning proper valves are need to be turned to force water into your FW Tank then run Pump for Total system Sanitize! Youroo!!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #28

Brilliant idea!
kermitvb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkerl View Post
We used to have a Cardinal and traded for a new Jayco this year. I just sanitized my system a couple of days ago. Here is the info from our Jayco owners manual. Bottom line mix up the solution in a bucket and suck it into the system like you would antifreeze. Disclaimer - These instructions are for a Jayco not a Cardinal. Good Luck
Doesn't make a bit of difference what brand RV you have. Though there are different ways to fill the FW tank and winterize, plumbing systems are all the same. I do pretty much the same when I chlorinate my private well at my s&b, except I dump 3 gallons of chlorine in the well while flushing it with the garden hose, run water through the faucets, let it sit over for 24+ hours. I usually go to the campground for a couple of days. When I come home I run water through all the faucets for a couple of minutes. My dad did it the same way when I was growing up and I'm still kicking a 67.

I grew up drinking from a regular garden hose, too.

Oh, no, my secrets out now!

cough, cough, wheeze, cough then a loud thump on the floor.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #30
Brake is on left

I use this widget to meter in bleach for my FW or CW connection. Also to add bleach for a black tank flush.
https://www.amazon.com/Hozon-Injector-Brass-Siphon-Mixer/dp/B00081I7K6/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Siphon+Sprayer&q id=1591133425&sr=8-13
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank