Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #1

Care Of Cast Iron Cook Wear For Camping

We just bought a set of Martha Steward cast Iron skillets for camping. The instructions say to wash skillets with hot water only then dry completely, then coat the sureface with a thin layer of vegetable oil or oil based cooking spray. Is there anyone that could add to this or have any other suggestion? Not too long ago another member had posted something about this topic, but I can not find the thread. Thanks in advance.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

You care for camping cast iron the same way you do the stuff you use at home. It must be "seasoned." As Martha said, scrub the stuff clean as it was coated with a wax for shipping. Dry it. Then coat it with oil, I use a small paint brush and paint canola oil on pretty thick. Then I take it out to the BBQ grill and bake it, with the top down, at about 500 degrees. You could use the oven in the house but the process tends to set off the smoke detector and stinks a bit. Turn off the heat and let it cool. All done.

This process protects the metal from rust and makes the iron easier to clean. It also makes the food less sticky and taste better. You can't "over-season" your iron. The older your iron, and the more it's seasoned the better. I try to find mine at yard sales.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #3

Thanks Radio. Wade
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #4

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~p...-oven-care.htm

rockwood06, this link is mostly for Dutch ovens, but the info will work for any cast iron utensils. I'm getting into Dutch oven and campfire cooking this year and I've studied up a lot on it. However, with me, study and practical application are quite often very different.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Look to the Jollymon.....................

cast iron is his deal

NO SOAP!!! HOT WATER ONLY!!

I love my cast iron. I have some stuff from the early 1900's that I use in the house. I have a full set of anadiezed (sp) aluminum (Magnalight) and I don't use it anywhere near as much as my cast iron.

Cast Iron is the ORIGINAL non-stick cookwear.

I use high grade olive oil (extra virgin) for seasoning. A good canola oil works as well.

It just don't get no better than cast..............
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I'm at work typing on my phone...so I'll add some tips when I get a chance tomorrow.

Jolly loves dat cast iron!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I don't know how good the quality is as far as Martha Steward brand, her skillets are made in China. I remember back in the day when I watched my Mother make pineapple upside down cake in her cast Iron skillet, from the looks of it, it was large and heavy and I bet it was made in the U.S.A.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

If your iron gets really really nasty, you can use ordinary dish soap to clean it up. But you'll likely need to re-season it again. About every 6 months the wife will run one of our many iron skillets through the dish washer and I will re-season the thing. Good (actually better) as new!

Lodge Logic is a good brand and you can get it at WalMart. If you can find it "Atlanta" is good also (a.k.a Atlanta Stove Works)

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
If your new D.O. is not pre-seasoned...it's very important to wash the oven with hot water to rinse away the preservative on it. Don't skip this step!

My favorite D.O.'s are Lodge brand. I always follow their instructions for seasoning...which are below. These instructions are for new non-seasoned cast iron. I sometimes will reapply THIN layer of oil...and do it a second time.
I think the best advice I could give would be this...don't use too much shortening or oil. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY! Too much oil cause uneven patina surfaces, looks bad, and creates sticky spots. *I always try to use a good olive oil.

Use & Care of your Natural Finish Cast Iron Cookware

Your new cookware will last a lifetime with proper care and seasoning. Seasoning is the process of allowing oil to be absorbed into the iron, which creates a natural non-stick, rustproof finish. It is actually a very simple process. Here's how to do it:

1. Wash new cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush.

2. Rinse and dry completely.

3. Apply a thin coat of melted vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco) to the entire surface (including lid if applicable), both inside and out.

4. Line the lower oven rack with aluminum foil (To catch any drippings), and preheat oven to 350° F.

5. Place cookware upside down on the upper oven rack, and bake for one hour.

6. Turn oven off and let cookware cool before removing from oven.

7. Store in a cool, dry place. If you have a lid for your utensil, place a folded paper towel between the lid and the utensil to allow air to circulate.

8. NEVER wash in dishwasher.

9. If your utensil develops a metallic smell or taste or shows signs of rust, never fear. Wash with soap and hot water, scour off rust, and reseason.

After use: Clean using a stiff brush and hot water only (do not wash in dishwasher). Towel dry immediately and apply a light coating of vegetable oil to cookware while still warm.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #10

The Martha Steward box states that it is pre-seasoned.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
The Martha Steward box states that it is pre-seasoned.
Yeah those and Emeril's and a few other brands are pre-seasoned. Just take care of it and re-season as needed and you will be good to go.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #12

Everyone, thanks for all your help.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #13

I have had some cast iron rust up pretty bad and have sand blasted it. Reseason and is as good as new. I like the cast stuff but my wife hates it because they are fairly heavy.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 BUG View Post
I have had some cast iron rust up pretty bad and have sand blasted it. Reseason and is as good as new. I like the cast stuff but my wife hates it because they are fairly heavy.
So much for trying to save on weight in the RV. As long as we leave our water tank empty, fuel tank empty, leave the food and clothes at home we can take our cast iron stuf with us on the road
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

They definitely leave a bigger dent in the floor if you drop one. Come to think of it they hurt a lot worse dropped on a foot or the wife hitting you with it in the head.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
During Boy Scout weekends, Dutch Ovens were cleaned with warm water and salt. The salt provided the grit to clean the cooked on stuff. We then rinsed well and dried by the fire. Once dry, wipe with a dry cloth and the applied a little coating of oil.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote