Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaraG_1M View Post
Given the fact that many people make mistakes
or fail to RTFM, any maker of food products
who fails to use a "food safe" glaze would be
courting contact with the LawSuits Unlimited
sharks!

And, of course, government overregulators
would be in a tizzy to make new regulations.

I wonder if any of the pizza stones actually
say that they use non "food safe" glazes?
Certainly be a reason to avoid them................

cheers,
johnd
John,

I have to say that as former chemist, cbconway is correct. Most (if not all) "Pizza Stones" are not glazed. Glazed tiles are just that; tiles. They are designed to either be walked on or looked at; not eaten off of or cooked on. Many glazes used in wall tiles are made with heavy metals including lead.

Not all pottery uses these types of glazes obviously, "stoneware" dishes and kitchen pottery items do get made with glazes designed to be in contact with food.

While I am no lawyer (and do not play one on the Internet), I would think that the test for "safety" would be "In Normal Use" ; Not too many folks cook on the floor or walls.

I microwaved a "stoneware" dish this weekend that got so hot after only 30 seconds in the microwave I could not hold it. I am thinking there was a lot of metal in that dish. Since it was the last slice of pepperoni pizza, I did not toss it. I will let you know if I die. (However, I DID learn a lesson)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #42

[QUOTE=herk7769;192258]John,

Not all pottery uses these types of glazes obviously, "stoneware" dishes and kitchen pottery items do get made with glazes designed to be in contact with food.
QUOTE]

Yah, that was my point......

[QUOTE=herk7769;192258]
While I am no lawyer (and do not play one on the Internet), I would think that the test for "safety" would be "In Normal Use" ; Not too many folks cook on the floor or walls.
QUOTE]

Be careful about that "In Normal Use". Remember
the guy who successfully sued the maker of some
straps because they failed - and he was hurt - when
he strapped a Fridge to his back for a race.

No wonder manufacturers are often ultra careful
with warnings......& still get zapped sometimes.....

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #43

Condensed Version

Hi-I have been trying to follow this thread and I am still unclear as to what I am doing. # 1-I need the Pizza stone to distribute the heat and keep things from burning-correct? #2 The Pizza stone goes on the bottom and I cook on the rack above it-correct? If anyone can condense the instructions and simplify them I would be most grateful! We are just starting out with a TT that has an oven and the last thing I want to do is have the smoke alarm going off on our first try!! Thanks to all of you for all your great tips!!
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
Hi-I have been trying to follow this thread and I am still unclear as to what I am doing. # 1-I need the Pizza stone to distribute the heat and keep things from burning-correct? #2 The Pizza stone goes on the bottom and I cook on the rack above it-correct? If anyone can condense the instructions and simplify them I would be most grateful! We are just starting out with a TT that has an oven and the last thing I want to do is have the smoke alarm going off on our first try!! Thanks to all of you for all your great tips!!
You have it correct.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
Then you should do what most of us have done and buy pizza stones that are made for making pizza.

Amazon.com: Fox Run 13-Inch Pizza Stone: Kitchen & Dining

Not much more expensive than a tile and no worries about heavy metal poisoning.

Oh and in my oven the pizza stone is on the metal shelf right above the lower burner.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #46
Site Team - Lou

Be careful about that "In Normal Use". Remember
the guy who successfully sued the maker of some
straps because they failed - and he was hurt - when
he strapped a Fridge to his back for a race.

I have to say John you are right. Every time a civil case winds up in court a new warning gets added to a product.

Warning: Coffee is hot. Do not drive with a hot cup of coffee in your lap between your legs; you could get into a wreck and kill somebody. We will be found responsible for the accident if we don't put this stupid warning on every cup.

But you can still drop your cigarette ash in your lap; kill somebody with your car and nobody cares.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
But you can still drop your cigarette ash in your lap; kill somebody with your car and nobody cares.
Yep, I often see some of those drivers
making an ash of themselves. Or something
like that.........

But, I won't; I'll use a pizza stone!
On the BOTTOM of the oven.

After all those years of tent camping with
a coleman stove, that oven will be SO welcome!

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #48

Oven heat distribution

I just went to home depot and got a 12 inch cermac tile. I have some friends that use four of the 6 inch tiles. They work fine for them . I have not used mine yet. The tiles are fired for the glazing so 400 degrees should not bother them. Besides a tile from home depot is considerably cheaper.
bruce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #49
Anacortesians

When we got our GT, the previous owner had some 6" square "Quarry tiles" on the bottom of the two wire racks our oven has. I never thought about shocks while travelling, and we broke three of the four on our first trip!

We bought a 12" round pizza stone, since we often have Indian food and the naan cooks much better on a stone. Just be sure to take it out and stow it somewhere safe before you hit the road.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce10 View Post
I just went to home depot and got a 12 inch cermac tile.The tiles are fired for the glazing so 400 degrees should not bother them.
Exactly what I thought, and did the Home Depot route as well. Then the first time we used it, the oven had not even got up to temp when PING... the tile cracked in half . We did buy the porcelain tile, next time I will try the ceramic tile. At around a dollar to dollar and a half, I can experiment a bit. I did wrap the tile in foil, figured that it would be easier to change the foil than clean the tile if something boiled over or spilled on the tile then got cooked on.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
Lou, the glazed side down I got. Is the unglazed side up, hard to clean, if what your baking drips down on to it? Just wondering if putting foil on it would help with clean up. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #52
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
Lou, the glazed side down I got. Is the unglazed side up, hard to clean, if what your baking drips down on to it? Just wondering if putting foil on it would help with clean up. Thanks.
My pizza stone does not have a "glazed side."
Are you sure you have a pizza stone?
Sounds like it could be a tile.
NOT a fan of tiles. glazed or unglazed.

Putting foil on it will definitely keep it clean.
Making pizza is best done right on the stone.

Any stuff that drips will just burn right off.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #53

You do not want to use glazed tile. I purchased 4x4 inch (or maybe they were 6x6) unglazed tile at Home Depot. I put four of them side by side below the rack and make sure the vent holes from the burner are not covered up. Tiles helped, but oven is so small that it still gets too hot for baking.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #54

Pizza Stone Cracked!

We always had a pop up so we never had to worry about using an oven. Now with a Rockwood Roo 19 and an oven I decided to try and cook a pizza at home using a pizza stone on the bottom. Ten minutes after lighting the oven I heard a POP and found the pizza stone cracked in half! So either I used the wrong stone or something went wrong. If anyone can guide me on the best stones to use or any tips on cooking with the oven that would help I would be so glad. By the way-the pizza turned out okay! Thanks for any info.
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #55

Where did you place your stone? I would think that if people are using 6' tiles, you could wrap your stone in foil and use it. After all, it's basically just diffusing the heat from the burner element below it.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #56

Cracked Stone

We also had such an event. Placed the stone on the metal tray just above the flame. It cracked while baking biscuits at some 350°F. The biscuits were in a baking tray on the wire shelf.

We got this stone which fits perfectly into the oven. Pity it broke.
Emile Henry 12 by 10-Inch Grilling/Baking Stone,Noir: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

While traveling it is wrapped in bubble wrap (the same that was used to ship it to us.).

Perhaps it should not be placed on the metal? Do others have little feet that space their stones just off the metal plate?
Aliby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #57

Mine fit fairly tight. It cracked in half the first time I fired the oven up. It still works fine.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
Mine fit fairly tight. It cracked in half the first time I fired the oven up. It still works fine.

Same thing here. Very first use.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #59

We bought a round one from bed bath beyond

Used it twice , no problem yet , came with a one yr warranty
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad