Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Checklist critique

Since we're new, my wife wanted to make sure we had checklists to make sure we didn't forget anything.

Using several posts I found here on the forums, I came up with these so far. Still working on the "what to pack" for food/clothes/etc...

Please take a look and let me know if there's anything missing or needs tweaking. Really appreciate all of the help we've gotten so far!

Preparing to move the camper:
Code:
INSIDE
-	Put away all loose items.  Nothing on counter.
-	Close and latch all cabinet/refrigerator doors.
-	Turn off/unplug all 12v devices (USB chargers, TV amp, etc.).
-	Close/latch all windows/vents.
-	Turn off water heater, water pump, lights, refrigerator, etc.
-	Pack refrigerated items in cooler.
-	Turn off furnace or A/C.
-	Gather trash/recycles.
-	Wait for outside OK – retract slide.
-	Retract awning.
-	Make sure anything that will be needed in the truck from the camper is in the truck (Nano router, charging cables, etc.).

OUTSIDE
-	Stow all outside items (chairs, table, umbrella, grill, rug, etc.).
-	Turn off water heater.
-	Shut off propane valve.
-	Check for debris on top of slide-out.  Clean off as needed.
-	Dump/flush black then grey water tanks only if you are at full hookup site.  Check slide valves are closed before unhooking/stowing sewer hoses.  Cap all sewer connections.
-	Unhook and store fresh water hose/filter/pressure regulator.
-	Turn off camp site breaker and unhook and stow power and TV cables and Power Watchdog.
-	Make sure wheels are still chocked.
-	Check tire pressure to make sure it’s correct in all tires (including spare).  Add air as needed.
-	Make sure all lug nights are tight.
-	Make sure all stabilizer jacks are retracted.
-	Hook up camper (see separate How-To check list).
-	Fold in steps.
-	Lock doors and storage access panels.
-	Pick up all trash/recycles.

FINAL CHECK
-	All doors closed and latched.  All windows/vents closed and latched.  All connections closed.  All locking pins on hitch and trunnion bars.  Tow chains, 7-pin cable, breakaway cable all connected.  Tongue jack raised all the way.  Nothing left at camp site.  Nothing under trailer.  Camp site clean.

Ready to roll!
HOW-TO: Hook up the camper:
Code:
-	Raise trailer with tongue jack.
-	Back up truck to trailer, leaving about 3-5’ of space.
-	Install hitch into receiver, lock with pin.
-	Install trunnion bars (place bottom in first, lift top latch, lift bar into place, release latch, make sure latch is secured) on both left/right sides.  Stickers should be on top.  Swing out of the way of trailer hitch.
-	Slowly back up truck to trailer to align ball and trailer coupler.  Make sure trailer is jacked up high enough for clearance.  When aligned, set parking brake.  Turn on lights and flashers.
-	Make sure trailer coupler latch is disengaged.
-	Slowly lower trailer onto ball.
-	Engage trailer coupler latch.  May need to pull truck forward slightly to seat properly.  Be sure to set parking brake again.  Install coupler latch pin.
-	Raise trailer again to lift trailer for trunnion bar installation.
-	Swing trunnion bars up to trunnion brackets.  May need trunnion install tool/hook.
-	Install trunnion bar locks so the hook goes over the top of the bar.  Install lock pins.
-	Lower the trailer and fully raise the tongue jack.  Stow landing block.
-	Plug in the 7-pin trailer wiring harness.
-	Hook up safety chains.  They must criss-cross under the hitch to cradle it in case of a failure.
-	Hook up trailer brake break-away switch cable to safety chain eye on truck.
-	Verify that all side/top marker lights are on.  Verify that the brake lights are blinking.  Verify that the tag light is on.
-	Remove front chocks.  If needed, release parking brake and back up just enough to release pressure on wheel chocks.  Set parking brake.
-	Remove rear chocks.  If needed, release parking brake and pull forward just enough to release pressure on wheel chocks.  Set parking brake.
-	Stow all wheel chocks, leveling blocks, and jack pads.
-	Check that rear view camera is working.
HOW-TO: Set up the camper for camping:
Code:
CAMPER PREP
-	Check that there is enough room for trailer and nothing is in the way.
-	Back into (or pull through) to camp site.  Ensure utilities are close enough for all available hookups.
-	Ensure there is enough room for slide out.  Slide out needs about 3’ of clearance.
-	Set parking brake.
-	Place level across trailer A-frame to level side-to-side (perpendicular to trailer).
-	Use leveling blocks under wheels to get trailer level side-to-side.  They can be stacked like Lego’s if needed.  (Release parking brake, pull forward, place block(s), back onto block(s), set parking brake, recheck level.)
-	Once level side-to-side, place wheel chocks.
-	Place jack pad for tongue jack.  Lower tongue jack.
-	Raise trailer with tongue jack enough to release tension on trunnion bars.
-	Unlock and remove trunnion bars.  Stow bars/locks/pins in compartment.
-	Disconnect breakaway cable, safety chains, and 7-pin harness.
-	Remove pin from coupler latch.
-	Unlock coupler latch.  May need to lower trailer with jack.
-	Raise trailer with tongue jack until ball is disengaged and clear of coupler.
-	Pull truck forward about 3’.
-	Remove the hitch pin and remove and stow the hitch.
-	Park truck.
-	Place level front-to-back on trailer A-frame (parallel to trailer).
-	Use tongue jack to level front-to-back.
-	Lower stabilizer jacks.  Use jack pads as needed.  NEVER USE STABILIZER JACKS TO LEVEL TRAILER!
-	Check that camp site breaker is off.  Hook up Power Watchdog.  Turn breaker on.  Verify power is OK.
-	Hook up utilities – electric first, cable, potable water, and sewer last.
-	Turn on propane.
-	Turn on furnace or A/C as needed.
-	Turn refrigerator to “Auto”.  Once cool, transfer items from cooler to fridge.  (Pre-cool fridge 1-2 days before leaving to camp to help speed up the process.)
-	Bleed air from water lines.  Make sure water heater is full of water.
-	If using electric for water heater, turn on outside switch.  If using propane, turn on switch in bathroom.  (Can use both for fastest recovery.)
-	Fold out steps.
-	Ensure nothing is in the way of slide out.  Open slide out.
-	Ensure nothing is in the way of awning.  Open awning.
-	Set up Nano router, chargers, TV amp, fans, etc.

SITE PREP
-	Set up rug, chairs, table, umbrella, grill, etc.

Ready to camp!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

In your "HOW-TO: Set up the camper for camping:", you forgot the most important, life saving last three steps.

Sit in comfy chair.
Pop a cold beer.
Enjoy.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Mopar Guy

very detailed.

My one comment, and this is a preference. I load and unload my fridge at home. No need for the cooler step. You can leave fridge on as you travel down the road
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

LOL! I'd better add it!

Wife is a nurse, so she wants to print, laminate, and use dry erase markers every time. Better have those final steps!!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
very detailed.

My one comment, and this is a preference. I load and unload my fridge at home. No need for the cooler step. You can leave fridge on as you travel down the road
I've read so many things over the past few weeks, I'm honestly confused on this. A lot of people say it's illegal to run propane while going down the road. Others say only in/on tunnels/bridges. Yet others say it's up to the locality.

I guess an option is to load the fridge and run propane, then turn it off for the restricted areas?
Old 09-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Mopar Guy

only place it is illegal is in tunnels. You should turn it off when getting fuel for your tow vehicle (I admit to not turning it off)

Anywhere it is illegal to have propane running, will have a sign telling you so,
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

We pack our fridge & freezer at home, with fridge running. Then we turn off the fridge last thing before pulling out for the trip. Our fridge & freezer stay cold (assuming it got cold) while driving without running the propane. I even fill the ice bin and we have ice when we arrive at our destination. In our opinion and experience, towing with propane is simply not needed.
Your experience may vary.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #8

100% agree with Flowsmith -
It is not safe to run your propane while driving, yes some may have gone 30 years without an issue but I can show you reports of MH being reduced to rubble because a fire caused by your open flame & propane. while driving.
We also pack out fridge items at home right before we leave. then when we drive away, we use a bunch of reusable freeze packs strategically placed around the fridge and freezer while we drive to keep items cold until we arrive when we can start our fridge
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
only place it is illegal is in tunnels. You should turn it off when getting fuel for your tow vehicle (I admit to not turning it off)

Anywhere it is illegal to have propane running, will have a sign telling you so,
I believe you’ll find it’s Maritime Law that you must turn off your propane at the tank when boarding a ferry......or any ship for that matter.

I believe.......

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #10

Good Sam has some law information (post is 2010 laws but I suspect still valid)
Check bottom of post Few States (Bridges & Tunnels, Ferry's)

https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=2377513
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check