Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

cleaning aluminum sided trailer (wax?)

I've had my aluminum sided TT for a little over a year (bought it new). It was covered for the california winter. I'm getting those ugly black lines on the trailer and am looking for any tips or advise. I take care of my TT, but in one year its begining to look mildly neglected. Wax? what type? how often? Anything would be appreciated.
wilksfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #2

Not going to offer advice on cleaning your aluminum sided trailer (ours is fibreglass gelcoat), but can offer advice on minimizing the problem in the future. Go to your RV dealer accessory shop and purchase and install gutter extensions - the longer ones, about 4 inches or so in length. They go a long way in reducing the "black lines" that appear on your trailer. Make sure that you install one on each end of ALL of your trailers rain gutters.

....VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #3

A good carnuba wax twice a year. It'll make cleaning those streaks off easier.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #4

thanks for the posts. This TT should look brand new for years. Just trying to find out what works.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #5

Nu-Finish works good for me.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #6

Get a good black streak remover spray and scrub, wash with car wash of your liking i use Eagle one wash and eagle one nano wax. Its a lot of work but well worth it. I used a cleaner on mine i got a auto zone called purple power sprayed it on scubbed with a brush, rinse really well,it worked real good and washed with car soap than let dry and wax. Before you use any cleaner try a small area first to make sure no ill effects to camper and then go to work
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Wax at least once a year!

I have a 1999 (OCT 99) Dutchman alum sided trailer. I have every year in the spring washed it to remove the black streaks from the sides. After a good cleaning, I have hand polished the entire outside with a Polish called
"NU-FINISH". My siding today is still in pretty good shape considering the age of the TT. It is a good two day job to polish it completely (working 4-5 hours each day) but it is worth it. Follow the directions on the NU-FINISH container. You have to go back, looking down the sides to see areas that are missed. When you are finished, you will admire your new looking again RV.

The NU-FINISH polish (I understand) was developed for application to be applied to the surface of the of the space rockets while sitting on the launch pads being prepped for launch. Seems that the polish prevented the salt from the the air at the Florida launch site from adhering to the surface. (a fly even has a problem landing on my car because it is so slick)

All I know it works for me here in the rough Florida weather.

Sid
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #8

Ditto on the Nu-Finish.
I've used it for years on all my vehicles without any problems. It's not a wax but a sealent so it can be applied in direct sunlight. Easy on and off.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #9

Thanks for everyone taking the time to put their 2 cents in.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #10

I agree on Nu-Finish. We've used it all our rigs--aluminum and fiberglass--mainly because it's impossible for us to find a completely shady area to wax them so using a polish that glides on and off in direct sun is the best route for us.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote