Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #1

cleaning exterior of flagstaff camper

does anyone know what the manufacture (forest river) suggest for cleaning exterior of a flagstaff
clav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

I've been using the RV Wash and Wax from WalMart - I think it's CAMCO brand. Used it for 2.5 years, cleans nice enough. I use their roof cleaner and that does a good job also but be sure to wash it off the sides as it does streak. Do the roof, then the sides - and you'll be squeeky clean! I find they aren't good for washing cars though - leave a film, doesn't rinse well. Also leaves a some spotting on the windows. With my TT I would wipe it down, can't even think of it with the new 5th wheel. ed
semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #3

Not sure about the manf. recommendations, probably in my trailer's manual.

But, I use Mr Clean magic erasers. Work super fast and easy. I also hit it with a bit of windex now and then.

Follow up with a nice coat of carnuba wax and it lasts all season with just a light car soap and water wash.

That's the sides only, not the roof.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #4

Can't see spending the extra money on the RV products. I use Dawn dish shop to wash trl and roof, and then Nu-Finish wax each spring and fall. Works great and at 1/2 the money as the specialty products.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

To wash my trailer I use the same product than my truck. Turtle wax wash and wax is very good also simomiz car wash is good also. I use twice a year a wax for fiberglass boats made by starbrite. For my roofI use sunlight liquid dish . I use a yatch mop while I stay on the side of my trailer so I dont have to walk on the roof. The sunlight liquid dish is doing a fantastic job and does not harm the menbrane.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

I've used black steak remover ...quote unquote ... for last 10 years on 3 of my trailers. May be pricie at the dealer .. but you use very little .. and requires very little effort ...an excellent product. Stay away from anything abrasive .. like majic erasors .. as they will break down the filon or fiberglass ... and void your warrenty.

d-mo
Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

I use purple power it works great on every thing and its cheap at walmart
gene17847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
camping

I use Murphy Oil Soap on the roof. A wash/wax (Maguires or Rain ex) product on the sides. I also use a bounce dryer sheet to remove any bugs. twice a year I wax the entire camper with Protect All and treat the slide out seals and rubber around windows with Thetford slide out seal and rubber conditioner. I get very little black streaks and they wash right off. for the awnings I mix bleach and Dawn and that works good. it takes a good day to get it all done but worth it.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Can't see spending the extra money on the RV products. I use Dawn dish shop to wash trl and roof, and then Nu-Finish wax each spring and fall. Works great and at 1/2 the money as the specialty products.
Just thought I would let you know that most dish soaps strip any wax off, so if you wax at the begining of the year and then use dish soap after to clean it you have just taken all of your wax off.

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
Just thought I would let you know that most dish soaps strip any wax off, so if you wax at the begining of the year and then use dish soap after to clean it you have just taken all of your wax off.
Be careful with any dish detergent, as they are abrasive and have a little grit to them. That's how they get the difficult stuff off of your dishes. Basically it is like wet sanding. And they are harsh and strip off wax.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #11

I know they recommend Murphy,s Oil Soap for the roof,I use regular car wash soap for the exterior,spray detail wax from Lucas.
tom50mg is offline   Reply With Quote