Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #21

2 emergencies only....lots of water is #2's best friend.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd never own a R/V with a toilet I couldn't use for EVERYTHING anytime I wanted to use it.

As said before... may as well remove it.

These phobias of R/V toilets being contemptible are unfounded.
Learn how to use it and how to dump it and you'll have zero issues with it.

If you have clogged/blocked up issues you haven't learned.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #23

X2
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #24
Site Team

The progression of this thread is interesting. It was originally started last December. Then it got bumped again in January. Then again in March. Then there's one post from April, a few more in May and then got bumped again today.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
The progression of this thread is interesting. It was originally started last December. Then it got bumped again in January. Then again in March. Then there's one post from April, a few more in May and then got bumped again today.
I noticed that too and went back through and looked to see if I had responded.

I hadn't and since conversations are conversations, I see no harm in it continuing, whenever the next post may be.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #26

[QUOTE=merrykalia;1988187]This is the best thing we have ever used. We keep it available and will occasionally cram it down in the toilet and give it a whirl just to make sure stuff is moving along out of there.

So if you are making this wand as a DIY project, then what size pipe do you use as a Johnny Chock? He did not use one in his video shown, but did use it in a different video. Too pricey to purchase his kit though, but a DIY setup should do just as well, I believe. thanks for posting.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #27

I'm new to RVing, I would love to learn people's methods for treating and caring for their black and grey tanks. Thanks
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadJones View Post
I'm new to RVing, I would love to learn people's methods for treating and caring for their black and grey tanks. Thanks
We use Happy Camper in the black and gray waste tanks. It has enzymes that seem to break everything down, given time.
What I noticed and like most about it is it doesn't have that chemical odor. In fact there is no tank odor while in use or when dumping.

After we dump, black tank first followed by gray tank to flush the hose, we add Happy Camper to both tanks along with 3 to 5 more gallons of water. Driving causes sloshing in the tank and my sensors are working correctly again.

Everyone has their favorite tank treatment and dumping method so you'll just need to find yours from the suggestions.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:19 AM   #29

I've had the "MOUND" twice. It wasn't fun getting rid of it as we were dry camping both times. I actually used air pressure from the portable air compressor I used to carry to clear the problem but again not fun at all. As said water is your friend. We just did 10 days in a provincial campground with no sewer hook up. I brought my 35 gallon tote that I put into the back of the dually and pump into it with the macerator pump if I have to dump. It's just the wife and I so what we do is keep the liquid in the toilet untill toilet is almost full. If solid, it gets flushed with a full bowl of water. We managed to last the 10 days without having to dump and could have gone a few more days as the tell tale burp hadn't started to happen. I also put liquid calgon, liquid laundry detergent, 2 oz of Unique RV Digest-it and an odor reducer in the toilet after every dump. The RV Digest-it will get rid of a mound within 24 hours if a whole bottle is dumped into the tank, according to Unique.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
We use Happy Camper in the black and gray waste tanks. It has enzymes that seem to break everything down, given time.
What I noticed and like most about it is it doesn't have that chemical odor. In fact there is no tank odor while in use or when dumping.

After we dump, black tank first followed by gray tank to flush the hose, we add Happy Camper to both tanks along with 3 to 5 more gallons of water. Driving causes sloshing in the tank and my sensors are working correctly again.

Everyone has their favorite tank treatment and dumping method so you'll just need to find yours from the suggestions.
So you put a little happy camper in the black and grey tanks at the beginning of the trip and then again at the end of the trip to slosh around?

Someone was telling me they use a little Tide at the end to slosh around. [emoji16]

So you can pretty much put any liquid down the grey tank, yes? Like soda, coffee.. Etc. Just NO food.

Thanks again, I'm learning and asking as lot of questions. [emoji16]
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
So you put a little happy camper in the black and grey tanks at the beginning of the trip and then again at the end of the trip to slosh around?

Someone was telling me they use a little Tide at the end to slosh around. [emoji16]

So you can pretty much put any liquid down the grey tank, yes? Like soda, coffee.. Etc. Just NO food.

Thanks again, I'm learning and asking as lot of questions. [emoji16]
Once you dump/flush, it is always a good to add some water back into the tank (3-4 gallons) and some of the chemical of your choice. Keeps the tank and any leftover contents from drying and sticking to the bottom of the tank.

Remember, these are HOLDING tanks not SEPTIC tanks. The only time they even get close to being septic tanks is when you are seasonal or permanent or you are somewhere for a month or so and don't need to dump for a month or more.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #32
Site Team

X3 on Happy Camper. Like the fact that there is no formaldehyde odor and it is also safe for campground septic stations.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #33

Quote:
We like to avoid using chemicals whenever possible.
Since our purchase of our 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite, we have used TankTechsRx (totally green product, live microorganisms consumes waste, eliminates odor.). Before the first use AND after each dumping, we refill with few gallons of water, add 1/2 capful of Calgon, a small amount of Dawn dish detergent, 1 capful of TankTechsRx.
Plus it doesn’t hurt to throw in some ice to “slush” things around cleaning sides of tank as you drive home! We’ve never had a problem, no smells, sensors seem accurate.
Also, very important to ONLY use RV toilet paper, single ply preferred, but if you must use Charmin (lol..brand we like best), then we dispose in garbage can w/lid in bathroom & throw bag away each day. We also spray inside the can with essential oil spritz just to ensure no stinky odors!!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote