Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
Open Space Wanted

Lightbulb Condo Owners / Filling & Charging Travel Trailers

How are those not able to roll up a travel trailer to a house filling up with water and charging batteries?

I'm looking into a travel trailer and the more I research, the worse things get. The only storage I can find is 10x20 ft. with no electric or water available. I'd like to dry camp but not sure my neighbors and association would like to see a ≤20 ft. trailer parked outside with an A/C extension cord and water hose hanging out a balcony from a few stories up.

Any suggestions where to fill up and charge before a trip?
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #2

As to the battery, you should be able to disconnect the negative battery cable and keep it charged. As an alternative, you could remove the battery, put it on your balcony and put a battery charger on it connected to the electric.
If you get a propane/electric refrigerator, you can put the battery back in the rig the night before and run the refrigerator on propane (it has an electric igniter) to get it cold before you take off.

Filling with water is a problem. You could carry several gallons of water to get you to the campground. Then most campgrounds have some place you can fill up with water if you're dry camping. Also some gas stations that cater to truckers have places to put water in the rig.

It's doable. You just need to prepare ahead.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
How are those not able to roll up a travel trailer to a house filling up with water and charging batteries?

I'm looking into a travel trailer and the more I research, the worse things get. The only storage I can find is 10x20 ft. with no electric or water available. I'd like to dry camp but not sure my neighbors and association would like to see a ≤20 ft. trailer parked outside with an A/C extension cord and water hose hanging out a balcony from a few stories up.

If you posted in what town or city you live in, some members may know of places for potable water.
As was said, with a battery disconnect switch on the battery, it should be fine. I left my HTT in storage for 4 months without hookups and the batteries were fine.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #4

Another option on the battery is to install a small solar panel to keep it charged, assuming your storage is not covered.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:26 AM   #5

Checkout State Parks near you or along the way as some state parks charge a nominal fee to use dump stations which generally have a potable water source. In Michigan I believe it’s $10 if you’re not campy at the park.
Cdj8465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Open Space Wanted

Thanks for the responses and will need to see what's available between D.C. and Baltimore to see if it's worth pulling the trigger on one. May wind up getting some land and building a cabin but dislike going back to the same place over and over.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #7

Some suggestions on sourcing:
https://rvlife.com/freshwater-for-dry-camping/

My thoughts on doing so safely:
1. A gas station (or other) spigot (even in an RV park) may have been the target for a passing male dog. I keep a spray bottle of Clorox Cleanup or similar product on hand to sanitize the hose bib and the ends of my hoses. Apply, let sit for about 10 minutes if possible, and then flush the hoses before filling your tank. A pump sprayer with a 10% mix of Clorox is even better.
2. Be sure to use ONLY potable water certified hoses. If there's a garden hose attached to the hose bib, disconnect it and use your own. A typical garden hose does not meet potable water standards, and some my be "contaminated" with toxins including heavy metals.
3. Keep your potable water equipment clean AND sanitize before each use. I use giant zip-loc bags to hold my small parts, and keep contaminants out of my potable water hoses by connecting the ends together for storage, storing in a dedicated tote bag, and sanitizing all hose-ends and connections before every fill.
4. A good water filter might provide some protection from local "hazards" in the water...ones that local residents are adapted to, but just might ruin your weekend...not to mention, it might filter out minerals and metals that could crud up your hot water heater and shower head.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #8

Dependent on where you live in the metro DC/Baltimore area most if tnot all Royal Farms stations will let you fill fresh water tanks for free. Just be sure to sanitize spigot before usage. There are some who MISUSE the water spigots with their animals and other inappropriate use. If you travel on Rt301/40 or Rt50 there are places that invite RV stopping. None have dumping stations. PS: Don't let MD State Troopers or MD Highway Safety officers stop you with propane tanks ON/OPEN. They are on a new level of safety checks for trucks, trailers and RV's. Happy camping.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Some suggestions on sourcing:
https://rvlife.com/freshwater-for-dry-camping/

My thoughts on doing so safely:
1. A gas station (or other) spigot (even in an RV park) may have been the target for a passing male dog. I keep a spray bottle of Clorox Cleanup or similar product on hand to sanitize the hose bib and the ends of my hoses. Apply, let sit for about 10 minutes if possible, and then flush the hoses before filling your tank. A pump sprayer with a 10% mix of Clorox is even better.
2. Be sure to use ONLY potable water certified hoses. If there's a garden hose attached to the hose bib, disconnect it and use your own. A typical garden hose does not meet potable water standards, and some my be "contaminated" with toxins including heavy metals.
3. Keep your potable water equipment clean AND sanitize before each use. I use giant zip-loc bags to hold my small parts, and keep contaminants out of my potable water hoses by connecting the ends together for storage, storing in a dedicated tote bag, and sanitizing all hose-ends and connections before every fill.
4. A good water filter might provide some protection from local "hazards" in the water...ones that local residents are adapted to, but just might ruin your weekend...not to mention, it might filter out minerals and metals that could crud up your hot water heater and shower head.

Definitely great information and appreciate it as well as the link. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
Dependent on where you live in the metro DC/Baltimore area most if tnot all Royal Farms stations will let you fill fresh water tanks for free. Just be sure to sanitize spigot before usage. There are some who MISUSE the water spigots with their animals and other inappropriate use. If you travel on Rt301/40 or Rt50 there are places that invite RV stopping. None have dumping stations. PS: Don't let MD State Troopers or MD Highway Safety officers stop you with propane tanks ON/OPEN. They are on a new level of safety checks for trucks, trailers and RV's. Happy camping.

Did not know about Royal Farms and thanks for the tip. Guess you'll have to rely on DC power for the fridge on the way out of Maryland and didn't know that. Any other states with the prohibition?

Would you happen to know of any good small trailer locations that are not "RV parking lots" (secluded), dry sites in surrounding DE, PA, WV, VA states as well as in-state?

This is all new to me (moving on from tent camping to keep family interested), still absorbing and may pull the trigger within the week.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #10

x2 on a solar panel. You can put a 10 watt panel on one battery without a charge controller, or 20 watts on two batteries. If you use your battery disconnect, that is all you'll ever need to keep the batteries charged. But charge controllers are so inexpensive that there is no reason not to have one. The Renogy10 amp controller is only $20 and will tell you battery voltage. If you ever want to boondock, a 100 watt panel is about the minimum I'd recommend. There are online apps that will tell you where the nearest dump station is. Most have potable water.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #11
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
x2 on a solar panel. You can put a 10 watt panel on one battery without a charge controller, or 20 watts on two batteries. If you use your battery disconnect, that is all you'll ever need to keep the batteries charged. But charge controllers are so inexpensive that there is no reason not to have one. The Renogy10 amp controller is only $20 and will tell you battery voltage. If you ever want to boondock, a 100 watt panel is about the minimum I'd recommend. There are online apps that will tell you where the nearest dump station is. Most have potable water.

The Geo Pro G16BH has the 190W panel. So you can keep it connected during the winter months if not used, and should keep the batteries topped off then.

Apparently you can add a second panel and replace batteries with Lithium...at probably around $1.5K.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:

A lot of good suggestions already posted. Our storage lot doesn't have electric or water so had to improvise. I bought a second collapsible water jug (5 gallon) and a hand-drill water pump made for potable water. I can pump 10 gallons of fresh water. I also have a 100volt pump, my truck has a converter built in.

For the electric I HAD a small battery tender solar panel but someone needed more than I did. But we go over about once a month and turn on the disconnect push the battery button if the battery is low just hook up jumper cables.

Dry camping is a whole other story. You have to have a generator large enough for your AC.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Definitely great information and appreciate it as well as the link. Thanks.

Did not know about Royal Farms and thanks for the tip. Guess you'll have to rely on DC power for the fridge on the way out of Maryland and didn't know that. Any other states with the prohibition?

Would you happen to know of any good small trailer locations that are not "RV parking lots" (secluded), dry sites in surrounding DE, PA, WV, VA states as well as in-state?

This is all new to me (moving on from tent camping to keep family interested), still absorbing and may pull the trigger within the week.
Maryland recently started the look for RV violations. I guess they need more income other than taxes. Prior to this year, only time you were required to turn off propane was going through tunnels in Baltimore. Were even allowed to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with propane on. I never travelled with propane on due to DW concerns, so I put 2 one gallon frozen water containers in freezer and 3 one gallon frozen containers in refrig. They stayed mostly solid for 4-5 hours which got me to campground hookups. I can't answer questions about "small" campgrounds as I only stay at military campgrounds and occasionally public/private campgrounds in PA Dutch Country. I also have a 12vdc cooler (frozen, perishable and other prepared meals) and large cooler (drinks only) that I keep food in until I reach destination. Usually stop at roadside veggie stands to pickup veggies and fruits.
Anyway happy camping and maybe see you on the road.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
Another option on the battery is to install a small solar panel to keep it charged, assuming your storage is not covered.

X2

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:01 PM   #15
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-OH View Post
A lot of good suggestions already posted. Our storage lot doesn't have electric or water so had to improvise. I bought a second collapsible water jug (5 gallon) and a hand-drill water pump made for potable water. I can pump 10 gallons of fresh water. I also have a 100volt pump, my truck has a converter built in.

For the electric I HAD a small battery tender solar panel but someone needed more than I did. But we go over about once a month and turn on the disconnect push the battery button if the battery is low just hook up jumper cables.

Dry camping is a whole other story. You have to have a generator large enough for your AC.

So you fill up 5 gal. jugs from home and take them to storage and fill it up full? That's one option but I have 2.5 gal. hard containers I use for camping and the weight is enough to share the load with others. If I would have gone with 5, I'd be the only one hauling water to/from the site.

Was that panel stolen at your storage place? That really sucks.

Guess a 3KW generator should be okay for a 13.5 BTU A/C. Luckily we don't like it cold and can live with 74° A/C. Heat is another story for them, stuck at 72° there. More weight to add to include gasoline to smell up the place. If I go with the G16BH, one of the first things I'll take out is that external fridge and may be a good place for a generator.

I'm going to have to test out usage closer to civilization first before I start going that route. I typically try going light with tent camping and probably going to keep most of my stuff and not try and make this a second home filling it up with non-essential crap. Rather be somewhere where I can't get a cell signal and let others learn to enjoy the outdoors more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
Maryland recently started the look for RV violations. I guess they need more income other than taxes. Prior to this year, only time you were required to turn off propane was going through tunnels in Baltimore. Were even allowed to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with propane on. I never travelled with propane on due to DW concerns, so I put 2 one gallon frozen water containers in freezer and 3 one gallon frozen containers in refrig. They stayed mostly solid for 4-5 hours which got me to campground hookups. I can't answer questions about "small" campgrounds as I only stay at military campgrounds and occasionally public/private campgrounds in PA Dutch Country. I also have a 12vdc cooler (frozen, perishable and other prepared meals) and large cooler (drinks only) that I keep food in until I reach destination. Usually stop at roadside veggie stands to pickup veggies and fruits.
Anyway happy camping and maybe see you on the road.
Will have to be on the lookout and thought this would help me slow down so I don't get pulled over.

Going to try and hold out as long as I can without non-perishables like tent camping. Last couple of trips I broke down and took a 7 qt. cooler and made them happy for the first couple of nights. We all drink room temperature water so that's another plus.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #16

Nasty water spigots

At the last rally we attended, my neighbor put his sewer hose right over the hose bib to clean out the sewer hose....... disgusting
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, trailer, travel, travel trailer