Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #21

Dumping grey water with garden hose

HOw do you use a garden hose to dump the grey water on a tree??? is a converter that fits on the fits where you can hook a garden hose to it??
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by br23mat8 View Post
HOw do you use a garden hose to dump the grey water on a tree??? is a converter that fits on the fits where you can hook a garden hose to it??

Yes it is basically a cap that has a threaded part on it for a garden hose and then a cap for that so you can close it. Found at any camp store or online.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Caps often have a garden hose fitting on it. Don't use your good hose....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #24
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
We're going to be staying at a campground where the dump station is more than a mile away. I really don't want to have to hook up the TT in order to dump gray water hallway through our stay.

Would it be reasonable, safe, good idea, etc...to dump 15 or 20 gal of gray water (5 gal at a time) into a bucket and then dump the bucket into the toilet? That would free up space in the gray tank.

I know we can do other things as well such as particular dishwashing strategies and showering at the "community shower".

Thanks!
If the ground under you is soil and grass, can't you let it trickle over that.
Where I camp that is allowed as it helps with grass maintenance.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Why not just get a blue tote tank?
I've got a pair of those 7 gal aquatainers from Wal Mart that I keep for just that reason...actually had to use them for the first time last year.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Yes it is basically a cap that has a threaded part on it for a garden hose and then a cap for that so you can close it. Found at any camp store or online.
I picked one up at Wal Mart. When I maxed my grey tank last year, I just hooked a short section of hose (I keep two 6 foot sections of "leader hose" from a hose real for my black flush) to the cap and drained into those containers. Drove them down and dumped them when I had a chance.

I also keep a five gallon container and a funnel just in case I'm not on hookup and need to top off the freshwater.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
We wash dishes in a plastic tub that fits inside the kitchen sink, then dump the dirty dish water into the toilet.
X2 But keep the grey water in bucket untill you feel the need to go #2, before you go pour some grey water in bowl to help out with flush. I don't pay attention to level indicators for black water tank, best to shut water off, flush the toilet and look down the hole to see where level is.

Doing this gives you much more time between Sani dump visits. This may not appeal to everyone's thinking but we use biodegradable soap and depending on where we are we sometimes water the foliage with our grey water. Doesn't hurt a thing, but some people might not agree
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #27

It’s not allowed in Florida state parks nor in any of the other campgrounds we go to. I would not be happy to pull into a site only to find someone dumped their tank. When we had a pop up we had a portable tank we put our gray water in.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #28
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Caps often have a garden hose fitting on it. Don't use your good hose....
Open the garden hose connection after you leave the campground and are on the highway. It will drain your grey water onto the pavement or dirt road where it won't be a problem to anything or anyone. Once drained stop and close it. Oh yeah, you may get a few honks from people passing you, but don't let that stop you. However, DO NOT do this with your black water tank.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #29

I purchased a 30 gallon drum, a cap for my dump valve that has a regular garden hose fitting on it, and an electric transfer pump.

I can pump my gray water out using the transfer pump into the drum in the back of the truck, then take it to the dump station and dump the drum via gravity with a hose.

Last year we went 10 days without needing to dump the black and I dumped the gray every other day. We had water hookup at the site.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #30
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
Open the garden hose connection after you leave the campground and are on the highway. It will drain your grey water onto the pavement or dirt road where it won't be a problem to anything or anyone. Once drained stop and close it. Oh yeah, you may get a few honks from people passing you, but don't let that stop you. However, DO NOT do this with your black water tank.
Some states will not allow this. In Wisconsin you may get away with it until LEO see the leaking fluid. He will stop you so you can fix the leak. If he notices the leak is intentional, you will get a ticket. Unless he is feeling generous.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #31

Is it possible to disconnect the toilet supply line from the fresh water supply line completely. Then add a second on demand 12 volt pump fed from the shower grey tank for the toilet? That way you are flushing your business with water from the grey. That seems like that would be a great way to both empty or utilize the grey, and not fill the black tank with fresh good water.

Gary.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #32

Not a bad idea!
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #33
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
It’s not allowed in Florida state parks nor in any of the other campgrounds we go to. I would not be happy to pull into a site only to find someone dumped their tank. When we had a pop up we had a portable tank we put our gray water in.
I was specifically talking about grey water, non-toxic soapy stuff only. Perfectly safe on the grass, especially the hardy buffalo and cooch types used in RV parks. I am talking about my Australian experience of course. It soaks in pretty quickly. You rarely get a boggy site and most folk are sensible enough to pipe it under their RV. only where park owners allow too of course.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #34
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
If I知 riding my motorcycle behind you dumping grey water on the road I知 not going to very impressed! Grey water has soap and some grease in it so it can make the road slippery. Please take the time to dump grey water where it should go. Either stop at a dump station, get a blue boy or even drain it slowly in the bush.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #35
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If I知 riding my motorcycle behind you dumping grey water on the road I知 not going to very impressed! Grey water has soap and some grease in it so it can make the road slippery. Please take the time to dump grey water where it should go. Either stop at a dump station, get a blue boy or even drain it slowly in the bush.
I have known folk who dump while they drive, outback roads only, but you can never tell when someone that might be affected will come up from behind. Better to stop, preferably on a side track, dump the grey stuff on the shoulder then close up and drive off. Doesn't take long, or use it as a coffee break.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #36

Why wouldn't they...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I do that sometimes, just be sure to not spill inside the camper. Gray water can be a little nasty.

the extra black water in the tank is good for draining the black tank.

some people get a twist on gate valve, place it on the drain outlet, open the grey valve then open the black and let some grey into the black, then close the black and grey
Why wouldn't they just put a Valterra cap on the valve assembly and open both of the existing gates? Woouldn't that do the same thing?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:07 PM   #37

I might try to let grey water flow into an empty black tank by putting a cap or twist-on valve on the outlet and opening the black and grey dump valves to help flush the black tank, but I知 not sure about doing it if the black tank is partially full.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #38

At least some of the State Parks here in Ohio, Have grey water drains every few sites that you can pour grey water down. I think they are for tent campers but anyone can use them. Hello 5 gallon bucket. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #39
GLCM Warrior

Although I've never seen it (and hope I never do), out here they don't want you dumping grey water anywhere near a campsite as it can contain some food particles and odors that may attract nearby bears!

Bears do have a very keen sense of smell as I've seen the damage one did to a car parked at a trail head with just an open pack of life savers inside.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #40
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Although I've never seen it (and hope I never do), out here they don't want you dumping grey water anywhere near a campsite as it can contain some food particles and odors that may attract nearby bears!

Bears do have a very keen sense of smell as I've seen the damage one did to a car parked at a trail head with just an open pack of life savers inside.
You reminded me of camping when I was a kid. In those days some of the Provincial Parks used to hang garbage cans on the post where you put your registration paper. The black bears would come along in the evening and inspect every garbage can. It was entertaining for campers watching their skill at tipping the cans without spilling anything as they checked for food.

I know lots of campers still dump dish water in the bush around their campsites and it doesn’t attract bears but it likely does attract critters.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank