Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
They told you to do it at midnight because most places would kick you out for dumping grey water on the ground.

I'm curious how long of a time frame the original poster is camping? If taking showers at the shower house how fast could one fill their tank? I could probably make it a month or more if not showering in my unit.
the COE host just said run the
grey on the ground, I added the midnite option myself. I have run it at all hours of the day if needed.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #42

The "MIDNIGHT" part should have been a real Good Indicator that it is "Improper or Illegal"! Youroo!! Kind of brings back Chidlhood memories , "Hey Jimmy TOLD me to Do It"! Youroo!!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Get a long water hose and run grey water out on the ground at midnite if necessary. I had one COE camp host to tell me to do that.
I was just using your Post #17 words! Youroo!!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I've only ever been to one campground that allowed grew water dumping, and that one wasn't 'dump on the ground'. They had plastic 50 gallon drums buried in the ground filled with gravel and pea stone you were supposed to dump into that acted kind of like a septic weeper.

It was not what I was expecting when the Sister in Law who booked the joint sites for all of us said "Sure, there's dump stations at the site" when we asked if she had booked with sewer hookups. She also booked us a 26' site for our 34' overall length, 29' box TT. It was an interesting weekend.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #45
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Although I've never seen it (and hope I never do), out here they don't want you dumping grey water anywhere near a campsite as it can contain some food particles and odors that may attract nearby bears!

Bears do have a very keen sense of smell as I've seen the damage one did to a car parked at a trail head with just an open pack of life savers inside.
I suppose that is one thing we can be grateful for here down under. Our 'bears' are a lot smaller and more cuddly. They eat nothing but a particular type of eucalypt leaf and the worst they do is pee/poop on your roof.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Why wouldn't they just put a Valterra cap on the valve assembly and open both of the existing gates? Woouldn't that do the same thing?

Larry
Putting a cap on and opening the valves would accomplish the same thing... as far as equalizing the tanks.

The problem with the cap-vs-the twist on gate valve is with the cap method, when you go to take the cap off to put the sewer hose on, you'll have a mess with what is in the piping between the cap and the existing valves. And before you ask... yes... if you installed the sewer hose at the start before you equalized the tanks, then it's not much of an issue but remember, the OP is at a site with no hook-ups and the dump station is a mile away so the sewer hose won't be connected. The twist on gate valve will allow you to install the sewer hose anytime with no mess and once you do connect it, you'll simply pull the handle to open the twist on valve.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
Open the garden hose connection after you leave the campground and are on the highway. It will drain your grey water onto the pavement or dirt road where it won't be a problem to anything or anyone. Once drained stop and close it. Oh yeah, you may get a few honks from people passing you, but don't let that stop you. However, DO NOT do this with your black water tank.
This has to be a joke.
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #48
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Some states will not allow this. In Wisconsin you may get away with it until LEO see the leaking fluid. He will stop you so you can fix the leak. If he notices the leak is intentional, you will get a ticket. Unless he is feeling generous.
We're a little more "fluid" out west.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Get a long water hose and run grey water out on the ground at midnite if necessary. I had one COE camp host to tell me to do that.

If you do this.... do not use this hose to fill up your fresh water tank. We have several water hoses for different 'purposes'.... One is only used to bring fresh water into the unit and nothing else.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #50
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZR View Post
Is it possible to disconnect the toilet supply line from the fresh water supply line completely. Then add a second on demand 12 volt pump fed from the shower grey tank for the toilet? That way you are flushing your business with water from the grey. That seems like that would be a great way to both empty or utilize the grey, and not fill the black tank with fresh good water.

Gary.
Someone makes a system that does just this. I have considered building my own, but it is a ways down the priority list. Things like camping come first!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #51
Site Team

Most RVers will have food particles in their gray water.
So dumping it on the ground will at minimum, attract insects if not animals too.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #52
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Why wouldn't they just put a Valterra cap on the valve assembly and open both of the existing gates? Woouldn't that do the same thing?

Larry
same except for the mess when you remove the cap to attache your sewer hose as a mix of grey and black water will be between the cap and the valves.

with the extra screw on gate valve in place of the cap you attach you sewer hose to it when you are ready to dump so no extra mess.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #53
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
If you do this.... do not use this hose to fill up your fresh water tank. We have several water hoses for different 'purposes'.... One is only used to bring fresh water into the unit and nothing else.
Most of use the white/blue 'certified for drinking' type for fresh water.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #54

Being a first time trailer owner (picked it up Feb 18th), I’m learning so much cool stuff.

Awesome thread.
RSW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #55

I always bring sun flower seeds with me boondocking. When we’re done. Place seeds on ground. Dump tanks. Leave. When we want to find our favorite spot we just look for the sunflowers. No need to search for those pesky dump stations. Keeps people away from using our spot too. Who needs to tow home with all that un necessary weight.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 AM   #56
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
I always bring sun flower seeds with me boondocking. When we’re done. Place seeds on ground. Dump tanks. Leave. When we want to find our favorite spot we just look for the sunflowers. No need to search for those pesky dump stations. Keeps people away from using our spot too. Who needs to tow home with all that un necessary weight.
I/we would presume that everybody else had left by this point. Or do you dig a hole first?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSW3 View Post
Being a first time trailer owner (picked it up Feb 18th), I’m learning so much cool stuff.

Awesome thread.

Welcome to the Forum.
There are many awesome threads on this forum that you may learn some 'tricks' from. If you do not see a questions answered, please start a thread and you will get a few different suggestions.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #58
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Where are you boondocking?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #59
Chief tinkerer

dish water into black tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
We wash dishes in a plastic tub that fits inside the kitchen sink, then dump the dirty dish water into the toilet.
this Great idea

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #60
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
We wash dishes in a plastic tub that fits inside the kitchen sink, then dump the dirty dish water into the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
this Great idea

Just be absolutely sure you get all of the utensils! Over the years, I’ve read of a couple of “I dropped a spoon down the toilet, how do I retrieve it?!” posts.

Tags
tank, water, water tank