Old 03-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

Coroplast repair for under belly

Now that supper Tuesday is over I was able to get three 8x4 political signs from the losers for free. I get some after every election as they are great for repairing under belly damage on our tt. They worked great when I had to cut an access hole to repair the shower drain.😁
rwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

How clever.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #3

I don't think I've ever seen a 4 x 8 political sign unless it was on a billboard.

'Course, they do everything bigger in Texas, right?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #4

I think the politicians have bigger heads here that’s why I guess. Even the smaller signs work good for access panels though. I have repaired several of my friends with them after blow outs for basically free compared to what the shops want.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Why wait until after the election, just yank them out of the ground! Just joking, but we do see them left way after he elections.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

One of them had a picture of the candidate and I considered putting a hole where the mouth is and mounting it on the black water drain ����
Old 03-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #7

note- this is not a criticism, so please take in the manner intended - which is to educate about something that's not actually important, but bugs me because I have industry knowledge about it.

Can I just say that "Coroplast" is a brand name for fluted (or corrugated) polypropylene sheeting? It is often used as a generic term, much in the same way that "Band Aid", and "Q-Tip" is used for self-adhesive bandages and cotton swabs - but Coroplast is actually the name of a company that produces a version of it.

There are several other brand names, as well - Cartonplast, Polyflute, Fluteplast, Proplex, Twinplast, Correx, and others.

Chloroplasts are organelles that conduct photosynthesis. Plant cells.

So, while your trailer probably has a fluted polypropylene sheet underbelly, it may or may not be Coroplast, and it is definitely not chloroplast.

It's kind of akin to calling a Pepsi a Coke because they are both cola products.

(source - a career working in an industry that makes heavy use of these products. Possibly even making the very political signs you are talking about)

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
note- this is not a criticism, so please take in the manner intended - which is to educate about something that's not actually important, but bugs me because I have industry knowledge about it.

Can I just say that "Coroplast" is a brand name for fluted (or corrugated) polypropylene sheeting? It is often used as a generic term, much in the same way that "Band Aid", and "Q-Tip" is used for self-adhesive bandages and cotton swabs - but Coroplast is actually the name of a company that produces a version of it.

There are several other brand names, as well - Cartonplast, Polyflute, Fluteplast, Proplex, Twinplast, Correx, and others.

So, while your trailer probably has a fluted polypropylene sheet underbelly, it may or may not be Coroplast, and it is definitely not chloroplast.

It's kind of akin to calling a Pepsi a Coke because they are both cola products.

(source - a career working in an industry that makes heavy use of these products. Possibly even making the very political signs you are talking about)
I understand your point. But while saying "soda" in place of "Coke" or "Pepsi" is pretty easy - I'm pretty sure none of us are going to change from saying "Coroplast underbelly" to saying "fluted (or corrugated) polypropylene sheeting underbelly."

Now "Chloroplast" - yeah, those guys are just wrong. I've corrected a couple - you're welcome.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #9

Guess auto correct was wrong when I wrote this. But that’s ok because so we’re the politicians that were trying to get elected on the ones I got. I am sure you are more knowledgeable than I am on the spelling and subject. My specialty is chillers and boilers which I have been doing since I got out of the army in 1981. I just didn’t want to sound dumb by saying cardboard made out of plastic. The signs really do work good for patches though on the under belly.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post

Same exact thing happens when we start talking about Surge Protectors and EMS Units
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #11

Rwhit.....how are you fastening the plastic to the underside of the trailer ?

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I understand your point. But while saying "soda" in place of "Coke" or "Pepsi" is pretty easy - I'm pretty sure none of us are going to change from saying "Coroplast underbelly" to saying "fluted (or corrugated) polypropylene sheeting underbelly."

Now "Chloroplast" - yeah, those guys are just wrong. I've corrected a couple - you're welcome.
Thanks! I am totally cool with using Coroplast as the generic name, though it irritates my suppliers of other brands... We usually just say "coro" and everyone knows what we are talking about.

It was the "chloroplast" part that was making my eye twitch.

And again, it wasn't an attempt to belittle anyone. There's really no reason for anyone outside of a few very specific industries to know the brand names of these virtually identical products. But I am pretty sure that if you were to call a plastics supplier and ask where to buy some "chloroplast", whoever answers the phone is going to have to put you on hold for a minute until he can stop laughing. So I was trying to be helpful, in some small way.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

Well, if anyone living in SE Michigan needs a section of fluted (or corrugated) polypropylene sheeting, I have a big sheet of it. My underbelly pulled free on a trip a while back. FR put new stuff on at the international rally. I still have the original intact sheet. It does have holes where it was attached to the RV.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #14

I use self tapping screws with fender washers on them after putting black gasket sealer around the edges with also helps seal it. Glad we are on the same page just using different words
Old 03-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit View Post
One of them had a picture of the candidate and I considered putting a hole where the mouth is and mounting it on the black water drain ����
I see your esteem for TX politicians matches that which I have for NJ politicians.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
For many that could be the only "truth" flowing from that orifice.

Around here the 4 x 8 signs are posted along frontage roads where they're visible from the freeway.

As for using them to repair underbelly? Not sure I'd want to rely in something left behind by a "loser"

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Guess auto correct was wrong when I wrote this. But thatís ok because so weíre the politicians that were trying to get elected on the ones I got. I am sure you are more knowledgeable than I am on the spelling and subject. My specialty is chillers and boilers which I have been doing since I got out of the army in 1981. I just didnít want to sound dumb by saying cardboard made out of plastic. The signs really do work good for patches though on the under belly.

Hey, some people just call it "that plastic crap that covers the bottom of my trailer".

We all know what it means

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #19

2X on that NJ political comment...
Old 03-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #20
D W

Quote:
Guess auto correct was wrong when I wrote this. But thatís ok because so weíre the politicians that were trying to get elected on the ones I got. I am sure you are more knowledgeable than I am on the spelling and subject. My specialty is chillers and boilers which I have been doing since I got out of the army in 1981. I just didnít want to sound dumb by saying cardboard made out of plastic. The signs really do work good for patches though on the under belly.
Don't fret it. Any of us that have been around for six or four days knew what you were talking about. Thanks for the idea!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair