Old 01-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfretz View Post
That's why I always create a bill of sale that includes the verbiage "AS IS" and make whomever buys sign it. Problem solved!
"AS IS" is one thing, but knowingly creating a hazardous condition where someone gets injured can lead you to be held civilly liable, and in some states criminally liable. "Full Disclosure" is always the best practice.

Our society these days is too litigious to attempt an "As Is" in an artful concealment of a defect.

Just sayin'.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us View Post
I am thinking of using one of the 12v compressors that off roaders use (Jeeps, trucks, etc) for airing down and up. That way it isnít dependent on 120v. Right now I have a Ryobi one that uses a drill battery.
I switched to a 12v Viair compressor. They're expensive and especially the 450 as it's 100% duty cycle. But I love this thing:
https://learntorv.com/product-review...ir-compressor/
Old 01-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I switched to a 12v Viair compressor. They're expensive and especially the 450 as it's 100% duty cycle. But I love this thing:
https://learntorv.com/product-review...ir-compressor/
I am thinking about the 88p. This would be infrequent use...
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #24

This is a serious question, not trying to start, or increase the bickering. Does NEC, or another "Code" actually apply to trailers (and RV's, motor-homes...). Every so often I see comments pop up like on this thread. Must use (or maybe not) GFCI outlets because of code. No steps over 8",.....

When I peek around my trailer I find wires all bundled an mixed up. 120V lines wrapped around 12V lines, alongside cable/coax, with hot/cold water lines twisted in, heating ducts,..... None of this is secured to the floor/shelf/ceiling they are laying on. The holes in the walls everything passes through almost look as if someone just kicked it out.

If you did this is your STATIONARY house I'm pretty sure the electrical inspector would just smack you, put a big red sticker on your forehead and leave mumbling some adult language. But this is all OK in a MOVING trailer.

I've never heard of a dealer pulling an electrical or plumbing permit to work on a trailer. So yeah, thanks for making sure I have GFCI outlets (all on 1 circuit so it always trips), a smoke detector to tell me that I should have already been well out the door, etc...

Really just curious to what level any of this is suppose to actually matter. Maybe just the permanently parked double wides in the trailer developments.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #25

All RV are in fact wired (for the most part) to the NEC. Look for a sticker near your door for a label to that effect. The problem is there are NO INSPECTIONS!

The GFI requirements are the same as in residential house building. 30 amp 120 and 50 amp 240 services are wired per code.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
All RV are in fact wired (for the most part) to the NEC. Look for a sticker near your door for a label to that effect. The problem is there are NO INSPECTIONS!

The GFI requirements are the same as in residential house building. 30 amp 120 and 50 amp 240 services are wired per code.
I see that they do indeed use the proper size (14, 12, 10,.. ) wire for the load. But like I said romex (NM-B) laying on the floor, basically exposed, wrapped up with water, heating, propane, etc certainly can't be "to code".

So they do the bare visible minimum to put a sticker on the wall and call it a day? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have to get things inspected every time I make a mod. I'm just not sure I believe trailers are held to these standards.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I see that they do indeed use the proper size (14, 12, 10,.. ) wire for the load. But like I said romex (NM-B) laying on the floor, basically exposed, wrapped up with water, heating, propane, etc certainly can't be "to code".

So they do the bare visible minimum to put a sticker on the wall and call it a day? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have to get things inspected every time I make a mod. I'm just not sure I believe trailers are held to these standards.

Jim M.
Yep that's basically it. They pick and choose what parts of the code to use. Obvious no cable support systems. Outlet locations, breaker sized to wire size are to code. no inspections.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #28

I am lucky my unit has a plug in place all near the command center, plug is on opposite side so a 20ft cord made it all perfect. You can never have too many outlets !
Stormvet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:28 PM   #29
Smittty

I also switched to the Viair 400 p RV. It works so much better than some of the pancake compressors pictured by others.
Smittty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittty View Post
I also switched to the Viair 400 p RV. It works so much better than some of the pancake compressors pictured by others.
I bought a Smittybilt 2781 and added a pressure switch.
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat