Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
We use the King Quest automatic antenna with DirecTV and have no problems with it. It can be attached to our roof or ground level, whichever works at the time and location.
The King Quest was about $450 and the receiver box was $50 and $7 a month whether it is used at home, on the boat or on the road.
The main advantage to our set up is we have a stationary dish at home [free] and the King Quest with the RV or boat and one receiver that we use where ever we are. Buying a $1,700 stationary/attached/dedicated antenna just didn't make sense for OUR use.
Maybe I'm going blind, but when I compare SD and HD side by side, I just don't see the big difference, especially a $1,000+ difference. JMHO
Oh my. The St. Louis Cardinals are much too important to be playing on MY tv in SD!! LOL

And it doesn't cost me $1,000 to get HD!!! I get it fine AFTER I got the right dish, right meter, and right tripod, right phone app, and learned how to use them.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #22

Anyone that quotes Lewis Grizzard can't be too bad
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #23

And anyone that lives that close to my son and grandson has to be pretty cool too! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
This is getting crazy. Donniedu is talking about a "dish" type of antenna as mentioned in his post. Part number.Winegard travler SK-SWM.

I supplied my unit part number VQ4100 dome type antenna. Had anyone bothered to look it up (ie done some homework) they would have realized that. My error was not mentioning that it was a King Quest VQ4100.

This discussion is apples and oranges. The dome antenna is portable, set it up facing the south and it finds the signal. Yes it's Std. Definition but for $350.00 installed, I can live with it. $1400.00 just for the "dish" is just a bit steep to watch a ballgame. Should an HD picture be required...... find a sports bar.

Jim
Well, I'll tell you what.

I did look up your unit. And I did read the original post. He asked for opinions and help and information in how to set up a DirecTV dish. That is pretty open and led to a lot of responses. None of which were a problem.

And I don't want to find a sports bar. First, there aren't any where I camp most of the time. Second, I want what I want in MY trailer and I get HD via using DirecTV just fine, and have said so several times in this thread. If you want a sports bar, go find one. If you want to watch SD, watch SD. I never tried to tell you or anyone what to watch.

When you fall off that high horse, I hope it doesn't hurt much.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #25

Directv options

Sorry I upset your your sensitive disposition. I was just trying to help Tom with a RECOMMENDATION. Of course he can purchase what he wishes. It was just meant to be an alternative, and somewhat inexpensive.

The main part I noted was where he asked for "advise/options".. perhaps you missed that part. I tried to provide an alternative which would fall in the "options" category.

By the way, I sold the horse. Don't fall off yours!
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #26

I would debate each of your points, because that's not all that you did. But I'll let you think on it.

Hope the OP gets what he wants. It is daunting to get tv when you start out.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #27

Directv

I fought with trying to align the big Directv dish on a tripod. The happiest day of my life was buying a Winegard self pointing dish and mounting it on my rear ladder. This antenna can be configured for Directv or Dish the other one. If you have the bucks mount a permanent Diretv sytem on the roof and call it a day. Unfortunately I had to use the Standard Definition lower cost option but hey , " we camp" we can rough it for a few weeks a year. 😎
wshelton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
My ground-based oval antenna for DIRECTV HD cost $59.97 from eBay (free shipping). Pic in post #12 above.
I made my base out of ~$12 worth of PVC and bolts/nuts on a 2x12 piece of wood scrap.

Works like a charm.
With this set up. Where do you place level? We have this set up but on tripod and its getting on our last nerve. Willing to try this on the ground. Would be easier to level with stick under it. But where would you put level. On board or on the gray pole?
rsmobley85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #29
Site Team

The gray pole came in the antenna kit with a round bubble level mounted flat in its top. Based on the slope of the ground, I turn the entire rig until it's level left to right; then I loosen the bolts in the adjustment slots at the bottom of the gray pole and level front to back. Without the bubble level in the top of the gray pole, it would be tough.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #30

I have set up a lot of DirecTV dishes over the years. What really blew me away was when I put my crank up Winegard dish on my coach this fall. The elevation sensor gives me a readout to the nearest degree. Look it up in for elevation and azimuth, crank it up to the elevation number. Rotate to around the the azimuth, adjust the elevation after rotate for coach levelling errors and generally I get the signal without even going to the satellite setup signal meter. Getting the elevation makes it a one dimensional problem. Turn a little and you have it, generally in seconds!

The message here is rotate to the around the right azimuth and get really close to the right elevation. Then it is one dimensional and there is a signal somewhere as you rotate it to bring it in. Much faster that way!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #31

Direct TV portable Dish

I threw in the towel on Satellite TV. After years of struggling with finding the signal I cancelled DirecTV and subscribed to DirecTV Now. It comes in over WiFi and Cell Signal. It is a new streaming service, has had its own issues, but I am now cable and dish free. No dish, no cable, no receiver. At the same time there is no recorder, so no pause feature. I watch with my IPad, AppleTV or iPhone. There are many options for viewing. Just sayin.....Nothing to do, no setup, just turn on TV and login to the DirecTV Now app. Stress Free TV
Checkeredcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkeredcat View Post
I threw in the towel on Satellite TV. After years of struggling with finding the signal I cancelled DirecTV and subscribed to DirecTV Now. It comes in over WiFi and Cell Signal. It is a new streaming service, has had its own issues, but I am now cable and dish free. It is not the same, but it fits my style perfectly. No dish, no cable, no receiver. At the same time there is no recorder, so no pause feature. I watch with my IPad, AppleTV or iPhone. There are many options for viewing. Just sayin.....
No need for me to have any of it. Straight TV for me and free. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
No need for me to have any of it. Straight TV for me and free. Later RJD

I like Free too, but no 'Over The Air' service where we camp on the beach.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #34
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

I'm switching to DirecTV now. Been using it at home for a week and been happy. Going to suspend my satellite service next bill cycle.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post
I'm switching to DirecTV now. Been using it at home for a week and been happy. Going to suspend my satellite service next bill cycle.

I made the switch at the end of November. They have had their share of 'growing pains' but things have settled down now. I hated the cost of Directv and struggled setting up the satellite dish at campgrounds. I really liked the service they offered, but not at the price I was paying. I now have unlimited Verizon and DirecTv Now, so I hope I am in good shape. I think you made a good decision.....
Old 02-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #36

I too was "spoiled" by HD Tv, so when it came to Tv in the RV I just took 2 receivers from the house, a Slimline HD dish from eBay, & tripod from CW (pic 1).

Setting this up does have its' challenges because it's all done manually. Easier if you get the tripod level using the bubble level in the top of the tube. Then it's a matter of aiming in the right direction and getting the correct elevation. DishPointer Pro App, & a signal meter/toner will help a lot.

Storage of the large dish can be an issue also so I modified the LNB arm with a "hinge" from a company called TV4RV's. Came with all hardware & instructions (pic 2&3).

I got a good deal from a friend of mine who was replacing his rooftop Travl'er. But, until I get is mounted on the roof it is "portable" for now (I just don't use it if camping in a "questionable" area.) (pic 4).

And BTW, an HD receiver CAN be used with the portable SD domes on the market as long as the receiver is capable of changes in the menu to select the specific type of dish/dome it's connected to. The instructions that come with the portable dish/dome will let you know which menu setting to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00090-20101030-1604.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	130913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160304_165131.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	130914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160306_134819.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	130915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160917_112018.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	130916  
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #37

I called Winegard and asked why I couldn't use a Travl'R setup as a "portable" and they said a) it's impossible and b) It voids the warranty. I asked why and they couldn't/wouldn't answer.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I called Winegard and asked why I couldn't use a Travl'R setup as a "portable" and they said a) it's impossible and b) It voids the warranty. I asked why and they couldn't/wouldn't answer.

I never thought about a warranty.....don't even know how long they "guarantee" it. Since I'm the second owner (no original receipt & not on original MH), I'm probably out of luck anyway.

And BandJCarm, a) I have set it up as "portable" but, they are heavy and need a stable base (the one in the above pic was my first attempt with what I had handy). A nice sturdy box is probably in the future and b) Probably voids the warranty because it's not being used as it was intended/designed to be mounted.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote