Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #1

Direct tv satellite hook up

We just recently purchased our 2nd Forest River 5 th wheel. It is a 2013 and we are having trouble receiving a signal from our outside direct tv dish to our receiver through our outside connection.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance and look forward to enjoying the Forums

Julian in grants pass oregon
Bubbaingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Please let us know what kind of RV you have (it's best to just put that information into your profile).

Perhaps the cable-in wire and Sat-in wire are reversed somewhere, or the Sat cable isn't connected to the fittings on both ends or ....
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Congrats on your 2013 Forest River 5th wheel... As per our experience with our DirecTv satellite dish in our Forest River Forester, we needed to make sure that every TV that we wanted to use DirecTv needed to be wired for DirecTv. We had Camping World install our DirecTv wiring on our Forester & had a DirecTv Technician complete the job. Our DirecTv satellite dish works like a charm.

PS--- something to think about; if you have HD TVs in your 5th wheel, you need an HD satellite dish.
danyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyliz View Post
PS--- something to think about; if you have HD TVs in your 5th wheel, you need an HD satellite dish.
Only if you are determined to get HD programming. I had 4 HD TV's in the last coach and had a standard def satellite dish. It worked great. Same in my new FR rig. # HD TV's, standard def receiver.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbaingp View Post
We just recently purchased our 2nd Forest River 5 th wheel. It is a 2013 and we are having trouble receiving a signal from our outside direct tv dish to our receiver through our outside connection.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance and look forward to enjoying the Forums

Julian in grants pass oregon
I just got a Dish tailgater. Works fine if I bring the cable in trru a window but will not work if I bring it in thru the outside port on the trailer. The internal cable has continuity (checked with ohms
meter). Et Anyone run into internal cabling q to
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #6

are you following the set up procedure? did you flip the little buttons/switches inside the dish? did you set up the recvr box to get the dish to find the satellites?
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post

I just got a Dish tailgater. Works fine if I bring the cable in trru a window but will not work if I bring it in thru the outside port on the trailer. The internal cable has continuity (checked with ohms
Well, you are kind of hijacking this thread and should probably start a new one. Note that this one is about DirectTV. But since the OP never came back after his first post...

Just what did you check with the ohm
meter? Do you separately check that the center wire had continuity from inside to outside, and similarly for the shield wire in the coax? Did you verify that there was no short between the two?

The most common cause of this problem is that you are using a different coax inside than you have outside. Does your RV have both a "Cable-TV" coax input and a "Sat" coax input on the outside? How many TV outlets are there inside?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #8

Please also tell us what RV you have and whether you are the original owner or bought it used. (You should put the RV info in you Profile.)
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #9

Had the same problem with brand new camper, to fix I had to put new ends on campers coax cable. From factory they didn't leave enough foil when installing ends. Satellites are finicky, I could hook up park cable and it would work, but not satelite until I replaced ends. Hope this helps
Marshmstr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Thanks Barry

Not sure if this will go or not. I'm new at this. System works fine as long as I run the cable directly from the dish to the receiver. Dish says the cable in the RV needs to be. RG6. I plan to contact FR to see if the installed cable is something else. PS. Yes continuity of both the center wire and the shield wire is solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKyle View Post
are you following the set up procedure? did you flip the little buttons/switches inside the dish? did you set up the recvr box to get the dish to find the satellites?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

It's probably got either RG-59 or RG-6 stamped on it. You can tell the difference just by looking at the diameter (in other words, does it look the same as the wire you ran thru the window?).

Furthermore, for short runs, RG-59 will be ok. That's not it I don't think.

If you are not the original owner, someone might have installed DirectTV splitters in the line which won't work with Dish. That's my only guess given the continuity checks you've done.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #12

Actually, I still need to know if there are both Cable and Sat wires on the outside. You might be using a Cable wire which would meet your continuity tests but is still connected to other electronics on the antennae amplifier control. Are you really working with two ends of a coax wire, or are you testing a coax jack on a wallplate?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
If your external cable hookup goes thru a splitter anywhere you need to find it and install the correct splitter that will pass dc voltage to the dish. I use DirecTV and have had to to do this in 2 different coaches..
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
If your external cable hookup goes thru a splitter anywhere you need to find it and install the correct splitter that will pass dc voltage to the dish. I use DirecTV and have had to to do this in 2 different coaches..

Thanks. I'll look into the splitter thing. Just have to find it
Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Note that if he's got splitters, they already pass DC since his continuity tests work. And just FYI, while I understand that what you said works for Direct, it does not work for Dish. No splitters allowed.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #16

Dish satelite cabling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Please let us know what kind of RV you have (it's best to just put that information into your profile).

Perhaps the cable-in wire and Sat-in wire are reversed somewhere, or the Sat cable isn't connected to the fittings on both ends or ....

Barry. Not sure if this is the right place to enter this but want to say thanks. This is. Lyme. Yesterday you gave me some tips to try so I could use my outside input connector. You mentioned looking for a "splitter". I did find I had a Wineguard entry terminal where the cable comes in. - where the green light is etc. I disconnected it completely just connected the input cable to the dish receiver and voila - everything works. Thanks again. Lyme
Old 05-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #17

Great! I believe it was awwall that mentioned the splitter. As I suspected, you don't really have a Sat input on your RV, only a Cable input. Short of running a new coax, you've done about the only thing you can do which is to re-purpose the coax you've got. Happy Camping!

Tags
satellite