Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

DISH NETWORK or DIRECT TV.

We are looking at going to one of the two, but don't know what dish to buy...the one that works for the chosen network or one that is able to work with both. The cost seems a bit high for the combo one but could be worth it...we just don't know. Any suggestions?
CardinalQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dish network and the tailgater.
It doesn't get any easier.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
As bad as I hate to agree with FT Turbs, I do.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
X3

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivnut

Direct tv

Direct TV and the FLEX portable antenna, get a signal anywhere and only need to get one satellite not two like the other brand.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

We have a dome dish that does either so we can change from Dish to Direct without buying another dish. No problems with either. Just switch to get cheaper rates when we want to.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

We have had great luck with Direct and the first gen Carry out. Just set it down, plug it in, wait a few min and watch TV. We dropped Dish because they were always dropping our favorite channels.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"

X2. So easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

Dish w/Winegard Pathway X2 run 2 receivers
Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Hi Dish Tailgater easy to set up. All you need is one coax cable to power the tailgater and get the signal from the tailgater. I use a Vip211k receiver for the trailer this unit is SD and HD capable. I have the Dish Hopper at home and can watch all the home channels I subscribe to on the Vip211k receiver. I have also added a 2 gigabit Western Digital desktop hard drive to the Vip211k receiver for a one time fee of $40. to make this a DVR receiver. The good thing about this setup is that you don't have to pay for a DVR rental ever. The set up is easy and is displayed step by step on the television each time you set the system up in a new location. The big thing is you need a clear sky to the south (no trees) or a hole through the trees to the south.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #11

Don't know if it's still true, but in 2012 Direct covered almost the whole US with one satellite. Dish used two different sats depending on which channel you were watching. The Direct system could supply two TV's watching different channels, while the Dish system could only support two TV's if the channels being watched were on the same satellite. If you've only got one TV, this is not a consideration.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #12

my two cents...

I have DirecTV at home and have had for years. I purchased a new Slimline dish on ebay for $65 delivered, and a tripod to hold it from TV4RV.com for about $200. I left the home dish mounted to the side of my house, pulled my home receiver, took it on the road and used it last winter in FL at 6 different campsites. Took me about 3 hours the first time to set it up from scratch. Second time about 30 minutes then no more than 15 minutes the last 4 times as I got used to the whole setup procedure. I like having the ability to be in control of the setup process, instead of hoping that the "automatic" tailgator dish does it's job. The slimline is the standard oval dish, but I want the HD I pay for. You can purchase the smaller round dish for SD programming only and the setup process is even easier since you do not have to setup the TILT of the oval dish.

I have read too many horror stories on Amazon reviews about the Tailgator failings and horrible DISH tech support. When that thing decides not to work, you are pretty much out the $450+ you paid for it as nobody repairs them, at least that is what I have read.

I bought the Dish Pointer APP for $10 for my iphone and that always SHOWS you on the iphone screen where the sats are located, so you can find that hole in the trees where you can setup your dish to "see" the sat.

The people at TV4RV DOT COM are great to work with if you have any questions about their products. The HD tripod bundle they sell is the BEST way to make manually pointing your dish EASY. They give you everything you need in one package. The tripod is light, yet very sturdy. I leave the dish assembled when moving around, but take off the dish arm when packing for long travel. Very easy to mount the dish to the tripod... takes about a minute.

I was worried about getting an expensive sat signal peaking meter to get the dish correctly aimed before I tried it out. Glad that I did NOT waste my money because using the tripod with the Slimline dish is really easy to setup for a great picture once you get used to it. Like I said it took me two times to get used to using it... now I am looking forward to taking it out again.

hope this helps your decision...
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #13

We have the original Winegard Carryout and DISH. We use the Eastern Arc setup and most of the HD channels are on one satellite. The Carryout lets you change over to Direct or Bell. DISH lets you suspend service when you're home.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #14

I have pathway x2 with dish network. I like it cause it finds the eastern or western arc. Sometime I might be in a spot where it can't see one arc so I just scan the other and I am good to go. Gives me two options. Plus I can get HD with dish and the pathway!

Lsutiger.
LSUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
Senior Member - Retired

We have a DirecTV Genie system installed in our Georgetown XL. We have the Winegard Slimline antenna with automated satellite detection and lock-in. DVR is in a cabinet behind the bedroom TV and a small Genie slave unit is attached to the back of the living room and outside entertainment TV's. the Genie remotes work through wood cabinet doors so I did not have to install the system where it could be seen. We can watch/record five different shows in HD at the same time. When the XL is parked at home, I connect the Genie system wirelessly to our in-home system so the two systems can share recorded content. So far the setup has been problem free.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #16

When I was looking, 2011, if you wanted HD the DirecTV was expensive. I was sad because we have had DirecTV at home for twenty years. We went with Dish for the HD and it was only $199 for the Tailgater, receiver and cable. I got it from a dealer in Jacksonville, FL, two day FedEx. Because I am in Texas there was no sales tax so I saved about $17. It is easy to use and the setup is easy. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
When I was looking, 2011, if you wanted HD the DirecTV was expensive. I was sad because we have had DirecTV at home for twenty years. We went with Dish for the HD and it was only $199 for the Tailgater, receiver and cable. I got it from a dealer in Jacksonville, FL, two day FedEx. Because I am in Texas there was no sales tax so I saved about $17. It is easy to use and the setup is easy. Good Luck
Did you switch service @ home?

since I have dish @ home it only costs me $7.00 a mo. To authorize my camper receiver for tailgater.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
my two cents...

I have DirecTV at home and have had for years. I purchased a new Slimline dish on ebay for $65 delivered, and a tripod to hold it from TV4RV.com for about $200. I left the home dish mounted to the side of my house, pulled my home receiver, took it on the road and used it last winter in FL at 6 different campsites. Took me about 3 hours the first time to set it up from scratch. Second time about 30 minutes then no more than 15 minutes the last 4 times as I got used to the whole setup procedure. I like having the ability to be in control of the setup process, instead of hoping that the "automatic" tailgator dish does it's job. The slimline is the standard oval dish, but I want the HD I pay for. You can purchase the smaller round dish for SD programming only and the setup process is even easier since you do not have to setup the TILT of the oval dish.

I have read too many horror stories on Amazon reviews about the Tailgator failings and horrible DISH tech support. When that thing decides not to work, you are pretty much out the $450+ you paid for it as nobody repairs them, at least that is what I have read.

I bought the Dish Pointer APP for $10 for my iphone and that always SHOWS you on the iphone screen where the sats are located, so you can find that hole in the trees where you can setup your dish to "see" the sat.

The people at TV4RV DOT COM are great to work with if you have any questions about their products. The HD tripod bundle they sell is the BEST way to make manually pointing your dish EASY. They give you everything you need in one package. The tripod is light, yet very sturdy. I leave the dish assembled when moving around, but take off the dish arm when packing for long travel. Very easy to mount the dish to the tripod... takes about a minute.

I was worried about getting an expensive sat signal peaking meter to get the dish correctly aimed before I tried it out. Glad that I did NOT waste my money because using the tripod with the Slimline dish is really easy to setup for a great picture once you get used to it. Like I said it took me two times to get used to using it... now I am looking forward to taking it out again.

hope this helps your decision...
This is mostly my story. I have DIRECTV at home... bring the main Genie from the house plus one mini-Genie. Watch different programs simultaneously on the 2 TVs. I paid $59.97 for a slimline HD antenna... spent about $11 for PVC and bolts/nuts and made my own base. Can set up in 10 minutes or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	569.1 KB
ID:	74826  

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Let's make that a X4
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #20
Team Bleu

I have Dish HD, two receivers. One problem I have is I travel so much to dog shows, it pisses me off overtime I get to a location I have to call, stay on the phone with about 15 min. so they can get my location in. The other big thing that pisses us off I bought all my equipment and they still charge me for my 2nd receiver.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote