Old 03-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #101

Babcock one thing you keep forgetting is the transmission. That is what is directly connected to the drive wheels, then the engine. By downshifting to a lower gear before the descent you can still use ALL of the advantages of ABS by using gentle brake pressure with the slower turning wheels. That being said, most modern vehicles today have some kind of traction control (pick the name from different mfg's) that will let you know if your wheels are losing traction with the surface well before you feel it in your seat.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Babcock one thing you keep forgetting is the transmission. That is what is directly connected to the drive wheels, then the engine. By downshifting to a lower gear before the descent you can still use ALL of the advantages of ABS by using gentle brake pressure with the slower turning wheels. That being said, most modern vehicles today have some kind of traction control (pick the name from different mfg's) that will let you know if your wheels are losing traction with the surface well before you feel it in your seat.
The traction control typically is controlling the traction while accelerating...not braking. It uses the information from the wheel sensors and yaw sensors for this.

Let me ask a question for you. Do you think there is ever a chance that going down a steep hill using just the torque of the engine to slow you down that a wheel has a chance to slip?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #103

I guess the short answer is yes in the right circumstances, especially if momentum is already building and downshifting is used to try to break the speed building momentum. I've experienced this effect myself when I've downshift before a stop in icy conditions, but it is brief, and then the wheels turn and it is not something I normally practice. I'm totally aware of this happening and the fact that my ABS will keep the wheels turning and maintain steering.

However, there was a time I had a minivan full of young hockey players going to a tournament around this time of year in Rochester, NY. A sudden snowstorm cropped up un-predicted. Because of that, I took a route to the hockey rink that included Turk Hill which is a steep (don't know the degree of) half-mile or more decline. When we approached the hill, there was a line of stopped cars. I figured there had to be a bad wreck on the hill. Nope. What these very prudent drivers were doing is waiting in line as one car at a time descended the hill. As my turn came up my heart sunk, trying to hide it from the kids when I looked down the hill to a solid sheet of ice. I put my minivan in first gear, held my breath and proceeded down the hill safely and straight without fear of going off the road.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I guess the short answer is yes in the right circumstances, especially if momentum is already building and downshifting is used to try to break the speed building momentum.
And there you go! That's the reason you don't want to be in too low of a gear. You want your ABS brakes to be the ones in control since there is NO control when you downshift.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #105

The message buried in this thread is just get a set of chains to fit both Tow Vehicle AND Trailer and keep them in the vehicle(s).

Don't need them? Great, but when you do you'll pat yourself on the back for being so smart.

Unless you can guarantee that you'll NEVER be driving through mountains and get caught in a sudden snow storm perhaps you won't want to bother. Think of them just like you do in regards to Spare Tires, Jacks, Lug Wrenches, and other roadside emergency items.

What's that universal statement? "Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Unless one has a Semi that requires 3-Rail chains most Tow Vehicle and Trailer chains combined will run less than $200. Cheaper than a tow bill or accident.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #106

Totally agree. Always carry chains between November and may when we go into the mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The message buried in this thread is just get a set of chains to fit both Tow Vehicle AND Trailer and keep them in the vehicle(s).

Don't need them? Great, but when you do you'll pat yourself on the back for being so smart.

Unless you can guarantee that you'll NEVER be driving through mountains and get caught in a sudden snow storm perhaps you won't want to bother. Think of them just like you do in regards to Spare Tires, Jacks, Lug Wrenches, and other roadside emergency items.

What's that universal statement? "Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Unless one has a Semi that requires 3-Rail chains most Tow Vehicle and Trailer chains combined will run less than $200. Cheaper than a tow bill or accident.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #107

Too funny

I don’t mean to make light of this post but the part where you described how you and your wife felt coming down the mountain had me in tears! Great to have a good laugh and learn something very important at the same time. Thanks for sharing your story
Mikeyt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt56 View Post
I don’t mean to make light of this post but the part where you described how you and your wife felt coming down the mountain had me in tears! Great to have a good laugh and learn something very important at the same time. Thanks for sharing your story
You are welcome. Glad you appreciated it along with most readers here.
The story was meant to be informative and a bit humorous at the same time. I just read your post to Cindy and it made us LOL reenacting our Lamaze Breathing technique.
But for real, lesson learned. We would never chose the decision to go down that mountain knowing what we know now! We would gladly wait it out in the Walmart parking lot for a day or two until the weather clears!
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Totally agree. Always carry chains between November and may when we go into the mountains
Mine just stay behind the back seat of the truck year around. A lesson learned years ago when pulling a trailer across the Cascades and got caught in a JUNE snowstorm.

Mother Nature doesn't fees she has to look at the calendar

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Mine just stay behind the back seat of the truck year around. A lesson learned years ago when pulling a trailer across the Cascades and got caught in a JUNE snowstorm.

Mother Nature doesn't fees she has to look at the calendar
I pulled my boat up to Tahoe this last May and while we there, we had a pretty good snow storm. May 1 is typically the cutoff for mandatory carrying of chains in your vehicle.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #111

What's best set of chains to get for TV & TT?

OP don't mean to hijack thread but being a number have recommended chains thought this question would fit in here. If it should be in a separate thread maybe the site team could accommodate that. Thanks

Just wondering. I don't have a set of chains, but am thinking that I need to after reading this thread. I googled best chains out there, but you know how that can be. So I thought maybe those of you that have chains would comment on:
What did you buy?
How easy are they put on and take off?
What style - straight/diamond/other?
Would you buy the same thing again?
Did you get a set for your TT or 5th?
Have you had to use them and if so how did they work out?
What other things should I be aware of?

Just would like to see what majority have bought and why.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #112

If you want to go with cables, I always buy these types for my vehicles.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZFDPU...-20&th=1&psc=1

Some people prefer the actual ones that are made of chain links but cables are more forgiving. You will get a lot more damage to your vehicle if a chain link breaks. I had one break on me on a pickup but thankfully, I was going very slow when it happened and I was able to tie it off. Those were the last chain link ones I bought.

However, the bottom line is, if you need chains, you shouldn't be towing your trailer in the first place let alone down a mountain. They are there though in case you somehow drive yourself into a bad situation.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #113

Quote:
If you want to go with cables, I always buy these types for my vehicles.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZFDPU...-20&th=1&psc=1

Some people prefer the actual ones that are made of chain links but cables are more forgiving. You will get a lot more damage to your vehicle if a chain link breaks. I had one break on me on a pickup but thankfully, I was going very slow when it happened and I was able to tie it off. Those were the last chain link ones I bought.

However, the bottom line is, if you need chains, you shouldn't be towing your trailer in the first place let alone down a mountain. They are there thoTugh in case you somehow drive yourself into a bad situation.
That is one of the chain types i was looking at getting for my pickup and maybe a set for the 5th (as recommended in this thread).

I agree with you, if you need them you shouldn't be towing. I don't plan on towing in such conditions, but it does happen. Back several years ago (not with my current TV/5th vehicles), a freak snowstorm hit southern Illinois while I was down there camping. 12-13 inches of snow overnight. 80-90 miles north no snow at all. 20-25 mph for that distance, but no large grades like out west. Looking to be prepared when head west sometime in summer months to mountains.

Thanks for the info.

Demco AutoSlide 18k
Old 03-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
That is one of the chain types i was looking at getting for my pickup and maybe a set for the 5th (as recommended in this thread).

I agree with you, if you need them you shouldn't be towing. I don't plan on towing in such conditions, but it does happen. Back several years ago (not with my current TV/5th vehicles), a freak snowstorm hit southern Illinois while I was down there camping. 12-13 inches of snow overnight. 80-90 miles north no snow at all. 20-25 mph for that distance, but no large grades like out west. Looking to be prepared when head west sometime in summer months to mountains.

Thanks for the info.
If you look at the reviews there a few 1* reviews so quality may have changed. However, if you look at some of them, there are lot of people that never used chains before and had installer put them on for them. Who knows if they were even the correct size.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #115

Quote:
If you look at the reviews there a few 1* reviews so quality may have changed. However, if you look at some of them, there are lot of people that never used chains before and had installer put them on for them. Who knows if they were even the correct size.
Agree. I know the sizes of both TV & 5th tire sizes. If I remember right Security Chain had a lengthy chart of tire sizes.

Did you get chains for your Coachman?

Demco AutoSlide 18k
Old 03-31-2020, 05:59 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Agree. I know the sizes of both TV & 5th tire sizes. If I remember right Security Chain had a lengthy chart of tire sizes.

Did you get chains for your Coachman?
Nope. The only place I tow to that I would need them is the eastern Sierra and the latest we are there in the year is October. All of our camping that time of the year that I would need them is along the coast or in the low desert. The trailer I would possibly need them is for my boat trailer which I pull out of the water in October but I can wait until a good day to pull it down the hill. I would NEVER tow it if there was a chance of snow. Nice thing about being retired....no time schedule. I can wait out bad weather. As a pilot and an offshore boater, I know when to stay out of bad weather.

Tags
camper, mount, snow