Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
(Kim)

Does anyone use the hose to spray up into the black tank to rinse it out?
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #62
B47

We do - it sure sounds like it is churning things in the tank when listening to it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #63
(Kim)

LOL I have to laugh!
I am not a total Germaphobe, but more than the average person I can see!
When I was at the DS 2 weeks ago, somehow the water-hose twisted and it rubbed all over the side of my shirt...LOL....yes the main part of the hose where all the 'crappy hands' had touched; as soon as I was done I had to go into the TT and change my shirt.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #64
Drinkin beer on the beach

You guys make me chuckle.

When I'm dumping my tanks, I have to put down my burger or my beer to have a hand free... Usually its the burger, because if I accidently kick it, I can blow the dirt off and still eat it. If I kick over my beer, its gone...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #65

I have the. Flush black tank flush , it says to leave the black tank valve open ..
When hook up with water hose. How many have this , do you use it?
Does it work good ?
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
We are new and had to dump on one of our outings , read all the reports . Was ready , I thought . I did not have the hose turned solid to the trailer end ( thought. I did )

Pull the black tank , started through the hose , then came off , I quickly shut off the valve.

Installed again with a lil more oomph . No problems

On my hose I have from camping world , they have the connections on the end and will not go into my bumper ?
I have a heavy plastic bag I stow it in

Hose not fitting: I have a hose stowage installed below my bumper. I got a connection that will not fit so I took my Dreml and ground down the little ears on it that was keeping it from going into the tube. No problem after I did this. Something to remember is that urine is a major contributor to corrosion, storing in the bumper might result in problems down the road. Make sure the hose is cleaned out good....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #67
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I have the. Flush black tank flush , it says to leave the black tank valve open ..
Does it work good ?
I use it every time I empty the black tank and while the two grey water tanks are emptying. I run it until the discharge is clear and then close the valve and let it run about 45 sec. to a minute. Unhook the slinky hose and flush it with clear water.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #68
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
You guys make me chuckle.

When I'm dumping my tanks, I have to put down my burger or my beer to have a hand free... Usually its the burger, because if I accidently kick it, I can blow the dirt off and still eat it. If I kick over my beer, its gone...
Yeah - well we all have our own priorities in life!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Does it work good ?
I never leave my black water tank open.
You will not get any of the solid wasre out and actually may harden and you have a major problem.

Keep the valve closed and don't dump until you have it filled. That way when you open the valve it really gets a flush using the water pressure.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #70

Some of this sounds pretty gross. However, none of you have seen this happen or you have not mentioned it. Here goes.

Having a nice breakfast of ham and eggs I was watching the next door campers getting ready to leave their site. I like to watch others set up and take down their camps as I have learned a few good tricks this way. I digress. This is how he dumped his sewage tank. I will add he was in a BIG motor home, class A. First, he was in flip flops and shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. He opened a side door of his motor home where all the valves and levers and stuff are located. I was impressed, there was even a storage pipe for his drain hose. He had one of the old blue hoses, get the picture? He bends over and touches this valve then this one and jiggles the sewage hookup cap. Then he starts reading a form on the door panel. He keeps one finger on the panel so as not to loose his place, reaches over and pulls the discharge valve, reads panel and then closes the discharge valve. Throughly studies both ends of the sewer hose takes both ends over to the on-site discharge sewer cap. At this point I was entranced. I told the DW to quite what she was doing and come watch. With no TV all night we were dearly deprived of entertainment. He did figure out which end stuck into the sewer and pulled the other end to the motor home at the same time pulling the end out of the sewer. As he was taking the cap off his motor home he had a small flood over his hands and face and splashes on his legs and feet from previously pulling the valve. I was heading out the door to yell at him his sewer hose pulled out of the sewer. Another entertained camper beat me to it who was told to beat it as everything was under control. The DW and myself then settled back for some good entertainment. He connected his hose to the motor home and pulled the valve. It was then he noticed the hose had pulled out of the sewer. Rushing over he grabbed the flowing hose and jerked the hose into the sewer outlet, placed his foot on it to hold it in place and was listening intently. Remember he had an old blue hose? When he yanked on the hose, the connection at the motor home tore right in half. Only the wire in the hose was holding it in place. What did our fellow do? He rushed back to the motor home and attempted to stem the flow with his hands. The tank must have been full cause the flow just never seemed to stop. At last the flow ended, he disconnected the hose, put the cap on and pushed the valve closed. Now this guy is covered from top to bottom, his whole campsite is covered, he is slipping and sliding in all this stuff. The grande finale was yet to come. Seeing the mess he made, inside and outside his coach, he disconnected his fresh water line from the coach and started washing everything out. He stuck the end of his fresh water hose down the remnants of his sewer hose to flush it out. His unfortunate body was last to be rinsed. Then he closed everything up, put the sewer hose away, rolled up his fresh water hose and put it into a forward storage compartment. His DW, who was watching the whole escapade met him at the door with a towel. I was unabashedly staring at them through their windows. I didn't want to miss anything. He towelled himself dry, got behind the wheel and off into the sunrise they went to continue their incredible journey. I was preparing to go to the office and report a big sewage spill when their truck showed up for the clean up. Apparently I was not the only one learning how not to do anything concerning dumping sewage. Needless to say our breakfast ham went back into the fridge and the eggs into the garbage. Lunch was a no go, supper was a forced meal. The next day, it is the best story about camping I have ever seen and love to re-tell. I never get tired of passing this one along.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #71
(Kim)

LOL! That is a great story.
Wonder if that guy was even aware of the commotion he caused??
It makes me think about my own actions...... Do people watch me and think 'OMG WTH is she doing?' or do they think 'now THATS a good way to do it'

?????
Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #72
Another rat in the race

I've been a janitor, plummer, septic tank repair, auto repair, and a contractor. All of this has put dumping into perspective so here goes my procedure.

first no gloves its called soap what if I forget my gloves some time.

never stand directly in front or behind anything if you can help it.

I've had kids so poop from my family doesn't scare me

check valves are closed
stand to the side!
open cover (think oil drain plug turn pull quick)
hook up hose I also use king wash adapter
then hook up other end
then hook up water hose to king adapter
pull lever on black
fill black for 1 min 30 sec, yes I time it.
close black
drain gray
fill gray for 1 min 30 sec
close gray
open black
drain black
close black
open gray
drain gray
close gray
close up pick up and move for someone else

then take gallon and a half jug fill with about 10oz of Pine Sol and rest water (always keep some water in holding tank)
pour in black tank
then do the same for gray

wipe hands with diaper wipes then purell if no sink.

Whole process takes less than ten minutes

repeat at home if need be.

Diaper wipes, I don't know how we lived with out them before kids they'll take rust off a car bumper.

REMEMBER its pluming there is only four rules to pluming.
1. Crap flows down hill
2. Keep your fingers out of your mouth
3. Keep your mouth shut
4. Payday is on Friday.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
Oh my god, I'm grossed out reading about it! I'm an ER nurse, so it takes a lot to make me sick to my stomach. I would have flipped if it splashed anywhere on my body, let alone my face and mouth. Since we are buying our first TT, I'll have DH watching this thread for tips though since he will be the one doing it.

I'm a cop and have been in some Shi^^Y situations. I remember my father falling through the top of an old campsite undeerground tank. Sinking to his upper arms. My mom wouldn't let him anywhere near the vehicle or trailer. FOR about a week.

My wife a couple weeks ago while we were setting up for the first time this season following a single outing season due to issues with the trailer asked me if it was safe to open the cap before hooking up the drain line. I said it was safe and in the words made famous by the movie Gladiator "At my signal, unleash hell." she uncapped the line.

What I witnessed was a downpour of black tank liquid and for some reason she stuck both her hands together under the drain to try and catch it...
Realizing what she was doing and then what it was that she was trying to catch she yelled at me to make it stop. I was at the dump location.

I now have a sewer worker pair of gloves for Fathers day...
And we have adapted teh fire team method of communication when setting up the sewer line. I will hollar out "Loading" and she will hollar back "Covering"
Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #74
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I never leave my black water tank open.
You will not get any of the solid waste out and actually may harden and you have a major problem.

Keep the valve closed and don't dump until you have it filled. That way when you open the valve it really gets a flush using the water pressure.
Iggy,

This is a very dangerous way of using the TurboFlush.
You can bulge the tank from that pressure which can cause it to slip off the support rails or burst a seam.

When used as directed it will flush stuck on solids just fine with no danger to the tank.

There is a warning to that effect right under the hose port for the flusher.
Lou
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0508 (2).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	14855  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #75
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dangerous only if you roof vent is plugged or blocked.

I think the main reason may be if the roof vent stick down into tank 5 or 6 inches and the water gets that high when flushing.
Right?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #76

Wow. Having just bought a new camper I figured this would be a good thread to read. Especially since we are taking our first trip next week. I think I'm going to bring one of these from work for when it's time to dump the doo. Then again, I can't imagine it could be worse than being the stirrer for a 4-hole burnout.
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #77
Mod free 5er

I think Iggy was talking about not opening (dumping) the black tank until it was full. Not meaning have the flush going and the valve closed.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #78
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I think Iggy was talking about not opening (dumping) the black tank until it was full. Not meaning have the flush going and the valve closed.

Whoops, I think you are correct. I do owe Iggy an applogy.
I read the "quote" and the response under it.

The quote was asking if the valve had to be open to run the turboflush and Iggy's reply was he always keeps it closed. I did not read further.
My bad.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #79

We were camping at Bow Valley an hour west of Calgary, there was a young couple who rented a trailer that was set up next to us, The owners of the trailer did not empty the tanks when they rented it out , When they used the shower it started to back up. So the young fellow figured that he will empty the tank himself, and all he had was a small garbage can, which he filled and started walking down the road, asking where is the dump station, which it was 7 kms away, That look on that poor guy face was so sad, So i lend him my portable waste tank, i felt so sorry for him and his wife, But i have to admit it was funny to watch him carrying that garbage pail down the road.
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Kevin View Post
So the young fellow figured that he will empty the tank himself, and all he had was a small garbage can, which he filled and started walking down the road, asking where is the dump station, which it was 7 kms away, That look on that poor guy face was so sad, So i lend him my portable waste tank, i felt so sorry for him and his wife, But i have to admit it was funny to watch him carrying that garbage pail down the road.
Real lucky for him you were there and good of you to help

I think the guy willing to lend his Blue Boy can sometimes be the most popular guy in the CG.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad