Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(Kim)

Dump station tips, tricks and mishaps.

I was just thinking about my least favourite thing to do when camping; the dreaded dumpstation!
Last time I did it, the cap on the ground that opens the 'drain' accidentally flipped shut and sewer water splashed all over my face and mouth which completely grossed me out.
I also hate walking into the TT wearing the same shoes that have been treading in all that wet, questionable stuff.

This got me wondering a couple of things:
1. do any of you have routine you could share?
2. has anyone else had any 'mishaps' happen while at the dumpstation?

Kim
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
I was just thinking about my least favourite thing to do when camping; the dreaded dumpstation!
Last time I did it, the cap on the ground that opens the 'drain' accidentally flipped shut and sewer water splashed all over my face and mouth which completely grossed me out.
I also hate walking into the TT wearing the same shoes that have been treading in all that wet, questionable stuff.

This got me wondering a couple of things:
1. do any of you have routine you could share?
2. has anyone else had any 'mishaps' happen while at the dumpstation?

Kim
Oh, that IS really gross! We haven't had any real "mishaps" that I can remember. We keep the cap open with a stick or a rock to make sure it doesn't snap shut. And one of us stands at the ready with the water hose to wash down any stuff that "escapes." DH always wears gloves. I think if he got it on his hands, he'd freak. Dump station gloves go in a separate ziploc bag in our storage compartment and are a different color from all the other gloves he has. If it were me, I'd wear a pair of flip flops or something that could be easily washed off so you don't track the "stuff" into the camper.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Go to a food service supply house,buy disposable slip over boot covers,disposable Tyvec paper coveralls,paper hat,faceshield,disposable gloves. Total cost $30.00,every time you dump,providing you wash and keep the faceshield. The Gov. EPA and spill teams are outfitted this way. Find a person to dump for you,pay them $20.00,you are money ahead. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

On my second last camping trip last fall, we had my 3 year old nephew visiting. He was playing arounf the camper and pulled the black water valve. Luck for him, the cap for the sewer pipe held everything in. Unlucky for me, on the next day, I removed the cap to connect to the rhino and you guessed it. Crap all over my hands and splashed on my feet. After hearing your story I can now say I am lucky it didn't splash in my mouth. I work in the medical field and I can take a lot of gross stuff, but one thing that churns my guts, is crap.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

Oh my god, I'm grossed out reading about it! I'm an ER nurse, so it takes a lot to make me sick to my stomach. I would have flipped if it splashed anywhere on my body, let alone my face and mouth. Since we are buying our first TT, I'll have DH watching this thread for tips though since he will be the one doing it.

I've been camping my whole life with my parents and I have some horror stories from the dump station. We never understood the people who would do it without wearing gloves. I've seen waaaay too many to count. Then there are the people who let their kids out to run around the area while they pump out, soooo gross. I've even seen people EATING while they pumped out, of course without gloves as well. I just don't get it, do they not understand how disgusting it is?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Kim,
That is one crappy experience I'd have tried hard to forget.

No matter how careful we are we have all had (or will have) some kind of mishap at the dump station. Mine was like Rugged's. I think my middle child was playing around, pulled the valve and then closed it again (She's always into things to see what will happen). A few days later at the dump, I was the lucky recipient. Splashed me up to the knees. I threw out the shoes.

I also use gloves (I buy a large pack from Home Depot at the beginning of the year) and carry around a canister of bleach wipes for afterwards.

The bleach wipes are also good to wipe down the potable water hose a little down the line. I've seen people touch the end of that hose right after dumping their BW. That can't be good.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
The bleach wipes are also good to wipe down the potable water hose a little down the line. I've seen people touch the end of that hose right after dumping their BW. That can't be good.
I've never thought of that, but it's a great idea. Thank you for that bit of info. We will now be keeping some lysol wipes handy for pump out.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #8

We use plastic grocery bags as inexpensive shoes covers.

and the "grossest" that I ever observed.....

We were in dumping position across the from an inexperienced "dumper" who for some reason, had the sewer hose in hand as he opened the black valve. He then tried to connect the hose while the "suff" was flowing out on the ground. Of course he had no gloves on.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

The first thing I do after pulling up to the dump is to put on my disposable surgical gloves and then wash the area around the sewer. After dumping the black tank and while the gray tanks are draining, my wife adds 3 gallons of water back into the black tank. There’s no need for me to go back into the trailer. When I’m done dumping, I rinse out my sewer hose and put it away and then rinse the area around the sewer again. Once that is done I throw away the gloves and wipe my hands with Lysol disinfectant wipes. Then we leave.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
On my second last camping trip last fall, we had my 3 year old nephew visiting. He was playing arounf the camper and pulled the black water valve. Luck for him, the cap for the sewer pipe held everything in. Unlucky for me, on the next day, I removed the cap to connect to the rhino and you guessed it. Crap all over my hands and splashed on my feet. After hearing your story I can now say I am lucky it didn't splash in my mouth. I work in the medical field and I can take a lot of gross stuff, but one thing that churns my guts, is crap.
That's my biggest fear that one of my kids will accidently do that. I am going to puchase one of these in an effort to avoid that. Sewer Spill Eliminator

I think it would be easier to have a clear cap and then you could see what was behind there before you opened it to a "surprise' but I have yet to find such a thing.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #11

Good idea's about disposable gloves and shoe covers. But Michigan state parks never have trash cans at the dump stations................
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

When at a dump station I wear a set of boat shoes that never go into the coach. After connecting and placing the hose into the ground I hold the cover opened with either a rock or a 2 x 12 plank. I wear latex gloves and have a pair of protective eye glasses (kept in the same place as the shoes). Once the task is completed DW will pump about 3-4 gallons in so I can do a quick flush.

Once completed I use an alcohol based hand cleanser to wash down the hands and Lower arms.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

I got used to doing the dump thing where I used to work, it was a learning experience for me. I will now use the knowledge to use when I dump my TT. We did have a PUP and used the blue tote container for our grey water. I have been splashed a few times even using that...I will be careful now when dumping the TT. I have my gloves and stuff ready.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

Here you go. They are on sale at Camping World.
I like the bright color so you can be seen at night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAZMat.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	10681  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #15

Now that's what I call first class dump station attire...too funny Iggy.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #16

I'm enjoying this post. Thanks for the laughs!
dleitermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #17

Me too since I work at a Wastewater Treatment Plant. But we take precautions and not to get splashed. You folks know where your crap is coming from!!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Here you go. They are on sale at Camping World.
I like the bright color so you can be seen at night
Iggy,what is the MSRP of that bad boy? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #19

We try to get full hookups... gloves,antibacterial soap at the water station and be careful and take your time......when we have full hookups we flush the black tank for a few minutes after we dump it. I am a federal employee and was a custodian for years, the dirtiest thing in a public restroom is the door handle, or at least that's what the training manuals say.
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
Kim,
That is one crappy experience I'd have tried hard to forget.

No matter how careful we are we have all had (or will have) some kind of mishap at the dump station. Mine was like Rugged's. I think my middle child was playing around, pulled the valve and then closed it again (She's always into things to see what will happen). A few days later at the dump, I was the lucky recipient. Splashed me up to the knees. I threw out the shoes.

I also use gloves (I buy a large pack from Home Depot at the beginning of the year) and carry around a canister of bleach wipes for afterwards.

We use a spray bottle with bleach water to disinfect the water hose.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad