Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Emergency Flasher for RV Lights

This information applies to RV travel trailers and fifth wheels with the RV 7-way flat-pin type plug. This is the most common type plug found on trailers but your trailer may have another type connector.

If your travel trailer or fifth wheel is broken down on the side of the road at night and you want to take your truck into town for parts or to get help. Wouldn't it be nice if you could leave the trailer marker lights on? Since flashing lights mean caution or emergency it would be even better if you could make them flash.

(It's happened that drunk drivers have driven into the back of a vehicle parked on the roadside thinking they were following traffic. So, using flares along with flashing lights is a good idea.)

Roadside isn't the only place where having flashing lights may be useful. Suppose you're boondocking out in BLM land and need emergency assistance. Maybe you can call for help on your cell phone but how in the world can you give specific directions to your fifth wheel. Those flashing running lights out in the darkness could be the beacon emergency response people need to find you.

This is so easy that anyone can do it and all it takes is a heavy duty 2-pin flasher available at any auto parts store.

The key is to connect the flasher to your trailer's umbilical plug. See how the plug is oriented with the square bump at the top. Notice the two white arrows pointing to the top two pins of the plug. The pin on the left is #4 and is the battery charging line. The right pin, #3, supplies power to the license, tail and running lights.

When you want the lights on but not flashing... we use our running lights as makeshift Christmas and party lights... you can use a short length of 12 gauge wire as a jumper to light up your rig.

**Reprint from RVBasics

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/emergen...er-lights.html

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

good stuff!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #3

Great idea! I will add one to my roadside emergency kit.

My possible uses would be:

• For roadside emergency when leaving the trailer on the side of the road.

• To help a camping buddy find us when pulling into the campground.
(I think I would have him call on the cell if possible when arriving before I plug it in)

• Emergency signal identification

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #4

Used to do the wire when kids were smaller to help them find their way back to the camper if they were out after dark. Gets dark quick in the fall
wdcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #5

Thanks for that great info!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #6

x2 thanks
it sure seems a bunch less $$ than the commericaly advertised yellow box to hook up and make the flash flash go flash
Old 04-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Site Team

What a GREAT idea!!
Thanks!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #8

Great Idea ..... but just one question:

The picture of the flasher unit shows the caution note that it must be fused.

What's the worst case scenario plugging the flasher in without a fuse?

I guess this also applies to using the jumper wire to simply put the lights ON, although that's an easy fix .... just buy a wire with a fuse receptacle in-line.

Any thoughts?

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #9

I made two jumbers for my camper and they work great, just make sure that you use 12 GUAGE solid copper wire, NOT 14 GUAGE. For those that do not know the smaller the guage number the bigger the wire, that means the more load it can carry with out over heating.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Great Idea ..... but just one question:

The picture of the flasher unit shows the caution note that it must be fused.

What's the worst case scenario plugging the flasher in without a fuse?

I guess this also applies to using the jumper wire to simply put the lights ON, although that's an easy fix .... just buy a wire with a fuse receptacle in-line.

Any thoughts?

John
I am a camper noobie, and noticed wuite a few campers this weekend with their running / clearance lights on at night. I have 3 small kids and like this idea to help them find their way back to the camper at dark and then turning them off once bedtime hits.

A couple of questions / concerns before I run to the auto parts store tomorrow for the flasher (also a great idea for emergencies)...I will be most interested in keeping the lights ON (not flashing). Is there a NEED for that 12ga jumper wire to be fused or not!? I would almost be inclined to put an inline fuse in the jumper just for piece of mind and not worrying about "frying" my camper electrical system or something silly.

But, that being said, what AMP fure would I need to use in-line!?

Is it ALWAYS the #3 & #4 slots that are jumped on the 7-way plugs? I have a 2010 Salem 30QBSS TT if that makes any difference.

Last question...will this little "trick" harm any other electrical system(s) on the camper!? Just don't want to risk anything...but would like to do it if it's as simple as it seems.

Thanks All!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I am a camper noobie, and noticed wuite a few campers this weekend with their running / clearance lights on at night. I have 3 small kids and like this idea to help them find their way back to the camper at dark and then turning them off once bedtime hits.

A couple of questions / concerns before I run to the auto parts store tomorrow for the flasher (also a great idea for emergencies)...I will be most interested in keeping the lights ON (not flashing). Is there a NEED for that 12ga jumper wire to be fused or not!? I would almost be inclined to put an inline fuse in the jumper just for piece of mind and not worrying about "frying" my camper electrical system or something silly.

But, that being said, what AMP fure would I need to use in-line!?

Is it ALWAYS the #3 & #4 slots that are jumped on the 7-way plugs? I have a 2010 Salem 30QBSS TT if that makes any difference.

Last question...will this little "trick" harm any other electrical system(s) on the camper!? Just don't want to risk anything...but would like to do it if it's as simple as it seems.

Thanks All!
I used a fused jumper. Go the parts store, get an inline fuse, and install a flat blade female connector on each end.....you probably will have to mash them slightly to get them to work in the trailer connector. I think I am using a 15 amp fuse, but can't remember right off. You want to use the lowest amp fuse that you can, so that the fuse will blow before the wires burn in case of a problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

Hey guys I tried this and it will not work for me, I have a 1999 Keystone Sprinter. I followed the instructions to a Tee but it just won't work.

States I have camped in

lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I used a fused jumper. Go the parts store, get an inline fuse, and install a flat blade female connector on each end.....you probably will have to mash them slightly to get them to work in the trailer connector. I think I am using a 15 amp fuse, but can't remember right off. You want to use the lowest amp fuse that you can, so that the fuse will blow before the wires burn in case of a problem.
I was checking the Grote website & they sell a 12 Ga inline fuse holder that comes w/ a 20 Amp fuse (glass type). The PN is 82-2205. NAPA in Canada carries Grote parts.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #14

Great idea, but PLEASE PLEASE don't drive with the four-way flashers on! If I was a cop, I'd ticket every idiot out there that I see driving in the rain with them on. I understand that they want to be seen- but a four way flasher is for emergency use- stopped preferrably pulled over to the side of the road vehicles, and, as a driveryou already encounter low visibility in a storm. When you come across this, you tend to slow way down, and possibly cause a chain reaction crash. A rainstorm is NOT an emergency!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I ended up getting the Grote 82-2166 fuse holder. More robust & uses ATO fuses (large blade type). Fuse holder was less than 4 bucks including tax.

Grote Industries: ATO Style Fuse Holder (Product #82-2166)

Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I used a fused jumper. Go the parts store, get an inline fuse, and install a flat blade female connector on each end.....you probably will have to mash them slightly to get them to work in the trailer connector.
I checked the fit of the female connector in the trailer plug. The fit wasn't snug or tight so I left them as they were. Tried the jumper after it got dark tonight & the trailer was lit up . If anyone drove by the yard, they probably wondered what the heck was going on.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
Jas

Randy,
in some state you have to use the 4 ways if your driving well below the posted speed limit. It is intended to increase your visibility as a potential road hazzard, hence the name "hazzard lights". This applies to your personal vehicle as well as a bigger tow rig. Down here we get some serious down pours and due the the large military presence, everybody drive differently causing some idiots to drive 70 MPH in zero visibility while others are rolling along at 30 MPH. If the 2 meet, the slow driver is ticketed because he was over 20mph off the posted 55MPH speed limit without the flashers on as well as the yahoo going 15MPH over.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Most truckers will turn the flashers or hazards on when climbing grades @ a slow speed.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Hey guys I tried this and it will not work for me, I have a 1999 Keystone Sprinter. I followed the instructions to a Tee but it just won't work.
If your marker lights work while plugged up to the tow vehicle, then you may not have 12 volts to the plug. Test that with a multi-function meter, and see if you have power to the plug.

Check out this thread for Bargman connection pin locations: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post51889

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #20

I have checked my plug and there is power to the plug while not hooked to tow vehicle. Does the wire have to be 12ga for it to work??

States I have camped in

lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote