Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

EMS and Cell Phones

My wife and I took a first aid / CPR class. They said you should learn about your cell phone. You may need to put the phone call on speaker, work the flashlight, get or give your GPS location. Also, allowing your phone to give your location when speaking to 911 is something you need to turn on or leave on.

The getting the GPS location was the take away as it works without cell service and is easy.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Good advice.

There are a number of us older folks who do not know how to take advantage of all the options on our phones. The ones you list are a good starting point. Most cell phone companies will have local classes available.

While you can turn off the general location function of your cell phone, the 911 location is always on and can not be turned off. One less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the reminder!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:05 AM   #3

Don’t depend on any of that really. 97% of the US has access to 911 type services, however there is no standardized level of 911 services. AMOF it’s a pretty safe bet that rural places that a lot of campers favor, barely have 911 services at all! So things such as enhanced 911 (location services) are probably not available. And when you throw cellphones in the mix, there are even fewer services that can offer cellphone location tracking. So in a nut shell YMMV greatly.

If you’re a rural camper get a map of where you’re at. Get yourself a true no frills GPS. Keep it in the camper. Put fresh batteries with it every season. Don’t depend on your phone. We all marvel at these little devices. But trust them too much could get you in a world of crap. Some cellphones don’t have true GPS chips. So if you’re w/o cell service your GPS is not accurate or won’t work at all.
diver165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #4

Good advice but many of us still use flip phones and live and camp in areas without cell service coverage.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver165 View Post
If you’re a rural camper get a map of where you’re at. Get yourself a true no frills GPS. Keep it in the camper. Put fresh batteries with it every season. Don’t depend on your phone. We all marvel at these little devices. But trust them too much could get you in a world of crap. Some cellphones don’t have true GPS chips. So if you’re w/o cell service your GPS is not accurate or won’t work at all.
Spot on regarding different types of 911 services. But I'm afraid your other recommendations don't work in this day and age. The number of people who can orient a topo map and identify their position from looking at their surroundings is getting fewer by the day (as old folks die off). And that assumes that you have the correct map that contains your actual location. And don't get me started on the number of people that can correctly read their latitude and longitude from the map.

The number of phones without GPS is also getting fewer and fewer. Many of us may not know how to pull up GPS coordinates on our phones, but it's available on just about all smart phones nowadays. The other nice thing about a smart phone is the ability to show GPS position overlaid directly on Google Maps. Google Maps allows you to download the map in advance so you have full functionality (except for current traffic conditions) without any cell phone service, so it works just as well as a stand-alone GPS with a built-in map display. One less device to keep track of, updated, and charged.

I love paper maps, and often print them out or use pre-printed ones for hiking/camping/road trips. But when I tried to teach orienteering to Scouts (10 years ago) using compass and topo maps, the total confusion on the faces told me that this is not a today's world skill.

keeping it simple
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Spot on regarding different types of 911 services. But I'm afraid your other recommendations don't work in this day and age.
Nah my advice is spot on.

You don’t need a detailed Topo map. But don’t rely on your cellphone as your only means of location and navigation. That’s all I’m saying. The same people you say can’t read a map are the same people that wouldn’t know if they had real GPS chipon the iPhone they’ve had for 10yrs or how to download the appropriate maps.

And I should clarify when I’m talking about a no frills GPS I’m not talking about the ones on your dashboard that say “recalculating...”. LOL I had to reread your reply then it dawned on me what you must be thinking. I’m talking about one that will show GPS coordinates on the fly that seldom need updating if at all.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:

You don’t need a detailed Topo map. But don’t rely on your cellphone as your only means of location and navigation. That’s all I’m saying. The same people you say can’t read a map are the same people that wouldn’t know if they had real GPS on the iPhone they’ve had for 10yrs.
And that is the entire gist of the original post. Learn to use the capabilities of your phone that would be useful in an emergency BEFORE there is an emergency. And, as you pointed out, it is always a great idea to have multiple methods of confirming location.

And if you are in an area with no cell phone service and have an emergency, it's a whole nuther ball game.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And that is the entire gist of the original post. Learn to use the capabilities of your phone that would be useful in an emergency BEFORE there is an emergency. And, as you pointed out, it is always a great idea to have multiple methods of confirming location.

And if you are in an area with no cell phone service and have an emergency, it's a whole nuther ball game.......

Exactly
Old 01-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Spot on regarding different types of 911 services. But I'm afraid your other recommendations don't work in this day and age. The number of people who can orient a topo map and identify their position from looking at their surroundings is getting fewer by the day (as old folks die off). And that assumes that you have the correct map that contains your actual location. And don't get me started on the number of people that can correctly read their latitude and longitude from the map.

The number of phones without GPS is also getting fewer and fewer. Many of us may not know how to pull up GPS coordinates on our phones, but it's available on just about all smart phones nowadays. The other nice thing about a smart phone is the ability to show GPS position overlaid directly on Google Maps. Google Maps allows you to download the map in advance so you have full functionality (except for current traffic conditions) without any cell phone service, so it works just as well as a stand-alone GPS with a built-in map display. One less device to keep track of, updated, and charged.

I love paper maps, and often print them out or use pre-printed ones for hiking/camping/road trips. But when I tried to teach orienteering to Scouts (10 years ago) using compass and topo maps, the total confusion on the faces told me that this is not a today's world skill.

keeping it simple
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame

I would love to learn this. I take a gps with me and usually hike alone. It has saved me a few times when I got lost. I hope it never breaks at a critical time. I have been fascinated by people who could use a map. It seems like just trees in every direction. Don't know how people find their location on a map.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

Always be prepared to talk to the dispatcher and convey your location. The cell system has come a ,long way but it is far from perfect. The quality of the cell system varies widely throughout the countries as does the capabilities of the dispatch centers. I worked in this industry for 30 years, representing public safety agencies, and have seen remarkable improvements, but I also know our shortcomings. Never rely on the systems to save you. Talk to the dispatcher and convey your location and needs.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I would love to learn this. I take a gps with me and usually hike alone. It has saved me a few times when I got lost. I hope it never breaks at a critical time. I have been fascinated by people who could use a map. It seems like just trees in every direction. Don't know how people find their location on a map.
The best way to start is to get a topo map for the area - and track your location from the very start. Depending on the terrain and the criticality of your location, locate yourself every 30 minutes to an hour. Look at your surroundings and compare it to the topography on the map. Rock outcroppings, the direction and steepness of the slope, and ravines, streams, or ridges are all clues.

After comparing your surroundings to the GPS position on the map, reverse it and try to figure out your position from the map first, and then check against GPS. Figure out why you were wrong and try again.

Obviously, this is much easier in the West where trees are not as dense - if they exist. But you often have to get out from under the trees to get a GPS fix in the East anyway.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Always be prepared to talk to the dispatcher and convey your location.
In our last trailer we had a whiteboard by the door where we'd write down the campground name and site number so we'd remember it in an emergency. This reminds me we have to add one to the new trailer.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
In our last trailer we had a whiteboard by the door where we'd write down the campground name and site number so we'd remember it in an emergency. This reminds me we have to add one to the new trailer.
Excellent idea! In a true emergency people often forget their own phone number or home address, so it is very conceivable you would not recall your campsite info.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:

You don’t need a detailed Topo map. But don’t rely on your cellphone as your only means of location and navigation. That’s all I’m saying. The same people you say can’t read a map are the same people that wouldn’t know if they had real GPS chipon the iPhone they’ve had for 10yrs or how to download the appropriate maps.

And I should clarify when I’m talking about a no frills GPS I’m not talking about the ones on your dashboard that say “recalculating...”. LOL I had to reread your reply then it dawned on me what you must be thinking. I’m talking about one that will show GPS coordinates on the fly that seldom need updating if at all.
Don’t have a clue about Android based phones but do know that all iPhones beginning with the model 4 (third one introduced) have a GPS chip installed.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #15

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
My wife and I took a first aid / CPR class. They said you should learn about your cell phone. You may need to put the phone call on speaker, work the flashlight, get or give your GPS location. Also, allowing your phone to give your location when speaking to 911 is something you need to turn on or leave on.

The getting the GPS location was the take away as it works without cell service and is easy.

Also, it might pay to download a first aid app. I know the Red Cross did have a good one. I downloaded it and have not looked at the site in a couple of years. But, when it hits the fan, unless you are a first responder or above, it's easy to forget some of the treatments and or signs.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Always be prepared to talk to the dispatcher and convey your location. The cell system has come a ,long way but it is far from perfect. The quality of the cell system varies widely throughout the countries as does the capabilities of the dispatch centers. I worked in this industry for 30 years, representing public safety agencies, and have seen remarkable improvements, but I also know our shortcomings. Never rely on the systems to save you. Talk to the dispatcher and convey your location and needs.
I work in the industry now. You are still 100% correct. It has come a long way but the dispatchers will always defer to a human telling them where to go. Many times you are routed to call centers in the wrong area. Cell boundaries do not follow municipal ones.

Gps locations may slow things down compared to an address or campground name as lat/long needs to be translated to an address for first reaponders and mapping anyway. GPS location should be a last resort if no address is available.

All phones now have GPS (made in the last 5 years), even flip phones. Accuracy is a different story. Even those that dont have chips will use the network to figure out where you are roughly but accuracy is an issue. Worst case PSAPs get a cell sector or cell site address and can rebid your location provided they know how, but wifi calling may not. They is nothing you can do here other than be outside and ask them to rebid.

Knowing how to use GPS on the phone you dial on does not help because phones go into emergency mode and will send location even if settings have it turned off. They will prevent you from doing anything much other than speak to the dispatcher (varies by carrier). They will even disable call waiting and calling other numbers post 911 call in some cases until they are rebooted or reaquire service.

Tell the dispatcher where you are! Tell them how to get there! Stay on the phone until they get there! Tell them when you hear the sirens. Wave them down or send someone to do so when they get nearby!

Stay safe and best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote