Old 08-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

extended warranty recommendation?

Hi

Just bought a Forest River Forester and wanted to purchase an ext warranty. Any recommendations? There are so many out there, its hard to decide who is best.

Thanks!

Roger
prescottexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Team

You are going to get many answers. Most extended warranties are simply added profit for the dealer. A few facts to consider when deciding.
1. Most of the items in an RV are covered by the OEM warranty.
2. Warranty repairs usually pay less than walk in repairs and as such repair facilities don't prioritize warranty work.
3. Most warranties contain escape clauses for the insurer so you need to read them very carefully to determine what is and is not covered.
4. Some warranties require annual inspections which usually include labor hours. Be sure to add that into the cost.
5. If you are reasonably capable of doing minor repairs, many times it is lower cost to put the money in a bank and pay out of pocket for repairs you can't handle.

Every persons needs and capabilities are different, you need to base this decision on your situation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You are going to get many answers. Most extended warranties are simply added profit for the dealer. A few facts to consider when deciding.
1. Most of the items in an RV are covered by the OEM warranty.
2. Warranty repairs usually pay less than walk in repairs and as such repair facilities don't prioritize warranty work.
3. Most warranties contain escape clauses for the insurer so you need to read them very carefully to determine what is and is not covered.
4. Some warranties require annual inspections which usually include labor hours. Be sure to add that into the cost.
5. If you are reasonably capable of doing minor repairs, many times it is lower cost to put the money in a bank and pay out of pocket for repairs you can't handle.

Every persons needs and capabilities are different, you need to base this decision on your situation.
I would have to agree with flybob. Put that moneye in the bank and use it for repairs. It will be alot less of a headache.
A great way to repair your rv/tt is to go on YouTube and look it up.
Most dealerships hate doing warranty work because they don't get paid very well. And that being said they will repair it subpar.
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Site Team

I paid $1800 for XtraRide Platinum 5 year coverage. It paid out $4200 in two big claims - the last one was approved a few days before the plan expired and was paid out a few days after! I didn’t use my selling dealership but the service center of a dealership nearer my home. Their warranty manager was happy to get the work and the amount paid.
I should have just copied this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I realize I'm taking my sanity into my own hands by posting here. We have a member or 2 who will post 7-8 times in a single extended service contract thread that one is entirely stupid, grossly lazy, incompetent mathematically, or doesn't own any tools if they even consider purchasing same.

My experience: I paid $1800 cash (didn't finance) for a 5 year XtraRide Platinum extended service contract. They paid for two major repairs - a total of $4200 dollars including one repair approved a couple of days before the contract expired and paid a couple of days after the contract expired.

I never spoke to them. The warranty clerk at my service center (not my original dealership) did all the negotiations.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #5

For some it pays off, if an expensive covered repair is needed. Statistically, for most, it does not or the companies would not make money. It depends if you are big on insurance or are willing to bet that you won't need it. I agree with others, invest the money and pay up front.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

thank you

thanks for all your input. i'm going to wait and perhaps self insure.

best regards, roger
prescottexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottexplorer View Post
thanks for all your input. i'm going to wait and perhaps self insure.

best regards, roger
I have found that to be the best option. Anything I can't repair or replace myself goes out to the factory. They have NEVER overcharged and always exceed expectations.

I feel it the camper is unsafe (or can't be made safe) to drive to Indiana, it is most likely totaled anyway.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottexplorer View Post
i'm going to wait and perhaps self insure.
That's what I also do. They don't sell this warranty to lose money
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty