Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Love My Sunseeker

I have heard of this, but only for black tank. You put ice cubes down the toilet, then add some borax, about 1/2 cup. Then flush some water. And, driving like a bat out of hell is HELFPUL (though I wouldn't suggest doing it for safety of the REST of us on the road....). You are SUPPOSED to slosh it around. That's why you need some water. Like others, I have yet to figure out how to get ice down the gray tank.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #22

I always find these conversations curious. We've had campers for 15 years and its never been an issue. Plenty of water when flushing; and adding 1-2 toilet pkts and 2 gal of water after dumping has worked fine for us. We've never not dumped because we didn't have enough waste ~ I use the 2 pkts during the hottest months.

Happy flushing~~~~
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Impossible in the gray tank unless you broke the drain's cross members that hold the stopper in and used VERY small ice cubes or crushed ice. That would also make using the cubes to bang against the sides impossible as well. Won't work at all.

As to black tank, the ice will work to "scrub" the walls of the tank (until they melt of course) so you have to dump it down the toilet immediately before you pull out on your trip.

I have NEVER done this as I use the OEM turbo flush every time I can.

In addition, I installed the Horst probes and the ice may damage them.

The "button" probes are the OEM style and even with vigorous turboflushing you can see how crud will short out the probe to the wall and turn on lights even if the tank is empty. The newer style (White Teflon covered wire) works GREAT.
I also use the OEM Torbo Flush when ever I can. When there are not others two and three deep behind me at the dump station.
I've wonder if I should be using my regulator when flushing? I wonder what pressure the system is rated for. Adding another step would increase my time at the dump station.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Plain Old Member

Once you do the geo method, there is no need to ever have to "clean" the tank with the ice cubes, as nothing ever sticks inside the tank. I never had a problem with the blue chemical or packs, but I know with the detergent and water softener work better, at least in my tests. With the blue chemical, it took about 3 tank flushes (fill for 5 minutes and dump) to get crystal clear water flowing. With the geo method, initial dump, fill for 5 minutes and it comes out clear, cause nothing stuck. To each his own, but if you haven't tried it, you'll be surprised with this simple home remedy.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
I always find these conversations curious. We've had campers for 15 years and its never been an issue. Plenty of water when flushing; and adding 1-2 toilet pkts and 2 gal of water after dumping has worked fine for us. We've never not dumped because we didn't have enough waste ~ I use the 2 pkts during the hottest months.

Happy flushing~~~~
X2. I do it the same way as clancythecamper.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #26

As I understand it, the geo method is for cleaning the tank. I would still use the good bacteria packet to get the black water tank started good on the next use.
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
Plain Old Member

Geo method is not just for cleaning, it takes the place of the chemical. You can add bleach as well if you want to kill anything. The guy that come up with the mixture mentions adding the bleach. Here's the link to the whole article if interested. BTW, you can tell everything still breaks down nicely by watching the clear fitting at the dump valve while dumping.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #28

BigJohnD. John I read the article and was wondering if I still need the Calgon water softener since I fill my fresh water tank with Soft Water from my water softener at home before camping?
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
Plain Old Member

No need to add any to the fresh water tank really. Our city water is plenty soft enough. We just use the geo method on the black tank for the most part. Now, on occasion I will put a tad of bleach in the fresh water tank just to make sure nothing is living in there.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #30

Oh great! Poozilla! Something else to worry about.
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
Plain Old Member

Had a run in with poozilla my first year of rving. Funny after the fact.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #32

You missed my point and that is I have a water softener at home base so I am carrying soft water with me in the fresh tank so as it is used and moves to the other tanks it is already soft water so why add additional softener to the tanks. Detergent and/or bleach in the black tank should be all that is needed.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #33
Plain Old Member

Ah, I gotcha. Sorry about that. If it were me, I'd still add additional softener to the black tank. The mixture we put in the tank is beyond what you'd shower with for sure. I made the mistake of stirring the mixture with my hand the first time. Like having thin vaseline on your hands. Thought at that point, no wonder nothing sticks to the tank. use an old spoon now. Can't put too much in other words.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #34

Good point, need the higher concentration.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #35

To work, you need the tank to be nearly full so the ice cubes will slosh around and "scrub" the sensors clean. BUT the ice cubes melt too quickly in all that water, and you need more ice than is practical to make it work.

Use walnut shells instead. They float around and don't melt.

Seriously, I started using the GEO method this year too (water softener + laundry detergent)
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
To work, you need the tank to be nearly full so the ice cubes will slosh around and "scrub" the sensors clean. BUT the ice cubes melt too quickly in all that water, and you need more ice than is practical to make it work.

Use walnut shells instead. They float around and don't melt.

Seriously, I started using the GEO method this year too (water softener + laundry detergent)
5 gal of water and 10#-15# ice is what works. Don't need or want a full tank. Driving around an empty parking lot and swerving back and forth will work.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #37

I can say that I have used this method to clean the inside of the black tank, I cannot say that it improved my sensors any. Mine read full whether full or empty. I have access to an ice machine so after a couple of camping trips I just pull the TT to work, heave-ho about four five-gallon buckets of ice in through the toilet, then drive around our parking lot with sudden stops. I hook up to my home-made macerator pump when I get home with one clear fitting and let 'er loose into my septic system. YES, I do get stuff coming out of the tank after I have (or so I thought) completely drained my black-water tank and flushed it well at home. The ice does work to knock "stuff" off of the tank walls and probably the floor of the tank.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote