Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #21
Site Team

We keep a file in the library about how cylinders "should" be refilled. It doesn't mean this is "how" many actually do it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=214

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Our local tractor supply does it properly and uses the scales to ensure it's correct on the portable DOT cylinders.. Pics taken about twenty minutes ago when I went to get one refilled for Thanksgiving turkey frying.Attachment 219891Attachment 219892
Haven't seen a scale in use in years . thanks for the memories . even the propane companies don't use them anymore ,at least not around here
Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #23

i have never had a tank filled while on a scale! the flow meter records how many gallons are pumped into the tank. the majority of places i have seen just record how many gallons they pump regardless of whether the tank(s) is empty of not. i have seen places that quote a fixed price for a fill (empty or not) but i have not used them. the local place i use does check the tank expiration dates. they may want to the tanks out if they cannot read the stamps easily. i take my tanks out. but realize that these same suppliers also pump propane into motorhomes that have non-removable tanks. the only issue i could see with trying to fill propane bottles in a trailer or 5th wheel would be access to the acme fitting. the fill hose have a long brass screw on fitting on their hose and they may not be able to align and connect this to the tank if it is in a compartment or housing.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #24
Site Team

The proper way for the DOT cylinders to make sure is by weight, as OPD could fail. The meter is to measure the amount put in by gallons so they can charge for such. Motorhomes have ASME tanks, which is a different set of regs.

Most all the exchange cages say that they have 15 pounds net weight in the twenty pound cylinders. The only way that could be accurate is if they weigh each cylinder (as tare weights are different per cylinder) when filling

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #25

Quote:
The proper way for the DOT cylinders to make sure is by weight, as OPD could fail. The meter is to measure the amount put in by gallons so they can charge for such. Motorhomes have ASME tanks, which is a different set of regs.

Most all the exchange cages say that they have 15 pounds net weight in the twenty pound cylinders. The only way that could be accurate is if they weigh each cylinder (as tare weights are different per cylinder) when filling

Exchange places are a ripoff . only by the gallon are you getting a fair deal even when they charge way more per gallon then they should . at home i pay 1.45 a gallon . in west yellowstone they charge 4.50 a gallon .
Old 11-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #26

Quote:

The difference in tare weight is most likely WHY they fill by weight and "underfill".

As for OPD's failing one could also make a case for every other part of the assembly failing. I'm sure OPD's have been pretty severely tested before they were mandated.

Around here even the LPG distributors fill portable tanks by meter and don't bother with a scale. Apparently any regulation requiring use of a scale is being very widely ignored by everyone.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 11-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Every place I have been to measures out in gallons but they use the scale to know when they are full.
Just got one filled close to where I live. It took 4.2 gallons. No scale just what the meter said. It is set to stop at 4.5 gallons. Cost $3 per gallon with no sale tax.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Old 11-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #28

Yes the exchange stations are never filled all the way because of dot regulations for commercial transportation. Although convenient you are getting ripped off.IMO

Where ever you go there you are
Old 11-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
Yes the exchange stations are never filled all the way because of dot regulations for commercial transportation. Although convenient you are getting ripped off.IMO
This is incorrect. They are only filled to 15 pounds for profit purposes. If you will look in the FAQ section, we have a tutorial on refilling vs exchanging cylinders. I may have already posted a link earlier in this thread. There is no DOT regulation that says they have to be transported with less than 20 pounds.

It explains the refills, and has links to the lawsuits and such that Blue Rhino and Amerigas lost due to their collusion to drop the tanks down to 15 pounds.

Just Google their company names with the word lawsuit and you will get all kind of search returns which explains their collusion and their settlement with the federal government over it all. I've posted this many times in many different threads.

Here is just one from the FTC

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...e-rhino-matter

Old 11-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #30

Quote:
This is incorrect. They are only filled to 15 pounds for profit purposes. If you will look in the FAQ section, we have a tutorial on refilling vs exchanging cylinders. I may have already posted a link earlier in this thread. There is no DOT regulation that says they have to be transported with less than 20 pounds.

It explains the refills, and has links to the lawsuits and such that Blue Rhino and Amerigas lost due to their collusion to drop the tanks down to 15 pounds.

Just Google their company names with the word lawsuit and you will get all kind of search returns which explains their collusion and their settlement with the federal government over it all. I've posted this many times in many different threads.

Here is just one from the FTC

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...e-rhino-matter

Now that all that legal action is concluded and the tanks are labeled as holding 15 lbs, if people continue to buy them can they actually claim they're getting screwed?

As for me, I'm going to buy my Propane the same way I buy my gas, through a meter and only pay for what I get.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #31

Camping used to be soooooooooo easy.
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
Old 11-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #32

Camping still is. "Internetting" is where the complications come in. [emoji41]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
Camping used to be soooooooooo easy.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #33

Hey David,

Never heard of the scale method. I have a class A and just filled our tank on Tuesday. I filled at a Chevron gas station and just pulled right up to the tank, the attendant came out and filled the attached tank right there. They had a meter, just like on the gasoline pumps, and once it was full I went inside and paid, then drove off.

I would think the only time you would have to remove them would be for your convenience, like if you couldn’t get your rig into the place you wanted to fill your tanks.

Good Luck! And remember the only dumb question is the unasked question. I’m fairly new to the RV world myself and I “Google” or go on the forums for a lot of questions.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #34

I've never had a propane tank filled, out of about 1,000 times, in anything other than by them putting it on a scale. I had no idea there was any other way.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #35

In our area they either charge by the pound or by the gallon. They all seem to charge$1 per pound. The Tractor Supply around here is currently charging $2.79 per gallon. Prior to Thanksgiving I had a 30 and 20 lb tank that were both empty filled. The local vendors charging by the lb would have charged my$50 however I ended paying $31 and change to get them filled. Don't think I'll being paying by the pound anymore.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
unless they are completely empty, without putting them on a scale you will be charged for a full tank no matter how much was still in it.
Nonsense. The pumps measure gallons delivered.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Depends on the filling station.

Typically, they should be removed and then the filler puts them on a scale and weighs them when filling.

Some places don't care and if their hose is long enough, they will simply ask you to pull near enough to attach the hose and pump LP until the meter stops.

You really should get in the habit of removing your tanks to get them filled and then you won't be disappointed when they ask you for the tank and fill it the right way.

Oh and BTW... I'm guessing you have two 30 POUND tanks and not two 33 GALLON tanks!

And also... depending on the filling station... some only charge for the amount that goes in the tank when topping off and other places charge a flat fee based upon tank size no matter how little it takes to top it off.
More nonsense. Ever heard of body mount tanks?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I've never had a propane tank filled, out of about 1,000 times, in anything other than by them putting it on a scale. I had no idea there was any other way.
And I’ve had my propane tanks filled thousands of times with no scale in sight.

They charge by the gallon.

Things might differ in Toad Suck.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I must frequent primitive places. All of them used scales, I didn't see a flow meter on them. My ignorance
Yes.

Ignorance is simply lack of knowledge. Nothing negative about that. We’re here to learn.

The incorrect advice is another matter. Things in your State or region might differ from others. But I’ve been doing this or 50 years in most US States and Canada, and never encountered a scale. My last two RVs had body mount tanks so no way to weigh.

They watch for the vent to show liquid and turn off the pump.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #40

2 words

Tractor Supply
Or propane distributor. Never a gas station unless you absolutely must
Closed Thread

Tags
tank