RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #81
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Ok. Live and learn. Paying around $3 a gallon is normal. Hey! Here in the Midwest there is an LP shortage because of the delay in farmers getting their crops in. We probably should have waited 3 weeks when we get to FL.
I'm not understanding the LP shortage. Please explain the correlation between farmer's crops and LP gas production/distribution. I'd just like to understand this better.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 12-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #82
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I'm not understanding the LP shortage. Please explain the correlation between farmer's crops and LP gas production/distribution. I'd just like to understand this better.
Farmers use LP dryers to dry the corn and soybean crops they harvest.
It is in HUGE demand when they harvest so LP gets scarce and expensive!

EDIT: Here's a quick Google link...
LP Shortage in the Midwest
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
Old 12-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #83
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Farmers use LP dryers to dry the corn and soybean crops they harvest.
It is in HUGE demand when they harvest so LP gets scarce and expensive!

EDIT: Here's a quick Google link...
LP Shortage in the Midwest
Okay, thanks for the explanation/info. I didn't know this.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #84

Back in 1963 we had a farm tractor that was LP fueled and my little brother and our dad had taught us how to refuel it. Our aunt and uncle were visiting from California and saw my little brother(12) pull up to the 1000 gallon tank, puts on leather gloves, threads the big hose onto the fitting and open the vapor vent. They were open mouthed and even more so when this kid pointed out the no smoking or open flame sign on the tank and asked my uncle to put out his cigarette. I've been around LP al my life filling tractors, forklift tanks and portable tanks.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #85
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Back in 1963 we had a farm tractor that was LP fueled and my little brother and our dad had taught us how to refuel it. Our aunt and uncle were visiting from California and saw my little brother(12) pull up to the 1000 gallon tank, puts on leather gloves, threads the big hose onto the fitting and open the vapor vent. They were open mouthed and even more so when this kid pointed out the no smoking or open flame sign on the tank and asked my uncle to put out his cigarette. I've been around LP al my life filling tractors, forklift tanks and portable tanks.
Reminds me of the story about General Curtis LeMay. He was known for walking the flight line with a cigar while they were refueling bombers. An Airman asked him to put out his cigar because the plane might blow up. His response was "It wouldn't dare".
Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minthillbill View Post
Depends on where you go.
My place fills and I pay for what they put in. By the gallon.
And I take my tanks off.
When a tank expires (12 years). I exchange at Walmart for $15. For a 20 pound tank with 17 pounds in it.

You're lucky you are still getting 17 in those exchange tanks. Around St Louis, the exchange tanks only have 15 in them. And most of the places that fill a tank won't fill over 16 saying they can only fill to 80 percent by law.

My favorite farm store (Buchheit's) still fills tanks all the way, so I always get something north of 19 in a 20 pounder. And when my tanks started expiring (I have 12 with most being used for a nonprofit barbecue), they pointed me to an LP dealer that not only was cheaper than the farm store for the LP, they didn't charge for the recertification if I had them fill the tank at the same time! Step up and accept your applause, American Propane in Pevely, MO!

And my favorite places still use the scale. Apparently, the hose used on smaller tanks isn't metered, because the visible meters never move during a tank fill. The bigger residential fixed tanks that are filled from a truck are all metered based on gallonage with most tanks being 500 or 1,000 gallon tanks. One place I used to use before finding Buchheit's used the scale but relied more on the open vent method for determining the stopping point. Neither of my favorites seem to have a screwdriver handy - scale is the only way to go.

Now I just need to figure out where to get the fixed tank on my new used mini motor home filled ....
Old 12-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #87

Filling LP tanks seems to be a "were you are at the time " experience ... many things are done different depending on where you are from, working my lawn business I was told by my "snow bird customers" 1000's of time well up north we do it like this. well welcome to Florida
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 12-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #88

When I lived in Florida during the end of the last century, if a snowbird said “thats not the way we do it up north”, the bill usually got magically larger.

We raised our kids in Florida, then we moved north.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Old 12-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
When I lived in Florida during the end of the last century, if a snowbird said “thats not the way we do it up north”, the bill usually got magically larger.

We raised our kids in Florida, then we moved north.
Cost doubled if they watched and tripled if they spoke
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 12-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
You're lucky you are still getting 17 in those exchange tanks. Around St Louis, the exchange tanks only have 15 in them. And most of the places that fill a tank won't fill over 16 saying they can only fill to 80 percent by law.

My favorite farm store (Buchheit's) still fills tanks all the way, so I always get something north of 19 in a 20 pounder. And when my tanks started expiring (I have 12 with most being used for a nonprofit barbecue), they pointed me to an LP dealer that not only was cheaper than the farm store for the LP, they didn't charge for the recertification if I had them fill the tank at the same time! Step up and accept your applause, American Propane in Pevely, MO!

And my favorite places still use the scale. Apparently, the hose used on smaller tanks isn't metered, because the visible meters never move during a tank fill. The bigger residential fixed tanks that are filled from a truck are all metered based on gallonage with most tanks being 500 or 1,000 gallon tanks. One place I used to use before finding Buchheit's used the scale but relied more on the open vent method for determining the stopping point. Neither of my favorites seem to have a screwdriver handy - scale is the only way to go.

Now I just need to figure out where to get the fixed tank on my new used mini motor home filled ....
Law or no law they can't fill over 80% because the OPD device in the tank will shut off not allowing any more gas into tank
Old 12-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #91
Site Team

Quote:

That 16 pound misinformation is incorrect. Please read this link so hopefully you can straighten out anybody who falsely claims that a 20 pound cylinder is designed to properly hold anything less than 20 pounds of propane.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
Old 12-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #92

Quote:

Wow, wherever I've traveled they always use the same size hose for large and small tanks. Just an adapter if necessary. And the meter always moves even if I'm only filling a small tank. Meters measure all the way down into the decimal fractions of a gallon, regardless of flow rate.

Now if this information came from a high school dropout tending the propane fill station then what you say makes more sense.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Wow, wherever I've traveled they always use the same size hose for large and small tanks. Just an adapter if necessary. And the meter always moves even if I'm only filling a small tank. Meters measure all the way down into the decimal fractions of a gallon, regardless of flow rate.

Now if this information came from a high school dropout tending the propane fill station then what you say makes more sense.
Last time I went to fill my 5# tank, the meter never moved so I asked them to weigh it. Turns out they put in almost an entire gallon of propane but the flow rate was too low for the meter to register. This is at U-Haul and there equipment seems a little suspect to me. The meter worked properly with the 20# tank I was also getting filled.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Last time I went to fill my 5# tank, the meter never moved so I asked them to weigh it. Turns out they put in almost an entire gallon of propane but the flow rate was too low for the meter to register. This is at U-Haul and there equipment seems a little suspect to me. The meter worked properly with the 20# tank I was also getting filled.
In our state meters like this are tested and certified by State Dept of Ag. at all flow rates. If they don't pass, measuring the product passing through they're tagged and nothing can be sold until recert.

I'm sure some States are strict and others more lax. Given CA's inability to manage money I'd go with the latter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #95

A 20 lb propane tank holds 4.5 gallons of propane and weighs 37 pounds full. I live in Delaware where it cost $3 gal. at our local gas station. No sales tax either.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Old 12-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #96
Site Team

Ok, this thread is being led off topic, and has a few posts totally unnecessary. It is being closed pending a site team review and cleanup.

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
Closed Thread

Tags
tank