Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Filling LP tanks

Here is a very rookie question. I looked in the thread referring to LP tanks but did not find the answer.

On our TT, we have two 33 gal LP tanks. There is LP in both tanks, but I would like to top them off. When I go to an RV Park, Camping World, a gas station, wherever, do I have to disconnect and carry the tanks to the filling station, or can they fill them with it connected to my TT?

Is this decision based on law, the dealer, or what?

I know this is a very general question, but I have only had our tanks filled once. And we had to disconnect and carry to the filling station. I have an injured back and would prefer not to disconnect.

thanks
Old 11-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Depends on the filling station.

Typically, they should be removed and then the filler puts them on a scale and weighs them when filling.

Some places don't care and if their hose is long enough, they will simply ask you to pull near enough to attach the hose and pump LP until the meter stops.

You really should get in the habit of removing your tanks to get them filled and then you won't be disappointed when they ask you for the tank and fill it the right way.

Oh and BTW... I'm guessing you have two 30 POUND tanks and not two 33 GALLON tanks!

And also... depending on the filling station... some only charge for the amount that goes in the tank when topping off and other places charge a flat fee based upon tank size no matter how little it takes to top it off.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
Old 11-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Howdy rookie (your words)

This thread may help, and even has a link about refilling and exchanging propane cylinders.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #4

unless they are completely empty, without putting them on a scale you will be charged for a full tank no matter how much was still in it.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 11-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
unless they are completely empty, without putting them on a scale you will be charged for a full tank no matter how much was still in it.
Not always...

I just had three filled today. (2-20# and 1-30#)
All three had varying amounts left in them.

None of them sat on a scale during filling and I was only charged the combined gallonage on the meter once all three were filled.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

Smile

Quote:
Fill them at Tractor Supply. They only charge for what you need and they might even carry them back to your truck for you. Also, their price is always competitive.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
Old 11-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not always...

I just had three filled today. (2-20# and 1-30#)
All three had varying amounts left in them.

None of them sat on a scale during filling and I was only charged the combined gallonage on the meter once all three were filled.
I must frequent primitive places. All of them used scales, I didn't see a flow meter on them. My ignorance

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 11-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

Every place I have been to measures out in gallons but they use the scale to know when they are full.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Not really a true statement . depends on the where . out west lots of places sell by the gallon . i find very few if any use scales anymore . since the 80% shut off was mandated they just open the bleed valve till it starts to come out . anyone that sells by weight is a rip off as are the exchange a bottle .
Old 11-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Here is a very rookie question. I looked in the thread referring to LP tanks but did not find the answer.

On our TT, we have two 33 gal LP tanks. There is LP in both tanks, but I would like to top them off. When I go to an RV Park, Camping World, a gas station, wherever, do I have to disconnect and carry the tanks to the filling station, or can they fill them with it connected to my TT?

Is this decision based on law, the dealer, or what?

I know this is a very general question, but I have only had our tanks filled once. And we had to disconnect and carry to the filling station. I have an injured back and would prefer not to disconnect.

thanks
Depends on where you go if you can get close enough and they have a long enough hose you can get them filled without removing them . i don't believe there is any law preventing it since motor homes have tanks that can't be removed and are filled in place on the unit so if they fill motor homes there then can most likely accommodate you
Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Think the best answer is to call the facility where you plan to take them and ask. If it is a full service propane distributor you chances of only being charged only for a partial full are higher. Should also be prepared to transport them in an upright position as some facilities will not fill them if you are transporting them lying on side.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #12

Between two TT's dating back to 1995 I have never had a tank weighed. On my trips I merely pull up to the dispensing station, pull the tank cover, remove pigtails, and say "fill er up".

Only time I have had to remove the tanks is when I take them off at home and take them to be filled. The ONE exception was at a KOA in Ellensberg WA where the park attendant asked if he could just take the tanks from my site, fill, and return, as if I parked at their dispenser I'd block the entrance.

Since the advent of OPD valves the value of using a scale has been greatly negated. Perhaps some local regulations still remain in the dark ages but none that I've encountered in a dozen States I've traveled through.

To add, my tanks are clearly marked that the use of the "spit valve" is even optional now that OPD's are installed.

As for paying a flat rate, not where I buy propane. If that's their policy I move on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 11-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #13

I top off mine at an Ace hardware store, ( popular on east coast) and they have both a scale tanks sit on and are gauged by pds put in. My tanks last throughout summer, so I can’t say for other places that fill tanks
Old 11-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Depends on where you go.
My place fills and I pay for what they put in. By the gallon.
And I take my tanks off.
When a tank expires (12 years). I exchange at Walmart for $15. For a 20 pound tank with 17 pounds in it.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #15

You said , " top them off ", most of the time one should be full and you are pulling from the other , Most TTs have an auto switch over regulator with an indicator to indicate which one is empty .
Old 11-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
You said , " top them off ", most of the time one should be full and you are pulling from the other , Most TTs have an auto switch over regulator with an indicator to indicate which one is empty .
That's how it works on mine too. Yes, I know which tank is empty but when I go to get them filled (while on the trailer) I want the other tank "topped off".

Old 11-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #17

The place I go to usually(U-Haul) used to always fill until the liquid came out the bleed screw and then you just paid for the gallons delivered to the tank. They claim regulations changed and they are no longer allowed to open the bleed screw so they weigh the tanks to tell when they are full. They still only charge for the gallons delivered.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The place I go to usually(U-Haul) used to always fill until the liquid came out the bleed screw and then you just paid for the gallons delivered to the tank. They claim regulations changed and they are no longer allowed to open the bleed screw so they weigh the tanks to tell when they are full. They still only charge for the gallons delivered.
Chances are that there is no local reg requiring use of the scale but u-haul is just applying one that affects a couple of their stores somewhere else in the nation to ALL locations.

Around here nobody uses scales and fills purely through the meter. Some still open the outage valve but most just fill until OPD shuts off.

Seems like it's all over the map on this.

What's amusing is when I was at Quartzsite last January and bought propane at the RV Pit Stop they operators filled 20 and 20# tanks still on the trailer tongues and tanks that were off the vehicle they just used the scale for a place to set the tanks. Nobody bothered to even look at it's readings.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #19

Got one of my 30 lb tanks filled today, which was empty. I had a 20 lb tank in a grill that felt like it had maybe 1/4 to 1/3 left in it. The date on the 20 lb tank was 11/09 so the cert on it will run out the end of this month.
Got them filled at my local u-haul store that does not weigh...they just charge for gallons pumped through the meter. 10.4 gallons was $36.28 ($3.49/gal)

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
Old 11-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
Site Team

Our local tractor supply does it properly and uses the scales to ensure it's correct on the portable DOT cylinders.. Pics taken about twenty minutes ago when I went to get one refilled for Thanksgiving turkey frying.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191126_131457.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	219891Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191126_131634.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	219892

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
tank