Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #21

We have made something similar for a long time.

Take one full sheet of newspaper. (Remember those?). Form a "pillow" by taking the four corners, clip with a toothpick and fluff out the form.. Light the corners and watch it burn. The ash stays together and the hot air makes it rise.
Good for up to 30 feet or so before it collapses.

Warning: only do this when no wind and in an open fire.

Cheap and fun.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Agree, like only on an ocean cruise otherwise, they cannot be controlled.

All I can say is if I saw someone setting them off around my property or me, I would immediately call the law enforcement folks.
911 Operator - What's your emergency?
There are some whipper snappers somewhere launching fire balls up in the sky and they are flying over my property.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
Always Learning

The one campground I go to sells them in their camp store. They organized a launch of them at Labor Day last year. 100+ of them, no damage to anything. And, I even followed 2-3 that landed early (still hot but fizzled out immediately).

I do question their safety- but it's one of those things, the vast majority of them are not causing problems. I also question the environmental "litter" aspect- but people do balloon releases all of them time and it's no different (in fact, I'm willing to bet balloons take far longer to break down).

They look cool, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401800296.058725.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	54215
Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #24

I dunno, but I would think fireworks would be a lot more dangerous yet millions of them go up in the sky during 4th of July and New Years...and you don't hear anyone call them insane...for the most part.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I dunno, but I would think fireworks would be a lot more dangerous yet millions of them go up in the sky during 4th of July and New Years...and you don't hear anyone call them insane...for the most part.

I would call them insane, if they were setting them off in the trees.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #26

New Jersey State Division of Fire Safety put a ban on them a little while back. Inspectors are allowed to work with local PD and confiscate and fine if appropriate, I'm not sure if they are allowed to be sold or not as I haven't done inspections in a few years. Fines in general are very rare as compliance and education are the main goals of most fire inspectors, I haven't heard of any directly related to these devices so far.
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The one campground I go to sells them in their camp store. They organized a launch of them at Labor Day last year. 100+ of them, no damage to anything. And, I even followed 2-3 that landed early (still hot but fizzled out immediately).

I do question their safety- but it's one of those things, the vast majority of them are not causing problems. I also question the environmental "litter" aspect- but people do balloon releases all of them time and it's no different (in fact, I'm willing to bet balloons take far longer to break down).

They look cool, though.

Attachment 54215
I know the response to, if things turn bad. OPPs
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #28

Found one in my yard a few months ago, but we had a lot of snow on the ground so there was no risk.
I would expect them to be relatively safe right now since we have had plenty of rain in PA. As already pointed out we light off fireworks during what can be a very warm and dry time of the year. Just have to weigh the risks.
I would love to see a large number like Ependydad shows. My kids watched Tangled about twenty times so they would get a kick out of it.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #29

They sold them right at the camp store at the (Youroo) tadpole rally. Some one (not mentioning any names) was setting them off all night. looked like we were going to war with Kentucky at times. Next morning they were all over the ground (and Kentucky was still there)

Good times!
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
Canadian Member

We've used them once but in a wide open area near a large water body. They ended up drifting the other way over a wooded area but not until they were a few hundred feet up in the air. I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough to buy any more but we enjoyed them that one time.

Here's a website I found with some safety precautions that sound reasonable
Flying Lanterns
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #31

The commercial ones have very fine wires that cause serious health problems to horses and cows when they land in jay fields and get bailed up with the hay
And as a rural landowner I get real tired of having these and old helium balloons stuck in my trees or littering my woods
People that would never think of throwing a dirty napkin out the car window still send their trash off into the sky
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
The commercial ones have very fine wires that cause serious health problems to horses and cows when they land in jay fields and get bailed up with the hay
And as a rural landowner I get real tired of having these and old helium balloons stuck in my trees or littering my woods
People that would never think of throwing a dirty napkin out the car window still send their trash off into the sky
X2 Encocapt, as long as they have fun who cares how it affects others or their property? I think they should be arrested for littering as well as endangering others.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
So you pick up all your shell casings and paper and plastic wads and you've never shot hazardous lead out the end of your guns either I suppose? 😆

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
So you pick up all your shell casings and paper and plastic wads and you've never shot hazardous lead out the end of your guns either I suppose? ��

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
I don't want people leaving shell casings or plastic wadding on my personal property, or firing lead projectiles through it without my permission. If they want to do this on their own property, no problem. I think it's a matter of respect for someone else's property.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I don't want people leaving shell casings or plastic wadding on my personal property, or firing lead projectiles through it without my permission. If they want to do this on their own property, no problem. I think it's a matter of respect for someone else's property.
X2
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #36

So to the few of us that enjoy these things: we are DUMB, we are insane, and last but not least, we should be arrested.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
So to the few of us that enjoy these things: we are DUMB, we are insane, and last but not least, we should be arrested.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #38

The paper won't burn but will melt. The fire source is a wax covered paper or cardboard of some type and burns slow and not as hot as I thought. I was very worried about this while launch but a hundred or so went up Memorial Day and was nice. I thought I had pictures but can't find them. All in all it's safer than u thought it would be.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
...burns slow and not as hot as I thought...
So, because it is not as hot, (like a match is not as hot as a torch) it won't set anything on fire? Thank goodness. Let's all buy about a 100 and get with the program!!! Environment be darned, we're going to have fun!!!!

Just razzing so don't get your britches in a wad.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So, because it is not as hot, (like a match is not as hot as a torch) it won't set anything on fire? Thank goodness. Let's all buy about a 100 and get with the program!!! Environment be darned, we're going to have fun!!!!

Just razzing so don't get your britches in a wad.
I'll take 10

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"