Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
I like others would hate to see the day where your "Campfire" is propane, nothing like that crackle and pop. We stayed in a CG in eastern Ontario abd for $5.00 got this huge nylon feed bag......thought well this could be good. Looked inside our new found treasure and it was a bag full of lumber cut offs like someone raided a construction site. Kiln dried wood sure did burn hot!

Kevin
Watch out for treated lumber- nothing like roasting hot dogs over a "superfund" fire.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #22
Site Team

Odd thing about this "no outside firewood" rule is....where does the campground get the wood it sells you? Someone is cutting it elsewhere and selling to the cg.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Odd thing about this "no outside firewood" rule is....where does the campground get the wood it sells you? Someone is cutting it elsewhere and selling to the cg.
I think that the main thing is that they don't want you bringing it from long distances. I would assume the campground is getting it locally.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #24

Down here at the local CG they still let you bring firewood but not from out of state. There were really dry conditions a couple years back and fires were prohibited but they didn't mess with the propane campfires.
Bought the little red campfire. Works neat. You dont dial the flame up real high. Would reccommend you keep a cheap pair of gloves and chip brush handy they get real sooty. I keep the ceramic logs wrapped back up in the bubble wrap...they can break and be troublesome to replace
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #25
Site Team

Many of the State Parks here use firewood from routine tree work within the park. This may be one reason why some of the wood is not as dry as some would like.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #26

If it is the dry season in Florida, some campgrounds will have a ban, yes. But again, I imagine any state going through a dry spell would do the same.

Most parks with a fire ring will not have a ban unless it's a really bad drought.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #27

We too prefer an actual wood fire in the evening however we do use a propane fire pit at times for a health reason. We camp seasonally (no TV) and have met some great people here. One friend has a rather severe respiratory problem and can't be near smoke from a regular fire. He can enjoy being around a propane fire with no risk. The "Outlook" pit we use has a variable flame control that gives off a good looking fire. One trick is to arrange your rocks with spaces above the flame ring underneath. This allows the flames to rise up higher between the rocks rather than be flared around the rocks.
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

In the past few years, Colorado State Parks have had bans on firewood burning but it's due to the risks of forest fires. (The last one, which was in Black Forest, was only a few miles east of our house...if the winds would've shifted our house would've been gone.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #29

Here in PA it's not recommended to move wood. But they can't stop you from doing it. They just ask that you burn everything you bring and leave no extra. It's because of the emerald ash borer. But in the next county north of mine, nothing can be moved out of certain townships due to the Spotted Lanternfly. This includes firewood, RV's, anything that sits outside for more than a few days at a time. RV's and other equipment that sits outside are supposed to be inspected before leaving the township or you get fined.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #30

ALL Georgia State Parks have the "bring NO firewood into park" rule. There is a Corps of Engineers Park some 90 miles from me (Cotton Hill) and they also have the "bring NO firewood into park" rule. I actually saw the campground host at Cotton Hill stop at one campsite to ask them where they got the pile of firewood they had. When told that the campers brought it with them he confiscated the firewood but did give them some firewood from the parks supply.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #31

I picked up a propane fire pit at Sams Club last summer and have been glad I did. You get about 6 hours on a 20# tank on high... maybe 9 hours on low to medium. Plenty of flames on low, but higher heat generation on high for those cool nights. I grill hot dogs, burgers and steaks in a wire basket over it. You cover the lava rocks with a metal cover that latches on when traveling and I haul it around in a carrier hanging off the bumper. Road vibration does grind a little dust of those lava rocks so I keep it outside. Probably weighs about 35# plus the propane tank of course.

I now take issue with campers that purchase that crappy (and expensive) camp firewood and build smokey fires with it... especially when the smoke blows over into my campsite. In less then one season, I know that I have saved enough from buying wood to pay for the pit.

I searched SAMS online for it just now and don't see it online... as I recall I think I paid about $80-90 for it. I also searched Amazon and still see nothing like it in that price range. It is about 2 feet in diameter and sits about 12 inches off the ground on three sturdy legs.

I even took it to NFL tailgate parties. Turn it off and it is cool enough to pack up in about 10-15 minutes.
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #32
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
I bought the Outland 58K BTU...
Had the Outland bowl for a couple of yrs now - love it. Picked up a 20 ft propane extension hose to run it off the TT's bottles. No more spare propane tank.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote