Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #1

Flushing black water tank with outside shower connection.

I have a Rockwood GEO PRO 17RK travel trailer. The hose connection to flush the black water tank just happens to be about 6" from my outside shower. For $3 I purchased a plastic 1/2" NPT to 3/4" GHT male to male adapter. So, after a weekend of camping when my black water tank is only 1/4 full and I both want to dump the black water tank and empty my fresh water tank for the trip home, I can just unscrew the shower head from the outside shower from the outside shower, and use that hose to connect to the black water tank flush connection!

Turn on the outside shower faucet, empty my freshwater tank and get a nice flush of my black water tank at the same time! I'm not overly concerned about bacteria at the outside shower because I hardly ever use it for that purpose, but a quick wipe with an anti-bacterial wipe will take care of anything anyway.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #2

Have done the same as you in the past with An rpod I used to have. Will have the opportunity to do the same with my geo pro when dumping at a location without water.

Albeit- pressure is not the same for the rinse.
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

Just my 2cents, but I would only use a dedicated black tank hose to flush my black tank. My fresh water hose is white, and potable water safe. My black tank rinse hose is black. I do not want any possibility of cross contamination. I do not believe these trailers come with backflow prevention devices, like at our stick built homes.
SierraEPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraEPro View Post
Just my 2cents, but I would only use a dedicated black tank hose to flush my black tank. My fresh water hose is white, and potable water safe. My black tank rinse hose is black. I do not want any possibility of cross contamination. I do not believe these trailers come with backflow prevention devices, like at our stick built homes.
Actually, the connector for black water tank flushing that goes through the wall of the trailer is the exact same connector that is used for the city water connection, which does have a check valve built into it. Also, simply turning off the outside shower faucets prior to stopping the fresh water pump will keep anything from flowing back into the potable water system.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Turn on the outside shower faucet, empty my freshwater tank and get a nice flush of my black water tank at the same time!
clever way to kill two birds with one stone when on the freshwater tank, good job, ... the device below will make flushing the black water tank just as easy and quick when hooked up to city water, ... I used to drag out another 25' hose to flush, but now a short hose run over to the flush unit, and with a shutoff valve, on and off couldn't be easier, ... I like quick disconnects, but they're not necessary, just handy, ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-90-...22463/23500741

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Ga...-Off/546812216
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1107.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	232857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1113.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	232858  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

BE CAREFUL!!!! Leaving the black water hose connected could cause an accidental black flush. I had a similar set up and left the black tank cleaner valve open. Only to discover the tank filled up and was pouring water out of my roof vent.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraEPro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Actually, the connector for black water tank flushing that goes through the wall of the trailer is the exact same connector that is used for the city water connection, which does have a check valve built into it. Also, simply turning off the outside shower faucets prior to stopping the fresh water pump will keep anything from flowing back into the potable water system.
If your black tank cleanout is factory installed it will look like this, or at least it should. This is a typical install and the vacuum breaker/check valve may look different but the plumbing should be routed the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	black tank cleanout1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	232859  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
BE CAREFUL!!!! Leaving the black water hose connected could cause an accidental black flush. I had a similar set up and left the black tank cleaner valve open. Only to discover the tank filled up and was pouring water out of my roof vent.

Forgive me... but that is a funny oopps.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
nope, I don't leave that hose connected, only used when dumping and flushing, ... that pic is used to better explain my post, having that faucet device provides a water source at the back end of the camper for washing hands, ect., ... actually, since I use the Sewer Solution, that hose goes down to it and then back up from there with a "Y" valve(shown below), ... but without the SS, it would just be a short hose from the faucet over to the tank flush, ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1105.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	232869  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, flush, show, shower, tank, water, water tank