Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
4FROGGERS

Fresh water tank filling while using city hook up

Hello everyone,

My wife and I were camping this weekend with full hook up, I notice this morning that the fresh water tank was filling up also and water coming out of the fresh water fill tube cap? Help never had this happen before.
Thank you Glen
4FROGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

The check valve in the water pump is leaking.

1) Are you using a pressure regulator? High campground water pressure can damage the pump and other easy targets like the toilet flush valve and faucets.

2) Turn off and remove the city water hose. Open a faucet until the water stops running; then close it.

3) Run the pump to pressurize the system. Does the pump keep running or short cycle with everything closed? (Short Cycle - keep turning on and off - not hold pressure)

4) If the water system won't stay pressurized, the check valve has failed. You can rebuild the pump you have with a pump kit or replace it.

Pump Repair Kits - SHURflo
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
4FROGGERS

Thanks very much,
I read about the check valve failing after I sent that posting,. I was using a pressure regulator and will do some further testing before rebuilding the pump
Thank you again
Glen
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

It happened to me over the winter also....my solution for me while we were at Fort Wilderness was to open the drain for the fresh water tank until we got home. Once I got home and took the pump out, once I got the head off I noticed that the rubber gasket that the check valve rested on had moved allowing the valve to stay open ever so slightly.......put it back in place, put the head back on and now it works like a champ. It may have even been the water pressure down there that pushed it out of the way.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
4FROGGERS

Thank you all again I will do some looking and check back In later this week.