RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #141

Coleman are decent for the price. I had a 274BH, paid 14K for it 2 years old, but it was immaculate, like new inside.

Of course you do get what you pay for. Cheap fittings, cheap cabinets, etc. The trim on the cabinet edges is the pressed in plastic T trim and they cut every end short by 1/2". Where ever they wiped the putty filler they used a stained rag that left marks on the ceiling. I freaked when I saw it, thought the roof was leaking and I had buyers on the way, but found it was just stain.

However, after 4 years with lots of camping, I replaced one thing, the 30 amp main breaker. They over torqued the screw which let go and caused it to trip when the water heater was on. I did replace the kitchen sink with a stainless steel one because the RV antifreeze had ate away the finish prior to me getting it. I also replaced the queen mattress. Anything that I did do was an upgrade, and it paid off as I got 11,500 for it after 4 years owning it.

However, Dutchmen trailers are ALL like the Coleman regardless of cost. We had looked at some higher end 5th wheels that were 30K or more and they were falling apart. Forest River isn't the "greatest" but overall quality is better than Dutchmen in appearance. Time will tell though, right off the bat my "new" 2020 3660 needs 3 new slider cables replaced, they are all frayed in the same exact place on two slides. Still waiting for the third cable to come in so they can replace them.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:12 AM   #142

Just got back from our first trip with the new rig that has the Norcold 12 Vdc fridge. All in all it performed better than I expected. I took out the crappy dealer 12 volt & installed (2) VMaxtanks 6 volt 225 aH AGM batteries. I started dry camping on the fully charged Batteries at 9pm Friday nite. On Sunday morning at 9am the batteries were at 11.7 v.
This was without running the unit in night time mode, using led lighting, water pump, a few hours of furnace time, snd a few hrs of stereo. The weather was in the 90’s during the day and the unit maintained an average freezer temp of 8 degrees and An fridge Temp of 39. There was no Charging of the batteries during that 36 hrs. I’m guessing I could extend this to 48 hrs by using nite mode. I must say I was quite pleased with the results. I plan on adding a renogy 200 watt stir case solar set up to Trickle charge these and extend my time. Just thought I’d share the results. I know from your comments the Furrion unit sucks. The Norcold 10 cu ft 12 vdc unit seems pretty good. Let’s hope it stays that way.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post

I bought mine in May and I am still waiting on warranty authorization.. then I have to wait for parts. I'm thinking my first camping season is going to be with a nonfunctional camper.
Bought mine in May also, in the same boat! Just went out and bought more batteries, gas cans, and water jugs with an electric transfer pump so I can make it thru this weekend. Just gotta love new campers!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #144

Mine did not pass the overnight test. With only the reefer on, nothing else using 12v other than the radio in standby mode, went to bed with 12.3v, looked this morning at 7AM and 11.7v. Checked the temps and both boxes were 60*. So much for the 10.5v cutoff. So much for Furrion saying 75AH battery, mine is 105AH.

This was with it in the off grid setting. Test results= FAIL
Old 08-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #145

I guess I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my Furrion DC fridge. This is my first RV, so I went into it not knowing much, though did some research beforehand. I wanted a propane reefer, but my wife wanted the additional storage space of the DC only model. I told her she's crazy, that the propane one had plenty of room. As is usually the case, she won, and we got the DC. As is also usually the case, she was right, we needed the space. My wife is an excellent cook, and loves doing it, and this didn't change in the least bit once we got an RV. She's one of the few I think that uses the RV oven consistently. So, I love the room in the fridge... But it's a power hog!

I told the salesman that we were primarily going to be doing dry camping, and to his credit, he did recommend I buy a second battery, and said we may be better served with a propane model (2020 model had propane, 2021 had DC, and both were available). He also seemed skeptical that we would actually dry camp often.

Anyhow, with generous generator use (for the A/C), the two 75 Ah 12 V batteries worked out okay. On cooler trips when we didn't need to run the A/C, we noticed that battery life started to become an issue. So I got rid of the 12 V batteries and installed two 6 V 215 Ah batteries. This made a huge difference, but I still couldn't get a long weekend out of the batteries without generator use (though we don't practice good power management). The small 50 watt solar panel that came with the trailer didn't do much to offset the fridge. So now I'm in the process of installing an 800 W solar setup and adding two more batteries so I'll have a 430 Ah bank (215 Ah USABLE). It's been a lot of time and money I've been putting into making this fridge work for me... But I love the 10 C.F. storage capacity for my small trailer.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #146

Agreed. I also love how quiet it is. What brand is yours?
Old 08-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Mine did not pass the overnight test. With only the reefer on, nothing else using 12v other than the radio in standby mode, went to bed with 12.3v, looked this morning at 7AM and 11.7v. Checked the temps and both boxes were 60*. So much for the 10.5v cutoff. So much for Furrion saying 75AH battery, mine is 105AH.

This was with it in the off grid setting. Test results= FAIL
Thank you for your support. May we have better luck in the future. I haven't heard back from the dealer on mine yet and leave Thursday for 4 days of dry camping. Bringing lots of gas for the genny just in case!
Old 08-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg2724 View Post
The Furrion is not quiet, about as loud as the furnace.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #149

Quote:
Just got back from our first trip with the new rig that has the Norcold 12 Vdc fridge. All in all it performed better than I expected. I took out the crappy dealer 12 volt & installed (2) VMaxtanks 6 volt 225 aH AGM batteries. I started dry camping on the fully charged Batteries at 9pm Friday nite. On Sunday morning at 9am the batteries were at 11.7 v.
Don't get in a habit of letting them get that low. Get some solar on there and you should be fine though.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Don't get in a habit of letting them get that low. Get some solar on there and you should be fine though.
Thanks for the tip bro!!! I definitely will not. Just wanted to do a thorough test. Appreciate the advice. And Iím sure Iíll have lots of additional questions
Old 08-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #151

Quote:
I have the same Furrion fridge as the OP. I wouldn't describe it as quiet. It's not terribly loud, but you definitely know when it's running.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #152

On mine, the AC overrides the reefer fans, but when the AC is off, you definitely know there is a reefer in there.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #153
JSP

So.. I finally got an email. Still waiting on warranty authorization from Furrion for my fridge. Can't imagine what the hold up is? This trailer is brand new.. fridge never worked and the dealer agrees I need a new one. What could possibly be in question? Of the things wrong with this the fridge is the most annoying. If I wasn't already paid up through November I'd drop this back off at the front door with a keep it note on it. June 8th I let them know it wasn't working.. and still not even an authorization to replace it?
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
So.. I finally got an email. Still waiting on warranty authorization from Furrion for my fridge. Can't imagine what the hold up is? This trailer is brand new.. fridge never worked and the dealer agrees I need a new one. What could possibly be in question? Of the things wrong with this the fridge is the most annoying. If I wasn't already paid up through November I'd drop this back off at the front door with a keep it note on it. June 8th I let them know it wasn't working.. and still not even an authorization to replace it?
I sent an e-mail to Furrion support describing my temp spread and battery drain. They took about 3 weeks to reply and asked for pix of serial & model numbers and date of purchase. I sent them the same day and got a response in the morning with a Case # to take to my dealer to replace the refrigerator. My dealer says he has ordered a new one. We'll see how long it takes to get it. In the mean time I just run my generator to the annoyance of others. On the bright side the freezer works great!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #155

Residential refrigerators are on the way out. How long will it be before the 12 volters follow?

https://youtu.be/ZU5VUpvQQII

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Residential refrigerators are on the way out. How long will it be before the 12 volters follow?

https://youtu.be/ZU5VUpvQQII
LOL and if you believe that guy, you won't ever operate your awning! BTW...they give a glowing review of the Furrion 12V fridge on their youtube page.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #157

So, what was wrong with his suggestion to stop the awning after a couple feet and let the strut catch up? If it lets the struts last a few more years, is that bad advice?
Old 08-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #158

Quote:
So, what was wrong with his suggestion to stop the awning after a couple feet and let the strut catch up? If it lets the struts last a few more years, is that bad advice?
LOL...do you do the same with your card hood or your car's liftgate? Its the exact same strut design.

Catch up? LOL...what does that even mean. It's oil through a valve. Same design as the shock absorber in your car.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #159

The struts do the work lifting the tailgate or hood, the awning motor pulls the struts faster than the struts would deploy it, and thats what he is explaining. Forcing the struts to expand weakens the valving, and that is what his whole point is. Do you lift the hood, or let the struts do it? Try it, can you feel them fighting you as you force it up?
Old 08-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #160

Quote:
The struts do the work lifting the tailgate or hood, the awning motor pulls the struts faster than the struts would deploy it, and thats what he is explaining. Forcing the struts to expand weakens the valving, and that is what his whole point is. Do you lift the hood, or let the struts do it? Try it, can you feel them fighting you as you force it up?
You can't be serious. When you operate an awning, the struts are expanding contracting at a fraction of the speed of what a car strut operates at.

Tags
fridge