Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Generator?

We are new to RVing and will be picking up our very first travel trailer next week.

I have noticed that many people use a generator with their trailer/RV.

Do we need one? If so, what wattage and other attributes do I need? I'd also like to be able to use it for backup power for my home.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Team

If you always have hookups, you don't need one.
Only those of us that dry camp or boondock, may need a generator.

If you plan on doing that, you need to answer a few questions :

1. Will you be using it in a campground or for boondocking?
2. Do you want to run the a/c or just recharge the batteries.
3. Do you want quiet or cheap? can't have both.

Solar panels are an alternative but you can't run the a/c.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Thanks, Dan.

To address your questions...
1. Will you be using it in a campground or for boondocking? Both.
2. Do you want to run the a/c or just recharge the batteries. I expect we will occasionally run the a/c off of it.
3. Do you want quiet or cheap? can't have both. Quiet is not an absolute requirement -- just a nice to have.

And as I noted in my post, I'd like to be able to use it as backup power for my home. We live in a rural area and power failures are fairly common here.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Team

What size a/c do you have and how many?

If you want to run it in a campground, you need to get an inverter generator.
Honda and Yamaha are the gold standard but there are many other brands are competing with them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #5

Yamaha and Honda are the gold standard for unaffordable generators.

A generator is a must even if your don't dry camp. Last summer, there was a pretty bad accident on the road headed back home. The highway was closed for over 6 hours and traffic backup lasted longer. We pulled off onto a dirt county road and found a spot to open our slides, fire up our generator, turn the a/c on, cook lunch, dinner, and spend the night until the next morning when things were finally cleared up.

You will want at least a 3,000 watt continuous rating generator. A lot of 3000 watt generators are actually 3000 watt surge and 2800 watt continuous. Read the specs carefully. Inverter generators are quiet and more fuel efficient then open frame construction type generators.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a Boliy Geneator from bottomlinetrading or a 3100 watt continuous rating inverter generator from CHampion. Some folks prefer to get two 1400 watt generators and run them in parallel and run them both at same time when more power is needed. I'm not a fan of having 2 generators. Twice the maintenance required.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgem View Post
Thanks, Dan.

To address your questions...
1. Will you be using it in a campground or for boondocking? Both.
2. Do you want to run the a/c or just recharge the batteries. I expect we will occasionally run the a/c off of it.
3. Do you want quiet or cheap? can't have both. Quiet is not an absolute requirement -- just a nice to have.

And as I noted in my post, I'd like to be able to use it as backup power for my home. We live in a rural area and power failures are fairly common here.

Thanks again for your response.
I think the key bit here is the last paragraph...."I'd like to be able to use it as backup power for my home." 3000 watt isn't going to be enough. Depending on what you want to run at home will dictate the size you want. I have a 7500 watt Black Max strictly for the house and can run everything except the central a/c. This is hooked up to a switch box, so I can turn different circuits on or off, as needed.
We all have different styles of camping. My DW won't camp unless we have electricity. So, we always go to CG's that have that at a bare minimum. Now that we have a motor home with a generator, it opens up other possibilities.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Thanks.

13,500 BTU I believe.

Don't mean to sound daft, but what is an inverter generator?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Thanks.

Yes, I've heard that 7500 watts is ideal for backup power, but I'm thinking I can probably get by with 5500 if I am prudent about what appliances I use in an emergency....Maybe not, though.

If I am looking for a generator that is suitable for both powering the TT and use as a backup at home, are there some features that are required for double duty. I've seen some generators who are described as having an "RV switch." Is that some kind of transfer switch?
Old 08-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #9

Check Tractor's Supply for the Champion line of generators. They also carry Generic and Boliy brands.The 3500/4000 unit sells for about $300. The 7500/8000 sells for $800. All of my Champs have held up very well over the last 5 years. Mo problems what so ever, just keep the synthetic oil changed every 100 hours.
The Honda and Yamaha inverter gens are a lot quieter, but you can buy three 3500/4000 Champions for the price of one 3000 watt inverter Honda units and parts for the Champions are easily bought. I have never had to replace any parts on any of mine, but I saw carburetors for sale for them on Amazon.
BTW, the 3500/4000 unit weighs 95 lbs if weight is an issue which it always is RVing.
The Champion 3500/4000 has a 240 plug, 2 x 120 plugs and an RV 30 amp plug. A toggle switch that changes 120 to 240 VAC. I use the 240 VAC to connect to our home for power outages as we live in an area with lots of summer storms that leave us without power for up to 2 days.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

mrgem,
I am in the same market as you . I want a generator to run my TT (Flagstaff 27 BEWS w/a 15000 BTU) AC and a few appliances (refer and water heater will be on propane) and also a unit to run at my home(a small window AC,refer and a small television and maybe the curling iron ) in the event of power outages.
I talked to my dealer rep and he recommended at least a Yamaha 5000 watt generator as a minimum. Just so happens they had one on sale to fit the order. Hmmm...
Anyway, my research indicates I will not need that large of a generator. Something over 3000 watts should be sufficient for my needs. I also want to store and transport the generator in the back of my TV (pick-up truck) that has a bed cover (approx 21" high). And based on the dealers recommendation, I want a unit that has an invert-er (protects sensitive electronics..computer,flat screens ect..) and a 30 watt plug receptacle.
So far the only unit that has all the above is the Boliy 3600 Series generator http://www.boliygenerator.com/index.html.
This unit also has an auxiliary fuel tank for longer run times.
Also as I understand there is a electrical product that will reduce your "start amp" draw from your AC unit (on the RV) by 65 to 70 %.
https://id144248.webhosting.optonlin...&products_id=4
All said, I guess this little package will set me back maybe $2K. A lot cheaper than 2 Honda 2000K units that have small gas tanks and no AC power saver is included in this order.
Think I have made my mind up.
Thanks, RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #11

I think you will find that the "electrical product that will save you on your start ups" is nothing more than a $35 capacitor that you can install on your AC yourself. Sure sounds different coming from a salesman
Just out of curiosity, what does the Boliy 3600 weigh? I ended up installing a crane in the bed of the truck just to lift my 95 lb gen. Not 18 anymore and not going to screw up my back if I can help it.
BTW, the 3500/4000 runs the 15,000 btu AC and has leftover for other small draws like the TVs and Bluray system. I have never had any problem with my gens interfering with my TVs, computers, microwave or any other electrical appliances. I've heard the same argument about modified sine wave versus pure sinewave inverters, but have yet to see this occur after years of use.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #12
Site Team

A generator for home outage usage may not be appropriate for campgrounds.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:09 AM   #13

An RV generator will not provide enough power to run your home as normal. With that said, we had a power outage last week and my RV generator was sufficient to run my two refrigerators and makeshift interior lighting. It was enough for the bare essentials till power came back on.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A generator for home outage usage may not be appropriate for campgrounds.
And I agree 100% with bikedan on this. Most large (3500 and up) are way too noisy for campground, hence the "No generators after 10pm" at most. For quiet, you pay. Therefore the $$$ for a Honda 2000
Even at home, my generator is noisy. I have modified it so I can put a muffler on it and routed the exhaust upwards,away from the house.
Personally, unless someone really feels the need to take a generator along for dry/boondocking, I wouldn't worry about it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #15

The invert-er generator avoids the cyclic power delivery that is common with generators. The constant power is safer for sensitive electronics, computers and flat screens ect... Damage does not immediately show up, so I've been told.
The Boliy only weighs 77 lbs. about half of a Honda 3000. And the noise at full load is the same, 58 db.
My home use will not be for the entire house. Just one small window AC, a refer and small television.
Along with the 5000K generator recommendation from the dealer, he also recommended that the generator have a 30 amp plug and was a unit with an invert-er, for the above mentioned issue. The Boliy unit has all of the above and an auxiliary fuel tank kit.
Honda ,Yamaha are good for some, but for my use and configuration this Boliy unit seems to be the winner.
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #16

We have have a Yamaha 3000 inverter. In an emergency situation this is enough to save your house. I have run our fridge, freezer and sump pump twice this summer due to power outages. One time for 18 hrs. I have also run a small construction heater and our furnace fan. Nope, you wouldn't have all the luxuries but your home will not be damaged from the results of having no power for an extended time.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #17

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this. This has been a real learning experience.

It sounds like I'd have to spend $3-4k for a generator with ALL the features I need PLUS some you all have recommended.

Because this is our first foray into RVing, and we have no idea of whether we will enjoy and continue to do it for years, spending that much on a generator probably wouldn't be prudent at this time.

The lower-cost generators are all a compromise. Either they are too loud, have limited power output (I need 240v to make it practical as a home emergency power source), aren't inverter equipped, or weigh a ton. I've found only 1 priced below $1000 that meets MOST (but not all) of our criteria. It is the Champion Power 100161
Champion 100161 Power Equipment Reviews & Ratings @ Power Equipment Direct.com

This unit is heavy and loud, but produces tons of power. I'm told Champions have a pretty good reputation, too.

Thanks again to everybody who shared their knowledge!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #18

Looks Like a Single Generator May Not Satisfy My Needs

You guys have really helped.

I know more about generators than I ever imagined. I now understand the difference between inverters and conventional generators.

Sounds like a smaller (3000-3500 watts) inverter generator for the trailer is the ticket. Backup/Emergency power for our home -- since it is rarely used -- could be a larger (4500-7500 watts) conventional generator. The attendant noise and "dirty" power could be tolerated because of its infrequent use. A transfer switch and surge protector would be useful at home.

Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #19

generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you always have hookups, you don't need one.

Having hookups is no guarantee. After being caught with power outages at campgrounds 3 times due to storms and equipment failure, I carry 4000 watts of power along with me. If I know I'll need to run both 15,000BTU AC's I bring along the Honda 6500 watt. The 6500 is my home back up unit also.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #20

Is your trailer gen-ready?
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator