Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Generator in Emergency?

Has anyone ever used their RV's generator in an emergency power outage to power things in their house (heating equipment, food storage)? With the storm forecast in the area this week end I'm just wondering about the possibility of having to do so.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

It is possible, but with lots of Caveats .You can run HD extension cords from an appliance to the RV to power things like a few lights, and a fridge, but you need to be careful not to overload the cord or RV breaker. DO NOT connect the RV power to the house electrical system unless you have a transfer switch in the house to isolate the power mains. You will most likely not be able to run large household appliances ( Microwave, water heater etc) but lights, tv and a fridge should be OK.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Safest Answer is No! Move to the RV for the storm. Things like fridges and freezer if left closed will last for while. If it Ice storm the temp will low enough to last for a long time.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

No larg RV to power the items, but if needed, I would use my small Honda EU2000 (13A output) to power my smaller 55" LED TV and hopefully the receiver/speakers, modem, router, electric blanket, some lights (all are LED) and I could survive in cold weather. Dogs sure would not care.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

What size generator?
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #6

No matter what some people will tell you about how good of an idea this is, it can be very dangerous to the lineworkers that will be working to restore power to you. Without a proper double throw transfer device, its entirely possible to backfeed the service to your house which will backfeed the utility company's transformer which will energize the high voltage lines that they're working on. If you're not set up for it now, you'd probably be best to run a cord from your Rv to what you want to use and plug that equipment into the cord. I disconnect the regular power to my furnace and wire a cord up to it during an outage. I'll run that and the refrigerator and maybe a light until power is restored.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

I back feed my generator to my house and just pull the breaker, I don't have the room to install a double pole breaker. All the people that work on power lines are supposed to wear safety equipment, power people can never assume that a line has no power. I have been doing it for thirty years through a lot of storms with no power and never had a problem. Every storm that comes by I pray it will knock out the power so we can stay in camper and have another camping trip, DW says I'm crazy, I like to camp

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I back feed my generator to my house and just pull the breaker, I don't have the room to install a double pole breaker. All the people that work on power lines are supposed to wear safety equipment, power people can never assume that a line has no power. I have been doing it for thirty years through a lot of storms with no power and never had a problem. Every storm that comes by I pray it will knock out the power so we can stay in camper and have another camping trip, DW says I'm crazy, I like to camp

Very BAD way to Post a UNSAFE practice that could KILL/Injure a Power Worker! Just 1 person who reads your Post could "Forget" to pull the Main breakers and Workers are in Danger! Any State Elect.Code would NOT allow your method! There are LOTs of Other people involved that could be Killed by your Miscue Method,"Fireman,Road Workers,your Neighbor by the Power People saying after checking "Power is Killed" then your method is employed WITHOUT pulling the Main! Now Everyone is in Danger! Youroo!!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #9

Well...since we have an old Onan out of an old Dodge MH for a back up....(PITA to set up) And have run HD cords inside from our champion inverter Gen (friendlier power to electronics). But our winter storm setup now is to use an electric heater in the camper so its already warm, draw containers of water, and the campers ready to move into if needed, and just plug into the quieter champion if we want TV and such.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

If you have a newer type electrical panel with a true "main" breaker rated for the maximum your meter is rated for; (200 amp breakers for a 200 amp panel), opening those breakers will isolate your home from the pole completely.

What you then do on "your" side of the breakers will put no linemen at risk.

The downside is that you will not know when power is restored to the pole unless you monitor your neighbors for lights.

You should also reduce the load on your house to allow your generator to run at its lowest power setting (if an ECO setting is available) to reduce noise and fuel consumption.

Once power is restored to the pole, you MUST disconnect the generator prior to reopening the main breaker.

This little work around is DANGEROUS if you have an older style distribution panel with only a "lighting main" in those panels the 220 breakers, like the range or air conditioner, are hard wired to the pole and there is no true pole isolation.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

Sorry Herk,your method will NOT pass any Elect.Codes! Youroo!!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

Spend the $5,000 and get a whole house generator😁

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #13

I don't have generator in the trailer but do have one for home use as we lose power frequently enough to warrant its use. I have never bothered with a whole house disconnect so I can plug in at will. I have added a double pole manual transfer switch on the well pump and a power inlet so I can have water during an outage. For me it is just easier to run extension cords through a window to run the appliances we need and not have to worry about what might get turned on unknown and overload the generator.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Very true.
And if you had any sort of "incident" while doing this your insurance might
very well balk at paying.

On the other hand, it will keep the beer cold and the freezer frozen.

We are NOT saying it's OK.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Very BAD way to Post a UNSAFE practice that could KILL/Injure a Power Worker! Just 1 person who reads your Post could "Forget" to pull the Main breakers and Workers are in Danger! Any State Elect.Code would NOT allow your method! There are LOTs of Other people involved that could be Killed by your Miscue Method,"Fireman,Road Workers,your Neighbor by the Power People saying after checking "Power is Killed" then your method is employed WITHOUT pulling the Main! Now Everyone is in Danger! Youroo!!

I don't think so. It's worked the same for most people I know. After your house is wired for electric who uses code to add a plug. My panel box has had a lot of breakers installed in my panel box since it was built and I bet very little to code. When working around electric if you value your life you will treat all electric wires as live. I pull my main breaker on the panel box but a lot of people forget.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
You are right!

However, if the choice is this or hot beer and frozen pipes ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
You are right!

However, if the choice is this or hot beer and frozen pipes ...
If you have freezing pipes I think you would be freezing beer which is worse in my mind. Knowing the beer is in there and unable to get it out the can would make for a miserable day.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #18

Okay gang I think I'm misunderstood here. I'm talking about running an extension cord into the house to power some portable heating equipment and a couple of lights in an emergency outage. I'm not looking to hook into the house itself.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Okay gang I think I'm misunderstood here. I'm talking about running an extension cord into the house to power some portable heating equipment and a couple of lights in an emergency outage. I'm not looking to hook into the house itself.
That is is the safest way, and yes it can be done.

On my motor home I have the 'manual' disconnect for the generator. There is a 30 amp 120 plug box where I have to plug the 30 amp cord in if I want it to power the motor home. I built an adapter plug with a 30 amp plug on one end and a 3 gang box with 3 duplex plugs on the other. It will allow me to run the cord through a window and plug up a few appliances. Generator is only 4,000 watts. Our usual game plan if the power goes out is to head for the camper, it has propane heat, fridge and all the comforts of home and is easier to keep warm than a much larger house.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #20

We have looked at doing that but our MH is covered for the winter and is on a slight slope in the driveway which would make it difficult to stay in for a long period. I would probably only use the generator in a extreme emergency if the power is out for longer than 10-12 hours.

Tags
generator