Old 05-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Hearing protection from Television

My husband likes to watch movies in our tiny MH that involve machine guns, helicopters, and car races. I have tried noise cancelling headsets and they don't work well enough.

I want to be made deaf. I think range shooting hearing protection might be the right thing. I have done a little research and a lot of them involve electronics, which I don't need, or they are $10, which seems pretty cheap. I don't mind paying less, but I don't want to keep trying out and returning headsets. I just don't want to hear anything.

Can anyone recommend excellent non-electronic hearing protection ear muffs?
Old 05-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #2

Perhaps you ought to equip him with the headphones to listen to the movie. Your neighbors might appreciate the silence.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

oh my, it's not that loud! We live in a 24 ft motorhome, I can't escape it!
Old 05-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

Have you tried the little "marshmallow" ear plugs. They're cheap and after a short while you get used to them.

Problem with most "Shooting Ear Protection" is that if it covers the ears they get uncomfortable quickly. Both from weight and sweat.

Another option would be some ear buds for your phone or MP-3 player. Put those in your ears, turn up the music and it will drown out the TV.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

Get him a bluetooth headset / headphones. It will sound far better than he TV speakers.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep... YOU are not the one that needs to conform.

Get HIM wireless headphones. He'll think he is in the middle of the action!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

You could try noise cancelling earbuds. The highest rating are the NRR 33. These are sold by almost all hardware stores or online.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ear+plu...nb_sb_ss_i_7_4
Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
RV There Yet?

I got a set of these TV headphones and my wife loves me even more now! these are on ear, so your ears dont get sweaty and are super comfortable. i have some over ear ones, and i can only wear them for a short time before they bother me.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS...9485429&sr=8-4
Old 05-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
Sunseeker 2400MBW

The headphones are a great idea! I ordered the Sennheiser. And
I ordered this thing to make the TV bluetooth ready > TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter/Receiver from Amazon.

Thanks so much.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
rfifer

If you do get some hearing protection for yourself, the design that goes around the ear (in contrast to a plug in the ear) tends to offer greater reduction of sound among the non-electronic choices. You want to go for a NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) of at least 32 dB and closer to 40 dB if you can find them. I took a quick glance on Amazon and found one with a NRR of 37, and that is a very good number.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

hearing protection

I was on the Army pistol team and we put 6-8 boxes of .45 ACP downrange, sometimes - indoors! That's loud.

I agree with all that the listener should use headphones. But if that's not an option for reasons beyond the scope of this post, here is a recommendation.

Double plug. Get the little foamy ear plugs (which are amazingly effective by themselves) for about $10 for 50 pairs. Then buy a high quality pair of shooting ear muffs. That is quiet quiet quiet. I did this for years.

This system is so good that your ears become more sensitive after not being abused and when you take the muffs off and just have the plugs in...you can hear normal conversation.

Alternately, you could use the mil type silicone "christmas tree" (rod with multiple conical rings) and wear under muffs. Some of the silicone ones are very soft and will fit almost any ear, but ideally, you want to try a couple brands/designs/sizes for optimum NR.

By the way, one other version of this is use expended pistol brass and put it in your ears, open end inward. (let the brass cool off first) My ears are nearly perfect .38's, my coach wore .45's!

Good luck!
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
rfifer

I am a former Air Force audiologist. As I was working with some guys on the flight line, I found one using live 45 caliber shells (with the tip pointing down the ear canal) as ear protection. I don't really recommend that model for sound reduction, although those shells are plentiful around a military firing range. I had visions of this guy stumbling into something sharp against the firing pin on the shell. THAT would be enough to ruin his whole day - besides the fact that it provided no decrease in noise exposure after the initial boom! And, it had the potential to expand his ear canal to a much larger size!
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #13
Site Team

The new generation of hearing aids are Bluetooth-capable and can be connected to cellphones and tvs.
I was reluctant to get hearing aids until I found out about them. Now I listen to music thru them and don't have to wear headphones or ear buds. And I can tweak mine for different environments.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #14

I have the TV Ears. I put them on at night when my wife goes to bed . I can turn the sound off at the TV and sound system and the TV ears still work.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #15

FYI

Ear protection provides ATTENUATION of outside noise. Nothing affordable will attenuate to the point of inaudibility.

Spring for a Bose or similar quality noise cancelling headset. This type of headset ACTIVELY listens to incoming sound and makes the reverse of that sound..."canceling" out the noise. Part of the effect, however, is that you simultaneously use the headset to listen to music or another program source....which also masks the outside noise. But with no "distracting" noise of your own, even the best noise cancelling headset won't give you silence.

Another caveat. Even a noise cancelling headset cannot keep up with the erratic shock or impact sounds of an action adventure movie. These headsets cancel out most STEADY sounds...such as the roar of jet engines, but the noise from a movie explosion or rifle fire will only be ATTENUATED...not fully cancelled out. The headset can't possibly keep up. It has to listen and "keep up." The crack of a rifle comes and goes so quickly, that the headset can't listen, replicate and reproduce the reverse sound before it's over. If a flight attendant approached you and spoke to you, you'd hear it...perhaps need it repeated, but you'd hear the person speak.

So, your option really is to demand that your spouse watch TV wearing his own headset. But once again, you will still hear something. If you've ever sat on a plane next to someone using earbuds, you know what I'm talking about. The sound pressure level is very much reduced, but the tinny quality of the sound can be annoying in its own right. Not only that, but as you hear the escaping sound, you may well wonder if your spouse is playing the program so loudly that he's going to go deaf...which may well be the case.

Bottom line? As a practical matter, what you want doesn't exist for anything like a reasonable price...or with any reasonable level of comfort.

Best option, you spouse wears the headset.
Next best, you use soft foam earplugs and endure.

In favor of earplugs. We once camped on the Colorado River. Little did I know when I made the reservation, but this is a heavy train shipping route. A train about every hour all night long. LONG freight trains that could take 5 or 6 minutes to pass. The train tracks were across the river, and the campground sold foam earplugs. We were able to sleep. I still have them, and they also work great for my stepson's construction site level snoring. They take a considerable amount of the edge off the noise, but you sure as hell can hear everything even with them in.

You might try a sledge hammer on the TV.

2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #16

Pricey but Bose Head Phones would do the trick; but you brought me to another question. I am hearing impaired and single so any recommendations on hearing the TV as I know these small TVs don't have sound bars? At home I have to adjust the volume pretty loud and in a Hotel I have to suffer because I don't want to annoy the adjoining rooms.
RMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFP View Post
Pricey but Bose Head Phones would do the trick; but you brought me to another question. I am hearing impaired and single so any recommendations on hearing the TV as I know these small TVs don't have sound bars? At home I have to adjust the volume pretty loud and in a Hotel I have to suffer because I don't want to annoy the adjoining rooms.
After ignoring my wife for years I got hearing aids, Oticon Opn these have a box that plug into the TV and beam it right to my ears. They also directly connect to my iphone.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
After ignoring my wife for years I got hearing aids, Oticon Opn these have a box that plug into the TV and beam it right to my ears. They also directly connect to my iphone.

I have Phonak Audeo’s which do the same, they work amazingly well except I wish the TV box had better range, if I go to the kitchen for something they lose connection and it is only about 30 feet from the TV and is line of sight. I put a set of over-the-ear hearing protectors on and turn on the music while riding the lawn tractor for cutting grass or doing other outside work, really nice option to have.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:

I know hearing impaired; wearing aids for over 25 yrs. When a friend talked about a problem like yours, I recommended these. He tried them and now uses them nightly. If ego is a 'thing' then smart phone and earbuds are good, but can challenge a budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight.../dp/B001T7QJ9O
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #20
Do It Yourselfer

Hearing Aids

Have your husband see an Audiologist for a hearing test. Sounds like he has a hearing deficiency.
I've wore hearing aids for about ten years. My second set 'Blue Toothed' to my cell phone. The Starky 'True Connect App' has many feature for customizing for particular situations. Geo tagging a location will automatically change to the custom setting when you enter the GPS location.
Instead of your husband raising the volume of the Tv he can adjust his hearing air volume. (P.S. he can also listen to Music on his cell also.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
television