Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Help me change to LED lighting

LEDs keep coming down in price and I'm interested in changing the interior lighting to LED and maybe adding more lighting ( i like it BRIGHT when I turn on the lights!)

I read, in passing, threads on this in past years but the cost wasn't all that cheap and I didn't pay enough attention I guess to know what was needed - I don't feel like rewiring lights to 'fit' in bulbs.

Have things 'evolved' now where one can get 'drop in' replacements?

What lights do I need to get,and where do I get them? (ebay vendors, some site, camping world?)

What is good or bad about the different choices?

We plan to bookdock for the first time this year so I have a 'need' for them - plus I just want more light in the TT!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #2

Jump over to KY Dans Post,they are discussing that very issue right now. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

That other thread is primarily about exterior running lights; a much trickier mod to remain within DOT specs.
I just relamped all the interior lights in my Viking 16FB with LED's. All but the porch light were 921 type, T15 base lamps and pretty easy to find via Google from a variety of sources. The porch lamp was a 1156 bayonet base lamp that was also easy to find a direct replacment LED for. I picked the flat panel type of lamps because they direct all the light produced directly down and not back towards the relatively low quality reflectors in the typicla RV light fixture. They cost more than the omnidirctional types, but I believe the put more light where it's needed in most cases. So no need to re-wire new fixtures; there are plenty of direct plug in replacment lamps out there. Simple mod for interior lighting. Running lights are another story where focal points and CP ratings are a lot more critical in meeting DOT requirements. Personally, I have no interest in using LEDs for running lights; power isn't an issue when running, lamp design is more complex and I don't see any return on the cost unless I was spending a LOT of time in transit and lamp life was an issue.

One note of caution though. LED's do create quite a bit of electrical noise that may interfer with radio reception if that's important to you. Actually, it's a LOT of noise on AM, and significant even on FM. You might consider ordering just one replacement bulb to test before investing the bucks for all new lamps. My little 16' box cost $150 to relamp.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

$150? Not sure it's worth it then. I will get at least one and see what it's like.

Yeah, I"m not concerned about running lights either.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Yeah a little pricey; but still cheaper than a multiple batteries if you do much dry camping at all.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote