Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #21

Size these baskets to your cabinets (in our 5er the Medium stackable & "Ultra" Baskets fit perfectly front to rear in our cabinets with the door closed) The ultra basket is what you would want for bottles and other tall items. The stackables are great for canned goods and boxes.

We not only use them to hold foodstuffs and bottels, we use them in the bedroom as underwear, sock and other small item "Drawers" Works perfectly, and when you mark the outside with the contents really organizes everything in your rig

Sterilite - Storage: Baskets & Bins
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #22

Containers

We use the cardboard containers from six packs of beer. Works great for small bottles and drinking glasses.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #23

I see lots of good ideas posted here.....but....

...One inexpensive storage item we find invaluable when packing for travel is "pool noodles" ...cut into the sizes & shapes that it takes to fill gaps between bottles, to apply pressure on items to be held in place, placed in drawers, ...and many other uses.

One very important use we found for a piece of 'pool noodle' was to keep the microwave turn-table in place underway....was to put a piece of pool noodle install it vertically tightly between the turn-table and the inside top of the microwave.
This we found out after a rough road trip the turn-table had somehow popped out of the microwave and shattered into a million pieces, plus it was very hard finding a turn-table to replace it.

Even in the basement areas I have found uses for 'pool noodles'
... I carry spare pieces to use when needed.... Plus...they are light !

Hope this helps
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
Cyber Phrenologist

Well, here's how we handle keeping stuff in place...

(Note: The trailer is "between trips" so that accounts for the empty look. Some folks like to stuff towels, pillows and all sorts of things in the cabinets to hold things in place. We don't. But our floor plan has so much storage we'll never fill it all up as part time campers.)

Practically everything in the cabinets is "organized" into tubs, bins, baskets or boxes. In fact, practically everything in the entire camper is organized this way. Sauces, oils, coffee and tea fixings, spices are grouped together in their own tubs. We have found things stay put pretty well this way.

We use unbreakable dishes. Of course they go in bins. It's not all that neat, but they stay put!

Flour, sugar, grits and such go into unbreakable recycled peanut butter and mayonnaise jars. In fact all sorts of things go in plastic jars. Q-tips, for example. We keep plastic grocery bags and laundry soap in canisters left over from making "weight loss smoothies."

A 3 drawer organizer handles first aid items, insect repellent, sunscreen, ect. The organizer doubles as a book end. Shelves designed for school lockers add usable space in the cabinets.

Narrow drawer organizers keep things from falling out of the medicine cabinets. There is also one Velcro'd in place under the TV in the entertainment center that keeps up with all the remotes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	84137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0016.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	84138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0017.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	84139   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0019.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	84140  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #25
Cyber Phrenologist

And a few more...

A soft drink flat keeps caned goods from rolling around and a Serilite (sp?)bin makes an excellent bread box. And all the bins, baskets, tubs and stuff rides on that non skid shelf liner.

Hoses, power cords, sewer stuff, chocks & leveling stuff stays in flip top bins in the cargo bay.

We have 2 narrow bedside wardrobes that we converted into shelf space with hanging closet organizers.

The crock-pot lid stays put by use of a towel and a string. The counter top basket keeps the kitchen uncluttered and just rides on the floor for travel.

All this makes the trailer easy to pack, easy to find what you are looking for, and in 8 years of towing we have never had anything break or spill.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	84142   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0020.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	84143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0021.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	84144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0026.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	84145  

Old 07-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #26
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
One very important use we found for a piece of 'pool noodle' was to keep the microwave turn-table in place underway....was to put a piece of pool noodle install it vertically tightly between the turn-table and the inside top of the microwave.

Hope this helps
Islander
Yes! That alone was worth the read!

I bet another chunk would keep a pizza stone in place in the conventional oven.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #27

We used the dividers from the liquor box which protects the item from falling over and banging together when traveling
b1hasj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo View Post
I lined my shelves with the rubbery type of shelf paper and then cut squares to put between plates, bowls, etc. I put big bottles like oil to the back of the cabinet and then single layer of cans and smaller containers towards the front. we were using the spring rods as a final safety catch but everything usually rides really well. because the cabinet I use for dishes and pantry has glass doors, we cut pieces of the box that our generator came in to put inside the front of each shelf. works great.
That rubbery shelf lining stuff- that's the best way to go! We've never had to use anything else, but we don't have a rear kitchen, and I think things get jostled around a lttle bit more with the rear kitchen.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
That rubbery shelf lining stuff- that's the best way to go! We've never had to use anything else, but we don't have a rear kitchen, and I think things get jostled around a lttle bit more with the rear kitchen.
We have a rear kitchen and we don't do anything to bottles, etc. Our icemaker sits on the rear counter and never moves, of course I fabricated shock mounts and have shocks on our torsion axles which makes a world of difference contrary to popular belief that you don't need shocks on an rv.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #30

We like using the Sterilits storage bins. We managed to get sizes that fit our cabinets perfectly!

Sterilite - Storage: Baskets & Bins
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #31

I just drink what's in the bottles and then recycle them
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #32

When packing, we have a number of modest size, cheap plastic bins that we try to containerize everything that goes into th e compartments. Makes packing and unpacking less of a chore. We also keep a couple wine boxes with the dividers left in for bottles and beverages
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We have a rear kitchen and we don't do anything to bottles, etc. Our icemaker sits on the rear counter and never moves, of course I fabricated shock mounts and have shocks on our torsion axles which makes a world of difference contrary to popular belief that you don't need shocks on an rv.

I like this idea. Makes perfect sense to have them on your RV as well with all the bouncing on some of Americas finest ( no pot holes ) paved roads.

By chance, do you have any pics of them? Would love to see them.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #34

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have the spring style cutain rods installed to keep things from falling out of cabinets. The Ice Maker sits on scoot gauard on the counter and doesn't move. Tassimo sits beside it with nothing and doesn't move. We wrap wine and liquor bottles with scoot guard or the mesh protector they give at the wine store.

No shocks and traveled some pretty rough roads! Looking to add some when I can some day.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote