Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Insulating Windows when not in use

Some one on forums mentioned using insulation board (I think) cut to fit Windows to use when storing rv. Also helps to keep sun from fading materials inside in place of using blinds. I need the name of that stuff and where I can but it. Thanks for your gelp
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Lowes or Home Depot.......it's found around the insulation aisle, looks like silver bubble wrap...Retoflex, I think.. Comes in a roll, and scissors cut it, also different widths...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Cardboard with aluminum foil taped to one side.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

I use Reflectix, it is an aluminum foil bubble wrap. It is easy to cut to size and lasts well. I used to use it on my pop up, saved the pieces when I sold that then cut them to fit my Airstreams. It comes in handy too if you want to completely block out light from any outside source like a street light.

It comes in a variety of sizes so choose the roll width that will work best for you. I also use some aluminum tape on the edges to give it a finished look.

It does a great job of keeping the interior cooler as well as reducing the sun fade, lightweight and doesn't take up much room for storage.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

I found something at staples that worked for us. Some type of poster board material I think, It is white on both sides and foam in the middle about a 1/4 thick. Trimmed it with scissors it fit right in the narrow gap of the window molding.
RandyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

I found "InfraStop 48" X 25' Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation" at Amazon, now about $42 a 25' roll. Also available in 24" width. Does a really good job for both summer and winter. Rigid enough to place at the windows but flexible enough curve with the windshield. Pushed against each window and outlined the crease with a magic marker. Cut generously with sewing scissors, put in place and then trimmed to neat fit. I think most of what is being mentioned here is essentially the same product. Amazon is just easy.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

White Foam core boards. They are available in different sizes and thicknesses at artist supply stores. You can cut them to size with a sharp utility knife. The art supply store may cut them to size for you if you ask, with their mat cutters. I just stack them in a pile on a bunk when not in use. They're great for heat retention or keeping it out, specially since most RV's don't have dual pane windows. I like them also next to my bed for black out purposes since my RV doesn't have black out blinds either.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

window insulation

If you're up for some extra work, there's a product called "Warm Window" that is very effective. Google it - available on line and in some fabric stores but go to their website first and read about it if you're interested. It must be cut to fit, then a liner sewn to the back and mounted with magnets or Velcro. I've used both it and the aluminum bubble stuff and it is definitely worth the extra work if you camp in cold weather enough. Not worth the expense and work if all you want is sun protection.
jmaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Reflectix on Cardboard on every window !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2.....can also use it to line inside cupboards...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote