Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

IPHONE Tips

Just a few little tips for your iPhone I learned, that helped me.

I'm no iPhone tech guy and I truly do hope they can help you.

UNWANTED TEXTED MESSAGES:
You can send a reply "STOP SENDING MESSAGES TO THIS NUMBER" then look at the number showing on top of the message sent. NOW look to you right of the NUMBER (ON YOUR RIGHT) and you will see a small down arrow. Press the small down arrow and a contact screen will appear showing the number that just texted you. Go to the bottom of that contact screen and BLOCK THAT NUMBER.

HOW TO BLOCK NUMBERS
DO YOU GET A LOT OF UNWANTED CALLS? Here is how to block incoming numbers. FIRST, go into SETTINGS. NEAR the top is "DO NOT DISTURB" and click it. On this next screen change to green DO NOT DISTURB. now the other stuff is straight forward. You may want to only let your contacts/FAVORITES call you and set up a schedule.

BLOCK THE NUMBER
NOW your set for any calls as they will "not" ring on your phone once set up and only your contacts can get through to you. When an unwanted number calls your number they will not ring but will show up on the PHONE APP under RECENTS caller. Once looking at the numbers click only on the I PAN DOWN the contact screen and click "BLOCK THIS CALLED" If they don't leave a message BLOCK the number.

HOW TO SEND A DOCUMENT TO A PRINTER

First, you have to have what is called an "AIR PRINTER" But here is how it works. NEXT turn on BLUETOOTH. This should also be a printer you have access to or given access to, permission to use a given PRINTER.

Now you had someone texted you, a PDF document, WORD document. OPEN THE whichever one you want to print out let's say a document. OPEN the document and look for a square box with an arrow pointing out of the top. Now click on the square with the arrow out of the top and watch the screen.
Here a box/window will open on the half bottom of the screen. you may have to move up a little to see the PRINT ICON and click on it. Here the PRINTER OPTIONS screen will appear. Note the printer line and if a printer or others are showing, Select your printer, then a number of copies, and top right (your right PRINT.

If you have a problem make sure the Bluetooth on the printer is also turned
on.

HOW TO PRINT OUT A TEXT MESSAGE
These folks have sadly charged other folks to do it this for them. Unbelievable to me.

Find the TEXT you want to print. Now at the same time press, the MENU button on the front bottom, and the side on and off button at the same time will take a picture of your texted message. Go into your photos to find the picture. Once you have it on screen. Just go back up to "How to Send a Document to a PRINTER print

JUST SOME FUN STUFF TO KNOW ON YOUR PHONE. If you already did that's great. NEXT time you post some more tips below for me to learn more.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #2

If you have an HP printer, their free HP Smart app allows you to print docs from emails etc From your phone without internet. Also it allows you to photo capture docs With your phone and the app will automatically reformat the pic to a pdf which makes it a legal form for title companies and banks etc. This app has been indispensable while on the road.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

I set my auto “Do Not Disturb” function to come on at 1700 and off at 1659. That means anyone not in my contact list is sent directly to voicemail. Works great.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I set my auto “Do Not Disturb” function to come on at 1700 and off at 1659. That means anyone not in my contact list is sent directly to voicemail. Works great.

Name:   F7B0068C-7D3F-47DC-A78B-D2F56F773790-9105-00000AC7C62B2177.gif
Views: 821
Size:  63.3 KB
Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaminaround View Post
Also it allows you to photo capture docs With your phone and the app will automatically reformat the pic to a pdf which makes it a legal form for title companies and banks etc. This app has been indispensable while on the road.
You can now do this with the latest iOS. You can also convert a screenshot into a pdf. When you take the screenshot, the entire page you are viewing is captured — not just what you see on the screen — then when you open the screenshot thumbnail you can choose to create a pdf.

I’m pretty sure this works with all devices using the most recent iOS, but I only discovered it after buying my iPhone 11 Pro Max (2019) and my iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2020) and going through the different “Tips & Tricks” suggestions, but I really don’t think it has anything to do with the specific devices.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

Tip for quick access to specific pages on this forum. Ie, go to your “Subscribed Threads” view. You’ll see an envelope with an up arrow icon (bottom center in iPhone, top right on iPad). Touch that icon then scroll down to “Add to home screen”. Select that, then change the name to whatever.

Now, from the home screen on your device you can touch the icon once and it opens Safari and displays your active subscriptions. You can create a home screen icon for any page in the forum. I have one that takes me to subscriptions and another that opens the Forester/Sunseeker main page showing all new posts.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

I got so tired of spam calls to renew the extended warranty on vehicles I never owned that I was ecstatic when the iphone got the ability to block all calls not in the contact list. It is on 24x7!

Downside, unless someone leaves a voice mail, I don't know if they are legit callers, so have to specify to someone who I expect a call to leave me a message so I can unblock their number.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
the iphone got the ability to block all calls not in the contact list. It is on 24x7!
My msg you hear when I don't answer goes something like this:
IF you are not in my contact list I will not answer. I will call you back if you leave me a message when you hear the tone.

So far I get only a message every now and then, so phone never rings UNLESS you are in MY contact list.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #9

I have a nice long message because I found several of these spammers use a 30 second delay tactic before responding. I have caught a few automated IRS spammer messages in my voicemail box too.

I have had several positive comments from people who have left me messages that they are going to steal mine. LOL
Old 07-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #10
PhD, Common Sense

I found a great app that is successfully blocking almost ALL spam calls. It is called Simple Call Blocker. It does one very simple thing that iOS should do, but does not: Block a range of telephone numbers.

For example, almost all of my spam calls come from spoofed numbers with the same area code and exchange as my phone number. I have blocked all numbers with those first six digits. I have white-listed my wife’s and my telephone numbers so my wife can call me and I can check my messages.

I haven’t gotten a single spam call since activating this software.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

iOS 13 does block all those calls, only numbers in your contact list are allowed through. If you call someone, they can call you back and it will be allowed until you remove the number from the recent calls list.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #12
PhD, Common Sense

I have a lot of different doctors who are not in my contact list trying to contact me right now. I don’t want them blocked.

Blocking all but contacts is a really bad idea for many people.

The app I suggested provides a solution to the precise problem I (and many others) are facing: illegal spam robocalls coming from numbers spoofed to look very similar to the number being called.

Under iOS, to block all calls that match the first six digits of my number would require me to enter 10,000 different individual numbers. This allows me to enter a starting and ending number to block all 10,000 numbers with a single entry.

It then allows me to whitelist a handful of numbers that I want to allow through.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #13

Everyone has a different use case, thats for sure. I got so tired of spams that not only came from the first 6 digits, but from several surrounding area codes. For me the iOS block was better than sliced bread. If it's important enough someone needs to talk to me, leave a voice mail. So far 99% of all calls received leave no voice mail. Haven't missed an important call yet!
Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
Site Team

I'm only posting this because I found it hilarious and thought other people would need a good laugh.

So mind-blowing!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/appl...162825789.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #15

huh, didn't know it has a calculator. "looks at watch" Oh wow, it does! adding that to my quick views since I am always using the iphone calculator, and here have one on my wrist all this time.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
huh, didn't know it has a calculator. "looks at watch" Oh wow, it does! adding that to my quick views since I am always using the iphone calculator, and here have one on my wrist all this time.
You can also use the crown to increase, or decrease, the tip percentage, or change the number of people so you can split the charges. (Although those rare times we split checks we do it based on how much each family/person spent and not across the board - that way I don't pay for Thirsty Terry's alcohol.)

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #17
PhD, Common Sense

iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 are battery killers!!!

I think I have found the culprit. Siri. Even though I have turned off her constant listening, she has used 88% of my total battery usage since my last full charge. 88%!!!.

I have turned her off completely. She used 21% of my battery in just a few minutes since getting up this morning. Since turning her off about an hour ago, my phone (unused, except to look at battery percents) has stayed steady at 79%.

I am about to finish her off on my iPad.

*eye goes a-hunting*
Old 09-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 are battery killers!!!

I think I have found the culprit. Siri. Even though I have turned off her constant listening, she has used 88% of my total battery usage since my last full charge. 88%!!!.

I have turned her off completely. She used 21% of my battery in just a few minutes since getting up this morning. Since turning her off about an hour ago, my phone (unused, except to look at battery percents) has stayed steady at 79%.

I am about to finish her off on my iPad.

*eye goes a-hunting*
I haven’t had any battery issues but had problems with phone locking up a few times a day. Nothing, including shutting down, works for about 1-2 minutes.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #19

I have had no problems with iOS 14. iOS 14.0.1 is out, so maybe that will fix your problem. If not, iOS 14.1 isn't that far away.
AlaskaErik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #20

I've been reading in Safari and just looked at the app and don't see a way to read "new threads"and also don't see the envelope with the arrow you speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Tip for quick access to specific pages on this forum. Ie, go to your “Subscribed Threads” view. You’ll see an envelope with an up arrow icon (bottom center in iPhone, top right on iPad). Touch that icon then scroll down to “Add to home screen”. Select that, then change the name to whatever.

Now, from the home screen on your device you can touch the icon once and it opens Safari and displays your active subscriptions. You can create a home screen icon for any page in the forum. I have one that takes me to subscriptions and another that opens the Forester/Sunseeker main page showing all new posts.
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote