Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

It's Time for Home Improvement

After three seasons of camping in our 2013 Solaire 201SS my wife wants to hang a couple of towel racks on the back wall in the bathroom (rear bathroom model) and a soap and shampoo holder in the shower. My question is are there wood or metal studs in the walls ? What is the distance between the studs and can a stud finder locate metal studs ? The shower has a flimsy plastic surround and I question if this will be an issue when mounting a soap and shampoo holder ? Lastly, can I install a molly bolt to hang the add on's without hitting a stud ? My fear is that I will run a screw thru the sidewall.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
steve
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

The walls are under 2" thick and are sandwiched to the aluminum studs. (Luan to stud, Styrofoam, interior luan to stud) a molly bolt is tough because the interior of the wall is usually Styrofoam so a molly will not expand on an exterior wall. The easiest way to find a stud is to look outside in the morning when your heater is on, you will see the studs.
The best way is to use a drywall anchor behind your accessories. If you hit a stud, switch to a self tapping screw.
You can measure your door jamb to get wall thickness and use a screw shorter than that thickness.
crunchman
Ps. The interior walls are typically 2x2's and are hollow.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote