Old 09-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

Keep wasps out of fridge vent trick

I got my trailer back in May of '14. When I did I made sure to screen off the vent area on the side of the trailer that hides the rear of the fridge.

I had some excess no-see-um screen It has very small screen holes and is made of a flexible fabric. I cut a piece that was just excess of the inside of the fridge vent. I used Gorilla tape to seal two edges, and some caulk to seal the sides of two edges on the inside of the vent.

Up until today, in all these years, I have not had a wasp problem. I was doing some interior cleaning prior to the next trip and noticed a nasty big wasp fly up into the vent, and then I saw all of the crud on the vent outside near where the critter entered. I used some foaming wasp spray up in the vent holes, and then saw about 25 wasps come falling out of the vent. After the activity ceased I pulled that vent grill off and took pictures of what I saw.

I loosened the caulk on one edge and was able to pull out the wasp nest. I then hosed off "gunk" left behind by the critters. Good as new... just need to reseal the one edge. I was surprised that after 5 years the Gorilla tape was holding still like crazy.

Next it is up to the roof to add a Soft Start I purchased on sale last month... bet I find some critters up there also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bugscreen01.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	239111   Click image for larger version

Name:	bugscreen02.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	239112   Click image for larger version

Name:	bugscreen03.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	239113  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

I put 1/8” hardware cloth or rabbit cage wire on mine to keep out the wasps and dirt daubers. I fastened it in with pop rivets. I would post a pic of it but I don’t know how on here
Old 09-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
I put 1/8” hardware cloth or rabbit cage wire on mine to keep out the wasps and dirt daubers. I fastened it in with pop rivets. I would post a pic of it but I don’t know how on here
We gave you a pointer to pic posting instructions in the other thread where you said you couldn't figure out how to post pics.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #4

How does your fridge get good airflow with that cloth?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	239745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	239746Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	638.8 KB
ID:	239747
Thanks Mr. Dan. Maybe it will only post them 1 time this time.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

We used some Gorilla Tape to hold down some plastic sheeting we had to put on my son’s roof to cover it while we reroofed it. We got a pretty good rain storm while doing it. Wrapped the tape over the edges and it pulled the paint off when we removed it.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
How does your fridge get good airflow with that cloth?
I had some excess no-see-um screen It has very small screen holes and is made of a flexible fabric.

Never see no-see-um screen? It is hardly cloth... just very flexible, unlike typical window screen. My 120V/propane fridge gets cold without an issue... no fans necessary.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #8

Camco makes those

I happened to spot these at Camping World when I first bought my TT.

Camco Flying Insect Screen for Dometic Refrigerator Vents
Boscorelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
I happened to spot these at Camping World when I first bought my TT.

Camco Flying Insect Screen for Dometic Refrigerator Vents

Those are the ones I use on my cedar creek
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

No thanks. I have to have the fridge working when it's over 90 while I travel. Now that I have fans on my roof, it kinda works now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I had some excess no-see-um screen It has very small screen holes and is made of a flexible fabric.

Never see no-see-um screen? It is hardly cloth... just very flexible, unlike typical window screen. My 120V/propane fridge gets cold without an issue... no fans necessary.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #11

I saw those and that’s what gave me the idea. I already had the screen from when I installed it behind the grill on my truck. Keeps the radiator and other assorted coolers clean and unbent.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
No thanks. I have to have the fridge working when it's over 90 while I travel. Now that I have fans on my roof, it kinda works now.
I've gone north to Lake Erie in May/early June, and to UP in MI in late Aug and Sept, but the days may get to 85 but usually not, and cool in the evening. July and Aug I stay home. Then I try to get south to FL and AL in the winter, so I never really see 90 or above.

I have seen your fan mod for your roof top you have posted pictures of... glad that I have not needed that. My 2 way Dometic will ice up a canned soft drink if I put it near to the fins and the freezer will keep ice cream hard. My fridge is on 24/7/365 plugged into my garage circuit, unless I am traveling or camping with 120VAC pedestal. I am gonna try some boondocking early next year, and see how it does on propane power for a week.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #13

All we do is drycamp. The worst was in 85 degrees where the sun hit the back of the trailer all day which is where the fridge is.

Fortunately, for where we live and camp, not many insect issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I've gone north to Lake Erie in May/early June, and to UP in MI in late Aug and Sept, but the days may get to 85 but usually not, and cool in the evening. July and Aug I stay home. Then I try to get south to FL and AL in the winter, so I never really see 90 or above.

I have seen your fan mod for your roof top you have posted pictures of... glad that I have not needed that. My 2 way Dometic will ice up a canned soft drink if I put it near to the fins and the freezer will keep ice cream hard. My fridge is on 24/7/365 plugged into my garage circuit, unless I am traveling or camping with 120VAC pedestal. I am gonna try some boondocking early next year, and see how it does on propane power for a week.

Tags
fridge, vent