Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5oh View Post
If your laptop is Windows 10, you should look into disabling automatic updates and also using a metered connection. Win10 will gobble up your data in a hurry if you let it.
Thanks for the info. Yes, it is Win 10, and my first experience with it. I'm still using Win 7 on my desktop, and am having some "old dog, new tricks" problems adjusting.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #22

Do you ever sit back at ask yourself...."how did we navigate this country for years and years without cell phones, laptops, tablets, TV's, people went on "Vacations" to "Get Away From It All." That's why down at our new cabin, I disabled the Satellite and the TV can only be used for watching a DVD in the evening with the grandkids. The only thing the laptop gets used for is downloading SD cards from our game cams. I know people like to keep connected, but this is just me and how I like to do things. No offense to those who do like to be connected at all times, that's your thing and I'm cool with it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Do you ever sit back at ask yourself...."how did we navigate this country for years and years without cell phones, laptops, tablets, TV's, people went on "Vacations" to "Get Away From It All." That's why down at our new cabin, I disabled the Satellite and the TV can only be used for watching a DVD in the evening with the grandkids. The only thing the laptop gets used for is downloading SD cards from our game cams. I know people like to keep connected, but this is just me and how I like to do things. No offense to those who do like to be connected at all times, that's your thing and I'm cool with it.
I get it, but it's apples and oranges. If we go to one location (a cabin) and stay there for a short time, we have no need to connect. If we travel to a new location every few days, especially places we have never been before, there is a need (at least for me) to look ahead at what options we have for things to do, routes to take, sometimes campground reservations, etc. Also, being out 2-3 months at a time, there is a need to connect for financial purposes- monitor checking account balances, pay bills, etc. We don't do tv or movies, or even play games on the computer, so that's not an issue. We don't even have a tv in the camper- I took it out when we got it home.
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #24

one thing I have not yet seen mentioned is that will traveling, I use a tablet wifi 's signal connected to my iphone (tethering it used to be called) hotspot function (providing the wifi to the tablet from the cell data signal) I use AT&T with an iphone 5 to hotspot up to 5 devices... using the larger screen tablet is easier on the data plan then the full-blown laptop. However, sometimes it is better to see and easier to use the full screen laptop to get the information that I need.

When I can, I setup at a McDonalds, a coffeeshop, many diner style restaurants, etc. that provide FREE WiFi service for their customers. Sometimes you can just park outside and pick up the signal, and sometimes you have to go indoors to find out the "secret" password they use and buy a meal while you are at it. This way you do not tax your data connection with large amounts of GIG's. I like my Samsung $279 wifi ONLY tablet from Costco, if you are looking to buy a tablet. They sometimes drop the price by $40-50 on specials. My wife frequently downloads books to read on her NOOK tablet while out and the cell data can handle that easily.

As you have probably already surmised, Verizon seems to be the goto provider for the best reception in the boonies, but I have found my AT&T reception to have gotten to be quite good in the past several years... so much so that I have not yet felt the need to switch providers.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #25

Phone's hot spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
your two phones you already have will work perfectly fine for your needs, and your chosen cell / data plan....

just turn on your phone's hot spot to share with your computer when needed.
Using a computer connected via the phone is sometimes called "tethering." As a part of a settlement with the DoJ, Verizon agreed to permit tethering on their network. I don't believe that's the case with AT&T and their resellers or T-Mobile. Check before you commit to a long-term plan.

StraightTalk is a reseller of AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon at lower rates. Their Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plan is the lowest-priced, best terms plan I could find. There's no contract. You get unlimited voice, SMS, MMS, and 12GB of data for $45 per month ($42.50 per month if you let them directly bill your credit card). After you have used the 12GB, they don't cut you off or bill you. They simply slow the data down. It still works fine for everything except streaming video.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #26

Phone usage

Not sure of your age, but we use TMobile... they have an unlimited plan if you're 55 yrs or older. 2 lines, all unlimited $60 per month, all taxes, fees, etc included.. we've used the service all over North, South, Midwest, Kansas, Colorado, Wy, Montana, Dakotas, etc.. great coverage.. just my 2 cents...
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #27

FWIW....our use nearly mirrors your plans. My wife has a phone (not smart) and I have a smart phone that for 8 months a year...never uses more thant a few gigs...then goes crazy for the months we are on the road. I use verizon UNLIMITED for JUST the months we are travelling then easilly drop it back to 5Gb for our time at home. All do-able on line. We also cross the border into Canada on a lot of trips and the Verizon Unlimited plan gives us data there...which their other plans do not. (Caveat...you must not exceed 50% of your data in Canada over 90 days)
I use a Win10 laptop and the phone hotspot function to get access when in remote places or parks with poor wifi. Quite satisfied with this arrangement and with the Coverage we get from Verizon just about everywhere.
Good luck with your planning and retirement!

Edit...may I also suggest you get the GPS app from Co-Pilot rather that eat lots of data underway with Google Maps. Maps are a one time download for all of N.America. App only costs about 10 bucks and is quite good.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom125 View Post
Not sure of your age, but we use TMobile... they have an unlimited plan if you're 55 yrs or older. 2 lines, all unlimited $60 per month, all taxes, fees, etc included.. we've used the service all over North, South, Midwest, Kansas, Colorado, Wy, Montana, Dakotas, etc.. great coverage.. just my 2 cents...
I have looked at that, but have a couple of concerns: their coverage is not as good, and their hot spot speed is limited to 3G.
I plan to keep an eye on their progress. It certainly is of interest.
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
FWIW....our use nearly mirrors your plans. My wife has a phone (not smart) and I have a smart phone that for 8 months a year...never uses more thant a few gigs...then goes crazy for the months we are on the road. I use verizon UNLIMITED for JUST the months we are travelling then easilly drop it back to 5Gb for our time at home. All do-able on line. We also cross the border into Canada on a lot of trips and the Verizon Unlimited plan gives us data there...which their other plans do not. (Caveat...you must not exceed 50% of your data in Canada over 90 days)
I use a Win10 laptop and the phone hotspot function to get access when in remote places or parks with poor wifi. Quite satisfied with this arrangement and with the Coverage we get from Verizon just about everywhere.
Good luck with your planning and retirement!

Edit...may I also suggest you get the GPS app from Co-Pilot rather that eat lots of data underway with Google Maps. Maps are a one time download for all of N.America. App only costs about 10 bucks and is quite good.
This shows my ignorance on all matters cell phone. I'm seeing a Go Unlimited plan for $40/mo which would give the dw enough data for her limited use, and a Beyond Unlimited for $50/mo which should give me what I need. I don't see much less expensive available. I know there are "fees and taxes" on top of this, but am I missing something?
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #30
Newly Retired

I have had both major carriers and found that to have the best options in more locations, I need to have a low cost plan with each of the two major carriers, until I find the one that worked best where I am parked.
Right now the big V is poor due to snowbirds, over crowding this spot. The big A, has a tower much closer.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #31

K& i, your ides of using the cell phone as a hot spot is very good. Take a close look at comcast as your "provider". It is very reasonable and they are on same towers as verizon nationwide.
That being said should you be in an area where the usage of tower "x" is very congested then the verizon "contract " user will have priority (yes paying a higher fee); but you will have same coverage as you have enjoyed as employee provided service.
texgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #32

Thanks, Texasgasman, but we don't have Comcast as a provider for anything, so I cannot access their wireless plan.
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #33

Comcast is owned by att now
texgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgasman View Post
I don't have anything from AT&T except a free email account.
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgasman View Post
I don't think they are.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Using a computer connected via the phone is sometimes called "tethering." As a part of a settlement with the DoJ, Verizon agreed to permit tethering on their network. I don't believe that's the case with AT&T and their resellers or T-Mobile. Check before you commit to a long-term plan.

[snip]

Larry
We have T-Mobile prepaid accounts for our iPads and for my iPhone. Although the T-Mobile website suggests that they do not allow tethering, I do successfully tether my computer to either of these devices. And, if one of the prepaid accounts is low, I can tether my phone to my tablet or vice-versa.

My only real problem with T-mobile is poor coverage in northern US and US rocky mountains.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #37
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Actually...Comcast bought AT&T.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Actually...Comcast bought AT&T.
Back in 2002, ATT spun off it's broadband capability and it was merged into Comcast. This was ATT's cable operations. As far as I know, ATT Wireless is still run by ATT. ATT internet is provided as part of Uverse over the phone lines.

FWIW, I periodically tether my ATT phone to my laptop while on the road, primarily to have a reasonably secure connection for financial work.

Some thoughts.

If you are going to be in Canada for extended periods, look to get an unlocked phone. (Note that ATT and maybe others will unlock a paid off phone from their network). With an unlocked phone, you can get a sim chip from one of the Canadian carriers for cell phone connectivity. Check the contract plans - last time I checked, many Canadian plans were not nationwide and calls to other countries were not as available as US carriers allow.

Wireless 5G technology is rolling out. It will provided significantly faster data capability and supports a much larger number of concurrent users. So, if I were looking to buy a phone at this point, I would opt for a relatively cheap older model and would look to get a 5G phone in a year or two when 5G is more widely available and initial surcharge costs of 5G phones start to drop a bit.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5g-tran...ews-28793.html
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #39

A couple f thoughts here. I have a shared plan with ATT with two smart phones and a iPad mini. Use both phones in backing up rv, one on speaker other with DW. Was able to ditch the walkie talkies which were never charged when we needed them. With iPad mini, can use several apps and is big enough for DW to use while traveling. WAZE app with voice has replaced the GPS and updates are free. Added bonus, ATT gives discounted data plan to veterans. Coverage has been good everywhere we travel, even in cgs.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
A couple f thoughts here. I have a shared plan with ATT with two smart phones and a iPad mini. Use both phones in backing up rv, one on speaker other with DW. Was able to ditch the walkie talkies which were never charged when we needed them. With iPad mini, can use several apps and is big enough for DW to use while traveling. WAZE app with voice has replaced the GPS and updates are free. Added bonus, ATT gives discounted data plan to veterans. Coverage has been good everywhere we travel, even in cgs.
What are “cigs”?

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote